You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » I have come to a standstill / The Problem of Dymynysyng Returns

#101 2015-09-06 06:46:25

Beestonplace

Re: I have come to a standstill / The Problem of Dymynysyng Returns

"Dressing up" like a grown up or idol from ancient times (="trad") is fine when you are in your 20ies. Woody Allen's hat or Johnny Depp's hat and facial hair - fine when you are a student, wrong if you are as old as these guy actually are.

The older I get, the more attention I pay to look, yes, "neat". Scruffiness is sweet when you are 20 (at that age, you can get away with many things) but nowadays I am almost obsessed with having my hair cut regularly, with mani/pedi, staying slim and fit.

I LOVE , this foum

#102 2015-09-06 06:48:38

Bop

Maybe you're neurotic, and you're just establishing coping mechanisms to help you feel like you have control?

#103 2015-09-06 06:59:35

Bop

Im not saying that like it's a bad thing either...london life is very chaotic and a few little rituals I imagine can help.. i myself like to keep my wallet in my top jacket pocket..and my keys in my back right trouser pocket even though it wears a hole...i find it quite stressful getting up to the barriers and not having my oyster of train ticket to hand, just doing these little rituals is quite reassuring and helps the day go by smoothly

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-06 07:00:34)

#104 2015-09-06 07:19:52

Beestonplace

I simply believe that a grown-up man must live up to different standards than a teenager...

I LOVE , this foum

#105 2015-09-06 07:21:23

Beestonplace

...and yes, I have little control over most of what happens in my world, but I can control whether I look like a scarecrow.

I LOVE , this foum

#106 2015-09-06 07:22:32

Beestonplace

Hence ear/nosehairs have to go, clownish costume (= loud checks, anything Sherlock Holmes would wear) is taboo etc.

I LOVE , this foum

#107 2015-09-06 07:49:37

Bop

I think you're just defining your set of standards.. and that's fine...ideally the next step is to enforce them...maybe via a clothes forum...lets say on a WYAW thread...ideally with threatening language and/or threats of physical violence.

#108 2015-09-06 10:15:46

Beestonplace

Shut up or I will sucker punch you

I LOVE , this foum

#109 2015-09-06 13:56:22

doghouse

When did we get to Mod Fourm?

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#110 2015-09-06 20:12:20

Chévere

Beeston, for once I find myself in the unusual circumstance of agreeing with you.
Being 60 now, I find whatever scraps to feed my vanity by trying to dress well and keeping neat. My civic duty to those around me.
Being old and unkempt is charming only as a theoretical exercise, always best experienced from afar. Say like would you rather spend an hour at dinner sitting next to Keith Richards with a chronic smokers cough and cigarette ashes flying all over the place (forget about the stench of the clothes) or next to Charlie Watts?

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#111 2015-09-06 23:10:04

Beestonplace

Good point, Chévy.

And now replace "spend an hour at dinner" with "living with" or "being in a room at work every day with".

I dont think anyone has every uttered the following complaint: "He is SO boring. He only wears high-quality clothes that really suit him, in muted colours - besides a few bright coloured ties in Summer - and he doesnt smell like an old potatoe. Man, he should really learn about Sprezzatura".

I LOVE , this foum

#112 2015-09-09 13:45:56

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There comes a time, when either you start screwing younger ladies as a defence against growing old, or you accept it and move on ageing with distinction and wisdom. I am at that stage now.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#113 2015-09-09 14:12:34

Worried Man

^

You didn't indicate what stage you're at, exactly.  The young girls stage?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#114 2015-09-09 15:16:09

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#115 2015-09-10 09:38:14

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It would be very difficult, indeed dangerous for me to have an affair. I wouldn't risk it as I have too much respect for the missus and kids, but it still doesn't stop me from sometimes thinking about it. Back in the good old days, men in my position would have affairs, if not a mistress across town. Times have changed.

#116 2015-09-10 10:24:10

An Unseen Scene

It's hard to be the person you want to be.  In my work an affair would be easy and I have lots of female friends but don't want to be that guy.  The ones we have all seen so many times who throw away all that is good they already have to snatch excitement and cheat ageing.  My interest in clothing is in part trying to age gracefully but in a way that keeps some vitality to life.  Many people I know in middle age may as well be retired and a few more interesting people have never lost their twinkle and have the interest in life of those younger.

#117 2015-09-10 12:34:31

doghouse

I have no desire to cheat on my wife, honestly. I wouldn't have gotten married otherwise. I was never actually planning on getting married in the first place really, didn't feel like it was one of life's necessities, but once I did, it was because I wanted to, and hence don't feel the need to go elsewhere.

Plenty of people have other arrangements and that is fine too. I don't think there is some moral imperative for monogamous marriage, it's just what I have chosen, and what usually works best for most people.

Unseen brings up a good point though, and this is something my wife and I actually talk about every now and then as we have those friends who are basically in a constant state of midlife crisis. It makes no sense. Life is very short, and it's such a waste to forfeit the present by obsessing over some past. The only way to fill up one's lifetime is to maximize every stage of the journey. If you are trying to be a younger version of yourself, you are not living the current version of yourself.

#118 2015-09-10 15:35:28

formby1

This thread as take a peculiar turn.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#119 2015-09-10 19:24:50

Chévere

Re. affairs, my younger brother has an interesting take: You pay prostitutes not to have sex, but so they walk away after you do.
Other piece of wisdom about flirting at our age: When that woman is flirting with you, she is not after you but after what your wife has.
Of course, he lives in Palm Beach so that may color his perspective.

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#120 2015-09-11 00:41:10

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Tell you what I don't feel right in any more...T-shirts.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#121 2015-09-11 02:49:01

An Unseen Scene

Hi GYW, yes I don't wear t-shirts anymore, trainers or denim.  I like denim but never felt truly comfortable in it.

#122 2015-09-11 11:50:38

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#123 2015-09-11 14:42:36

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The impression I get from conversations with single/divorced guys in their 30s & 40s is that the days of going out to a club or bar expressly to cop off with women are pretty much over. Most of the action is online and there are a steady supply of ladies who are up for no strings sexual activity, big cities are best but I suppose in rural areas you just have to be prepared to travel further. There seems to be comparatively little effort involved, providing the man is reasonably confident and presentable, it is quite easy to score. All this free shagging must be having an effect on the economy of prostitution.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#124 2015-09-11 15:41:23

doghouse

^ I really see this as a negative for humanity. I mean, the best part of it all was going into a bar and talking a little bullshit. I miss that way more than anything else!

These days when I'm in a pub in a far off land I end up talking to Thee Captain and woof! big_smile

#125 2015-09-11 17:09:48

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » I have come to a standstill / The Problem of Dymynysyng Returns

Board footer