You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

#126 2015-03-01 07:27:31

Yuca

Re: 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

Looks good.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#127 2015-03-01 07:32:06

Bop

#128 2015-03-01 13:13:24

Acrilan-Man

Ha! Yes Bop I look like a right bruiser there. Not my finest moment. Anyhow, I thought the evening was a great success - virtually sold out, both Simons on great form, Elms holding it all together well, and an audience I desperately wanted to be allowed to just stare at and take photographs of. Plenty of familiar faces there, though I didn't spot Woofy. I owe him an alcoholic beverage. For the record I am not the deformed skinhead depicted in the team snap. Below is a selfie from last week - Keydge cord, Kamakura chambray, vintage Rooster.

(url=)https://www.flickr.com/photos/ivylook/16066498413/(url/)

Last edited by Acrilan-Man (2015-03-01 13:47:02)

#129 2015-03-01 13:25:00

Bop

I like your get up there... is that a lavender shirt? And where the hell are you finding such clothes in these sizes?

Last edited by Bop (2015-03-01 13:30:05)

#130 2015-03-01 13:30:27

Tommy

Every Guvnor needs his minders.  That said the Simons are quite slight fellas,  so it's no wonder you and your man on the right look so much bigger than everyone else. You all look pretty sharp anyways. Is that green flannel or just the lighting?

#131 2015-03-01 13:32:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Me, Thee Captain and a charming ladyfriend of his rocked up for this. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening, the chat went on for about an hour and held my attention throughout.  Robert Elms did a good job of drawing out the normally reticient Simons who treated us to a fascinating tour through his career in the clobber game. There were about 200 people there, mainly men, of all ages. Most were wearing ivy gear, some more than others, ranging from full on sack suit to casual or work wear. It certainly put paid to the idea of a handful of middle aged men keeping the look alive in the UK.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#132 2015-03-01 13:35:15

Tommy

Wish I could of been there!

#133 2015-03-01 13:49:26

Acrilan-Man

Bop - I'm 6ft and a 42R. That HIS sack jacket I'm wearing in the Simons snap is a 44 so it hangs a bit loose, which I like, though perhaps not in photos.

#134 2015-03-01 14:42:33

Bop

I thought it must be something of a vintage to have the lapels that narrow..and H.I.S did do some great green suits is that the whole 3 piece get up? lovely stuff. I'm shocked and slightly saddened to hear you're only a 42R...it puts AC as my nearest competitor in the second hand clothes market, you're turnout gave me hope the good stuff was out there in my size, alas not

#135 2015-03-03 09:14:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#136 2015-03-03 09:17:19

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#137 2015-03-10 13:48:25

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#138 2015-03-11 02:37:44

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

All looking good mateys!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#139 2015-03-15 07:23:47

Thee Captain

A massive BIG Up for this..

A tremendous evening with some of the best dressed fellas I've ever seen in one room....loads of different takes on a "LOOK", and as ever with Johnny Boy...some excellent tales & history...

Shame it all fizzled out post natter due to the bar being shut (eh?!?) as there was mutual appreciation going on between folk which is always a many-splendoured THANG..

ACES!

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#140 2015-04-21 07:44:39

Thee Captain

Now available here:

https://vimeo.com/122581482

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#141 2015-04-21 09:52:10

Bop

Elms isnt the most sensitive of interviewers his he? One bit that annoyed me was when Paul wanted to talk about the painting in the shop which sees JS with a 70s vibe..(if my memory serves me right.. a denim jacket with red and white gingham bd..I remember musing on it the other day I found it actually to be my favourite bit of art in the shop)..its bits like that where Elms I think should've sat back and let the guys talk. It really is quite rude to cut over someone like that, let alone in an interview ..I dont think there was any great risk of the talk ever loosing steam..and I always felt like Elms was eager to give it his impression or his spin..but then these type of people are just walking opinions

Last edited by Bop (2015-04-21 10:04:08)

#142 2015-04-21 12:12:46

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I really enjoyed this and thanks for posting the link Mon Capitaine,

Elmsey really dropped a clanger when he mentioned Mecca at a Jewish book week event LOL.

What a twot , i wonder if Thee Captain has ever seen him down at south Africa road.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#143 2015-04-21 12:38:50

Bop

As it went on I think it settled into a better rhythm

#144 2015-04-21 13:14:33

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Just taking it back a couple of pages...The marketing term Ivy is American, the clothes ain't. Thats a bit like saying the three fold tie, jeans and chinos are American or the sack jacket is French or loafers are Norwegian and the button down collar is British. Once things are exported they become international. They become detached from a single national identity unless they have the name of their birthplace engrained in their identity; Fair Isle, Shetland, ect or they are a national costume. To say designed clothes are American just because they were sold as Ivy is tosh.

As you were...

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#145 2015-04-21 13:49:18

Bop

I agree and I don't..one part of me thinks clothes are universal without connotations but then its obvious that they are full of symbolism, meaning and history.. also with your last point Id say jeans have become as American as Shetlands are Scottish. And Fairisle are Norwegian arent they? I always think of them as Scottish

#146 2015-04-21 21:41:57

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Fair isle pattern comes from the Fair Isles? I think your thinking of the various Fishing and sking patterns which are known as Norwegian jumpers. I'd have thought that jeans are now firmly an international garment. The Japs make the best denim. Cooper made up the name of an Italian designer in the 60s to boost their sales, not an American one so IMHO I think the image of jeans being American by Europeans (or at least the British) was over before that was done.

#147 2015-04-21 23:00:38

Bop

Yes but when the Japanese make these denims theyre emulating American culture and evoking that kind of romanticism, so there still is that case for clothes to carry a meaning or symbolise a place and time.

