You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

#176 2015-04-23 14:52:50

Worried Man

Re: 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

Aye.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#177 2015-04-23 14:54:32

stanshall

Last edited by stanshall (2015-04-23 15:00:32)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#178 2015-04-23 15:00:28

Worried Man

Haha.  Well-put per usual there Stan-o.

I recall Soggs consistently telling Ox that his offerings in the ILSFT thread were always the utmost bore.  Although I respect Soggs' opinion on the matter, that is kind of missing the point considering that it's Talk Ivy.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#179 2015-04-23 15:30:39

Bop

I think its just all too dependent on taste... and sometimes in the past I used to think that good taste meant what is correct by the rules of proportion ..and as we're dealing with really what is soley a visual medium...arguably touch too..but no one is coming up and touching my clothes..lets just suggest its about looks..

With that in mind..there are some universal principles..tone seems to be the biggest thing and it appears as humans we like to see the whole tonal range taken into account..

With that down we can then look at shape, colour texture etc..and you can have a huge choice of variables..and yes you can even get into the idea of golden ratios and excat proportions too..but then there is a little thing called character when things can be a bit too short or too bit too long but then what is created is character...character suggests a lot and is arguably more interesting than perfection.. but then perfection is good too. You just need both..to really meet all the criteria.

Its a very broad area and each element could have years spent on it but I think ultimately Ivy is a look that offers a lot of scope for creativity and a visual structure that maintains.

In a recent pic I felt soggys tie was too big for his lapels..I can only jidge that by my eye..others might see it differently..also I see a lot of fault in my own clothing most recently my last pic the leather of the shoes and better shouldve set tonally higher than the jacket but i didnt have any shoe that were right so I comprised and its not as good as it could be.. which is why it wouldve been nice to be a designer and maker so you could undo these issues..but im at the mercy of a budget and being large and incapable of working a pair of scissors...I have to take what I can and make the best out of it..I think like with cooking, dressing is a very difficult thing to do correctly because it is all so relative and a balancing of almost infinite variables..Im not even sure why we bother

My point is even with it all done correctly you have to realise clothes communicate you..and we're all different..but to make something visually appealing you need a whole symphony of elements playing out that the eye is not left wanting..thats what a great clothes designer does..but your voice is your voice

Ultimately I think of it like this...I love Country/folk music.. but i dont love every tune equally because its in a style.. i like sometunes more than others and some will be my utmost fav...why because they have principles being met that transcend style.. its like that with clothes too

And a last point

I dont just like Topsters.. I like a very specific period of topsters where I felt the proportions they exhibited appeased my taste the most..thats not being blindly into a style..thats getting down and dirty with personal taste and judgement, same goes for all my clothes Im not buying something because its ivy..im buying something that appeases my taste that happens to be in this style..I dont care how rare a shirt is or how nice the roll is.. it still needs to be matched with the right stuff if your serious about creating visually inspiring outfits.

Last edited by Bop (2015-04-23 15:46:26)

#180 2015-04-23 18:34:12

Worried Man

All I'll say at this point is at least you guys coaxed me to contribute a little more to a thread titled "2015 Jewish Book Week John Simon's Event".

#181 2015-04-24 00:25:55

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#182 2015-04-24 01:15:36

Bop

Id like to think im the later but working at least here within a style..

I dont see the issue with style you can have a well dressed goth, mod, ivyist, whatever.. but like I said people will or can have a preferred style which sees them trying to bring that to its highest accolade..there was a Japanese term for it but Ive forgotten.

I feel like this is valid point you make..if a Brooks 6 button shirt for some reason doeant suit you then as much as you might covert it..whats the point of wearing it...but Ivy gives you a large choice of brands and in that you'll probably find your favs that suit you also.

#183 2015-04-24 01:21:01

Bop

For the record I think WM dresses very well and that almost allows for him to be even more throwback..because the principles under pinning what makes an outfit look good are really universal. Thats a point which should be made clear I guess

#184 2015-04-24 01:39:42

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2015-04-24 03:20:01)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#185 2015-04-24 01:43:56

Yuca

#186 2015-04-24 02:00:47

Harpo
The Best In The West

Where did you get your nail varnish? Nice finish.

Randy lower-class trifler

#187 2015-04-24 02:17:58

Yuca

Thanks! Once you get my socks off I'm a normal guy.

#188 2015-04-24 02:19:19

Yuca

My other foot has got 'Ivy - no time for part time' tattooed on it.

#189 2015-04-24 02:28:34

Bradley

I couldn't agree more, Yuca. The fundamental factor here that unites us all is our love for Ivy style, despite whatever flavor contemporary fashion is pushing (and frankly, who cares). The majority of us feel most comfortable, both physically and dare I spiritually, in a pair of high rise trousers with a sack coat and an OCBD that doesn't have a cardboard collar. Sometimes what we wear is a matter of subjective taste, but I'd like to think it's truly a matter of authenticity, especially for those of us here. While some people might think that we look outdated or out of context, if we like it, does anything else really matter?

