You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-16 07:17:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I believe in Orvis khakis!

Orvis, seeming to be an upmarket LL Bean, are one of those shops that promises much for the ivy fan but never quite delivers in my experience. Something is always slightly wrong with their clothes, they're too big and baggy or they do daft things like spoiling what would otherwise be a nice pair of trousers by putting leather trim on the pockets, which no doubt makes feel far more rugged and outdoorsy and justifies a few extra quid on the price tag. But it's one of those shops that I always wander into just to see if anything's changed. I found myself in the Exeter branch (Exeter, Devon, UK) at the weekend and ended with an unplanned purchase; a pair of their Ultimate Khakis Slim fit chinos for £69.99. The website blurb for these would have immediately caused my mouse pointer to move on if I had looked at them online i.e.

'Our slim fit khakis for men are a modern take on a classic pant. Get the legendary comfort and durability of our Ultimate Khakis in a fit that's about an inch-and-a-half narrower through the hips, an inch narrower through the thighs and down the leg, and with a slightly shorter back rise than that of our Classic Fit.'

That would put you right off, no? However on inspection and trying a pair on I found them to be quite acceptable, a 12" rise and a slender cut, tapering to an 8" bottom with no need for surgery apart from hemming up the length. The quality is good and the cloth, which I would describe as a medium weight twill, does not appear to infested with non iron treatment. The only downside I can see is that they are made in Indonesia.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/ultimate-khakis-trim-fit/12pf

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#2 2014-12-16 08:45:15

Meehawl MacMurrachu

Re: I believe in Orvis khakis!

Hi - Yeah those look pretty nice and a decent price

They have had odd policy of not stocking everything on line in the stores though I've found 

I went into the central London office to try on their shawl cardigan and they told me I'd have to buy it - get it in the shop - then get a refund if I didn't like it

Which doesn't seem that helpful

#3 2014-12-16 10:27:43

Worried Man

Good field research Woof.  Always nice to have another possible khaki option.  Too bad I can count myself out, as the smallest waist size is 32.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2015-04-18 03:40:53

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Now may be the time to bag those Orvis Trim Fits.
Offer open between 18th & 26th of April.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/armchaired/2ace7885-52fa-4631-8e11-1f7a808b2c79_zpsysmobyqx.gif

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#5 2015-04-18 04:06:48

sunra

This promotion might be enough for me to take the plunge. How do you find them size wise?
I have several pairs of Uniqlo chinos and take a 36" in those but I'm sure there is an element of vanity sizing.

#6 2015-04-18 05:39:24

Turrentine

I am awaiting delivery of a pair of the very same, on Woof's recommendation, so I will give my verdict  in due course.

#7 2015-04-18 05:51:19

Tommy

Now if only they did more colours, I might give them a try

#8 2015-04-18 05:59:24

Bop

Yeah Id love a paler pair although they do look good..I might go and try some on tomorrow

#9 2015-04-18 06:46:14

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

sunra wrote:

This promotion might be enough for me to take the plunge. How do you find them size wise?
I have several pairs of Uniqlo chinos and take a 36" in those but I'm sure there is an element of vanity sizing.

They are true to size Sunra, both measured up and in the wear experience.

The promotion code probably only applies to online/mail order. Also you can specify hemming up to your chosen inside leg to the nearest 1/4", with or without cuffs.

I love 'em and due to the sparse availability of affordable decent chinos I have ordered a second pair for stockpiling.

Armchaired - you are the devil on my shoulder.

John Simons

#10 2015-04-18 07:03:47

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

woofboxer wrote:

sunra wrote:

They are true to size Sunra, both measured up and in the wear experience.

The promotion code probably only applies to online/mail order. Also you can specify hemming up to your chosen inside leg to the nearest 1/4", with or without cuffs.

I love 'em and due to the sparse availability of affordable decent chinos I have ordered a second pair for stockpiling.

Armchaired - you are the devil on my shoulder.

Just the one pair Woof ..... Are you sure about that ?

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s612/armchaired/face_of_the_devil_by_anarkyman-d4pw97b_zpsxziruu5q.jpg

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#11 2015-04-18 10:35:12

Yuca

woofboxer wrote:

and with a slightly shorter back rise than that of our Classic Fit.'