It's more like the clothes become a mindset or culture that can travel..like music does..Hip Hop had to come from New York but it found a home were ever it went..the problem comes..like how JS talks about when people try to single out ownership..and with people in America who try to say well Ivy is this etc etc..it was the Japanese that kept the Ivy torch burning in a big way when America turned its back on it. The renewed interest in Ivy from an American perspective is about a renewed conservative movement especially in younger men. Broadly it gets called Trad..so the same clothes are being worn in less radical ways and again carry different significance..like I said Im half with you...I know what you're saying, but still the clothes try to mean something..and the meaning can change given on who is wearing it and where, so even though clothes become international they have localised meanings..I suppose that doesnt have to be geographical, it could just be localised online into small subsections and cult movements

Last edited by Bop (2015-04-21 23:03:38)

#148 2015-04-22 03:40:52

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The Japanese are doing their take on Italian just as well as they did Ivy. Its only natural that when a style is followed by a different culture that that style is followed to the T. The garments don't belong to any cult movements on their own, only as a collective. A Fred Perry and a pair of chinos don't belong to any movement, a Fred Perry and pair of 501s are mod, a pair of chinos and an OCBD are Ivy...but only if the wearer says so. If someone said to me I was wearing Ivy because I had a pair of chino's, sneakers and an OCBD on I'd think they were a idiot. Though if I were a slave to a set image and refused to wear anything that didn't fall under a certain umbrella I might take it as a compliment. Thankfully I don't own any Fred Perrys. wink

#149 2015-04-22 05:36:16

Thee Captain

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the listen again – as much as I did on the night tbh..

Of course JS will be seen as The King of Ivy league here for purposes of anything marketing wise as he’s been around for so long, knows so much and has on the whole, been championing that particular look!

But what I’ve always loved is his fondness for British & European stuff too, as came out in the talk  – he appreciates good quality garments… no matter where they’re from and has always had summat unusual in his shops over the years no matter what category it falls into…

I thought he was hugely entertaining on the night.

This is the way I’ve gone really… & whilst I’m more Americana nowadays or maybe I should say, that’s the stuff I’m now most into, I still admire the classic Boom Year  Ivy look …but then I’d appreciate a well turned out Mod/Skin/Suede/Rockabilly/Biker/Workwear Head/B-Boy blah blah blah… and continue to take or keep bits from those looks – I’ll probably be buried in a Tootal!!!!

You just end up liking what you like after a while and don’t really care if it’s appreciated or offends he he… ESPECIALLY as you get older (well that’s my excuse…OK?!?)

It remains all about STYLE for me as I’ve maintained throughout my time on here… and cultivating your own LOOK!...and if it chops n changes….then even better!!
I have a lot of mates who dress very well but deep down I think they’re CACK next to me ha ha….

BLOW YOUR OWN TRUMPETS FELLAS….that’s what I say… but visually…not gobshitely…

I’m fine with the fact that modern lines JS now do like Keydge/Vetra may be loved by many and hated by others…that’s how it should be, naturally… but I don’t want to be stuck in a world of vintage clothing personally… I’ve been there & done it…and whilst I still love Vintage & will of course continue to buy it, most of my fave items these days are spanking new!

At the end of the day, it’s a great shop  and a great UK Institution… and both John & Paul are engaging and entertaining… I just love popping in there even if I’m not looking for anything…

And AC, Mr Elms sits literally a couple of rows directly in front of me down the Rangers…tho’ I’ve only had minimal contact with him…I’m probably far too workwear mode at the footie for him to take much notice or for him to think I’m that way inclined and besides, I’m always there late and comatosed for most of the game… am in n out the ground ASAP ha ha… and chit chat is with the usual faces when inside..

I’ll still mention the talk should the situation arise of course:

Tom H – who some might know on here - & who’s been doing John’s carpet needs for years sits very near me too… we talk more about clothing and records than the footie tbh…

#150 2015-04-22 07:12:46

stanshall

not to be contentious but could we see some examples of this great Japanese Ivy that's being done better than classic American Ivy?  because I don't really buy this notion .....

the style is American regardless of a Shetland's being knitted in Scotland or the supposed British origin of the ocbd (has one of these original British buttondown collar shirts ever been unearthed or seen in an old picture?  I thought not ...)

jeans are Levi's from San Francisco made for prospectors and all others are derivatives .....

corduroy came from France originally, but cords with ocbd, penny loafers, 3/2 sack and Ivy haircut is an American look, or style ....

penny loafers or Weejuns are part of the American style too, the Norwegian inspiration notwithstanding, because they were mass-manufactured in the USA, worn extensively here, and are identified with the Ivy style

Ivy is an American style as recognized by John Simons who advertised having the best American clothes in England ....

and the American style encompassed certain English and Scottish staples, namely the tweed and worsted materials used in our sack sport coats and suits, and finished garments like  great raincoats, Baracutas, Shetlands, English ties, duffel coats, socks ......

the style is greater than the sum of its parts but even then the best versions of the essential items, the sacks, ocbds, khakis, penny loafers, plain-toe bluchers, longwings, all came from America .... the only exceptions are the sweaters, G9s, duffels, and some raincoats and greatcoats

which doesn't diminish the importance of the deluxe contributions made by the Scottish and English components to the style ... the quality was felt and seen to be superior, the students in the boom years demanded the best, the economy permitted the British imports at favorable rates to the Americans, and in the same way that English university architecture was prized at and was incorporated into the most august American colleges, some of the best British clothing was incorporated into the American style to burnish it

a Jeffersonian tendency, to improve the quality of life in the New World we adapt things or borrow or co-opt them wholly here and perhaps the enthusiastic shamelessness of such borrowing is or was a characteristic American trait

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

Board footer