Last edited by Bradley (2015-04-24 02:31:50)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PlacidVintage

#190 2015-04-24 02:50:02

Bop

I think soggs is making a valid point...being retro by itself doesnt make for a better out fit..having clothes that fit and suit you is important..arguably more important.. to me I think authenticity and a proper fit and good outfit are both important

#191 2015-04-24 03:13:34

Bradley

Fit indeed matters, very much so. The combination of authenticity and proper fit, as you said, is thoroughly important. What I really enjoy about the "Ivy" look is that fit is almost tailored (no pun intended) into the whole aesthetic: tapered trousers with a high rise, softly structured jackets with slight form, that billow of an OCBD that we all love. And of course, there are exceptions to everything. Some people perceive those things as outdated... and so be it.

Though, I don't think the Ivy look is retro at all; it's universal. The sad state of clothing at the moment basically renders anything that's classic as something a "grandpa" would wear, as mercer (sorry for bringing it up) so eloquently put awhile back. When gym shorts with a graphic T or low rise skinny jeans and a disheveled flannel are commonplace, most classic items or outfits are judged with questioning eyes.

Still, when we tear everything else away, clothing is very much an art, and like arts, perceptions that arise subjective. We are all part of the same little "Ivy League" school and while each of us brings something different, we are still part of that group and follow a broad set of guidelines. And that's what I like most about this forum and the look itself.

Last edited by Bradley (2015-04-24 03:14:12)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PlacidVintage

#192 2015-04-24 03:14:42

Bop

It almost goes without saying really

#193 2015-04-24 07:26:25

Worried Man

#194 2015-04-24 08:20:44

Worried Man

#195 2015-04-24 08:23:11

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#196 2015-04-24 10:40:35

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Lots of brands make non fused OCBDs with good collar height and roll. Origan, Santillo, Liverano, Barba, Barba Dandy, Fray to name a few. They ain't got six button fronts though. And loads of people wear Shetland wool jumpers. You can't really think companies can carry on making based on selling most of its stuff to Ivy Trad fans surely? You people live in a bubble. Its a bit mental but fantastic, more power to you all for it. I think you should have Ivy rallies by the seaside like Mods do. What a sight that'd be.

#197 2015-04-24 10:51:02

Worried Man

hahaha. 

I think you saying we live in a bubble is a bit unfair, Soggs.  You're viewing and judging us based only on our contributions to this forum, which indeed caters to a few diehard Ivyists.  Lest you be led to think that everything in my life revolves around what I'm wearing each day, I've just gotta say, it doesn't. 

I'd gladly wear a shirt from any maker if it tickled my fancy.  What was that one you posted recently?  I asked about it.  The green one?  Now that looked like a killer shirt.  Did I question whether or not the maker has any idea about anything to do with Ivy or what we talk about on here?  No.  Not at all. 

I can count the number of companies that really cater to ivy / trad fans on pretty much one hand, and I'm sure a large percentage of their customer base doesn't think in those terms.  They just buy the clothes they've always bought.  And then we've all seen how hard it is for guys like Henry to get a dedicated and small "Ivy" brand off the ground.

#198 2015-04-24 11:20:14

Bop

A lot of your stuff looks distinctively Italian Soggs probably because it is,  ..it is classy stuff granted but it ain't me babe..ive worked a well paid job that had me looking like a bag of shit..and Ive spent the £800 quid on jackets and 200 quid on shirts and continued to when I worked in menswear..mainly because I felt the urge to do it and work hard for the money It was a justified reward and subconsciously its a release from dressing in overalls for the period I was working in the saw mill. But then you might get a guy like Stan who sounds like hes had to dress up for work and likes to kick back..who knows horses for courses...you're not going to tell me for all you spend Id prefer to dress like you. Because currently i dont feel the desire or urge to.. I can understand why you might want to..but I think im over that too.. I like my style for many reasons..and unless Im allowed to dress in 1950s cowboy country balladeer style anytime so I dont see it changing...wearing expensive well made clothes is nice..but there is more to motoring than owning a supercar...you can enjoy a go kart

Last edited by Bop (2015-04-24 11:23:11)

#199 2015-04-24 11:21:59

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

To get something off the ground depends on a number of factors, I thought his shirts were top. Great quality but sizing was an issue for me. I'm sure if he could have ordered sizes other than Alpha in the numbers he wanted he would have. Same with sleeve length. A small company really needs to compromise with makers. H didn't want to do that with his ties so they never got off the ground. Customer base is another issue, a lot of Ivy wearers pick stuff up cheap so that made H's shirts seem costly but if you compare them to the same quality brands in shops they weren't priced badly. For all the big ups by the Ivy bloggers, and he who shall not be mentioned, did any of them dip their hand in their pocket and buy one? I doubt it but yeah, a really tough market to get into.

Get your green shirt here WM... http://emanuelberg.com/bespoke-tailoring/individually-tailored-shirts.html

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2015-04-24 11:24:12)

#200 2015-04-24 11:24:41

Bop

H crashed out because the company didnt let him have the patterns..that was the tough lessen to learn...all in all it was a successful venture that got taken down by his maker. I dont think there was any other issue.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

Board footer