Suggesting the Classic Fit will be even better. Anyone tried it?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#12 2015-04-18 12:15:21

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Yuca wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

and with a slightly shorter back rise than that of our Classic Fit.'

Suggesting the Classic Fit will be even better. Anyone tried it?

Have tried them and like most Orvis trousers they are very baggy around the seat. This all pervading bagginess is why I was surprised at the goodness of the trim fits.

John Simons

#13 2015-04-18 12:25:26

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I have had classics and Woof is right, they have a Rhino Ass .

#14 2015-04-19 12:12:48

Jeff Reed

Have just received my second pair. They are excellent.

I attended a science lecture yesterday. There was a quote by Dr. Tyson, "we're not the only world to think about worlds unknown." I wondered if some life form billions of light years away was enjoying his khakis just as much as I was, and I wondered what those khakis might look like. Just jumbles of stardust here for but a fraction of time, but here we are together in our fragile little worlds, comfortable in our trousers and looking forward to our post-speech stimulants. Exiting, I looked up at the night sky, gave a nod and a wink and moved on to my destiny without rhino ass.

Relief: v. to reassemble a denuded tree or other plant.

#15 2015-04-19 12:16:53

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ ha ha.....beam me up Scotty!

John Simons

#16 2015-04-19 14:53:57

Tommy

Seriously tempted to get the Field Khaki ones come summer? Even though I'm trying to find of navy chinos really...

#17 2015-04-19 16:13:51

Jdemy

Wow!  This is exciting. Thank you, Woof, for posting.  I just bought a pair of Koratron's off Ebay and then see these- wow.  Will check for an Orvis in NYC...

#18 2015-04-19 16:25:27

Jdemy

Tommy wrote:

Seriously tempted to get the Field Khaki ones come summer? Even though I'm trying to find of navy chinos really...

If you don't mind the "wrinkle-free" aspect, they do have a slim cut in navy:

http://www.orvis.com/p/trim-fit-wrinkle … hinos/16hm

I may head up to Orvis tomorrow to check them out.

#19 2015-04-25 06:46:33

colin
Bright Light

Picked up a pair of orvis trim fits. For the benefit of anyone on here, though I'd give a sense of what they're like. These are the 33 waist. I'm 6 foot 3ish.
Take note my downwards facing photo is not good and makes them look a touch lower than they are.

They're fairly decent. Glad I got hold of a pair. Hem a little over 8". I'm thinking I'll get them cuffed (thoughts on cuffs on khakis? how big?).
Rise is okay - given contemporary trends, I'd say they're mid-rise. Would prefer them higher given my height, but I'll keep them. Material is pretty solid and like the darker khaki colour (I don't really like too light khakis).

Slim seems a fair description. As far as off-the-peg khakis these are fairly decent. Going to wait for the next bunch of John Simons khakis to get a higher waisted khaki, rather than stock up, but these make a quick solution to khakis. Come in 38" leg which is great.

If I was shorter, these would be good.

EDIT: not my bookshelf.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/document02/1e0ca58a-1514-4253-94bf-518e0bef8569_zpsnvcrnzhn.png

Last edited by colin (2015-04-25 07:07:32)

#20 2015-04-25 06:54:40

Oliver

Definitely go with 1.5" cuffs, Colin.

I like to go by the 5th button placket rule for where the waist should ideally sit on a Makers; those aren't bad looking though.

#21 2015-04-25 06:58:40

colin
Bright Light

Agreed, Oliver. 'Not bad' is my analysis. Again, worth stating that I am tall.

Shirt is Fitzgerald's chmbray, fwiw.

#22 2015-04-25 08:06:21

Jdemy

Not bad for some- but, perfect to my eyes.  Thank you for posting!

#23 2015-04-25 08:15:31

colin
Bright Light

Have put them in the wash to see how much they shrink. I think the rise is probably about 12" maybe a shade under. Will update shortly.

#24 2015-04-25 09:12:36

Bradley

Anyone get these in a 32 waist?

#25 2015-04-25 11:43:39

colin
Bright Light

Update: post-wash measurement comes in at a Worried Man-worrying 11.5" rise.
Also the pockets 'flair' a little bit which is vaguely annoying.

Still looking for a pair ~13"-13.5 rise but I shall wear these whilst I search.

Board footer