You are not logged in.

#51 2015-02-27 13:15:42

stanshall

Re: Is this forum dead

Bop wrote:

Fish have eyes

¿pero los pescados sin ojos en las cavernas?

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#52 2015-02-27 13:33:43

Worried Man

Si.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#53 2015-02-27 15:16:09

TheExpandingMan

Fish eyes are remarkably durable.

Just about every year during the trico hatch I end up hooking at least one trout through the eyeball when they rise fast to the fly and I get twitchy and set the hook too soon.  I always feel bad about dragging them in by their eyeball but once unhooked they swim away just like any other released trout.

"l wouldn't mind putting him to work in the yard and working him 20 hours a day while l sit on a chair with a megaphone giving him a long lecture on the ills of sneakers...This would go on for months."
-The Shooman

#54 2015-03-01 02:46:11

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Been looking for action all weekend on this forum because l had some rare spare time up my sleeve, but the forum was dead and l didn't get the action l was looking for. The moral of the story is....just because one seeks some online action doesn't mean they are going to get any.

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#55 2015-03-28 10:32:51

Beestonplace

It is dead,

#56 2015-03-28 13:31:41

Chévere

^^ Caught ya looking'!!!

Last edited by Chévere (2015-03-28 13:32:20)

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#57 2015-03-28 13:51:59

Bop

I looked in at Well Dressed the WYAW thread alone put me off...anyway I prefer a quiet pub with a handful of regulars. .

#58 2015-03-28 14:56:44

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Bop wrote:

I looked in at Well Dressed the WYAW thread alone put me off...anyway I prefer a quiet pub with a handful of regulars. .

It seems quite superficial and lacking the wit that that is to be found on FNB. Is there any focus on a specific style? In fact, come to think about it, was there ever a focus on any specific style on this particular forum?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#59 2015-03-28 15:34:28

Bop

This is the part of the forum where I come to look at expensive shoos, and google words I dont know.

#60 2015-03-28 15:39:41

Bop

The only other decent looking forum is that American one Billax, Pat and  OCBD are on that we're not allowed to join.

#61 2015-03-28 15:53:50

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

We'd be allowed in if things had gone better for us in 1776.
I blame the bloody French , interfering in what was essentially a family dispute.

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#62 2015-03-28 16:00:34

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Bop wrote:

This is the part of the forum where I come to look at expensive shoos, and google words I dont know.

I should clarify that when I said it is 'superficial and lacking in wit' I was referring to Well Dressed.

I agree that Wardrobe posters were always much more cleverer than those plebs on Talk Ivy.

John Simons

#63 2015-03-28 16:09:53

doghouse

Armchaired wrote:

We'd be allowed in if things had gone better for us in 1776.
I blame the bloody French , interfering in what was essentially a family dispute.

Only war I can think that was fought to keep Brits out of our internet forums.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#64 2015-03-28 16:12:54

doghouse

As far as Dressed Well, there are certainly a few good posters, you just have to look. It's a similar phenomenon to here where everyone thought it was just vile miscreants posting, and didn't see there was actually a ton more erudition and grasp of nuance than the other forums which are hives of simpletons. DW has a seriously idiotic contingent though who are very tiresome in their lack of self awareness and possible mental handicaps. It sounds hyperbolic, but I think they may be slightly simpler than those Talk Ivy fellows.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#65 2015-03-28 16:19:21

Bop

I think the problem is that many people that are into clothes are pretty petty, narcissistic and lack humour. This is the problem I find with clothing to some its more about status..Im most drawn to lurking on Fed Lounge because I like the geekery.

#66 2015-03-28 16:53:27

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

For most men just being interested in clothes is pretty weird let alone writing about them on the internet or, worse still, posting up pictures of yourself. It's an obsessive business at the best, but can become vindictive and sour at worst. Fortunately we've generally managed to retain a sense of fun on this site without becoming all po-faced when someone engages in a bit of banter or well meant criticism.

John Simons

#67 2015-03-28 19:44:43

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Bop wrote:

Looking at hideously expensive shoos is always the best excuse for getting online. I do it regularly.

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

#68 2015-03-29 05:58:50

doghouse

woofboxer wrote:

Fortunately we've generally managed to retain a sense of fun on this site without becoming all po-faced when someone engages in a bit of banter or well meant criticism.

Especially Mercer.

#69 2015-03-29 09:27:23

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

doghouse wrote:

As far as Dressed Well, there are certainly a few good posters, you just have to look. It's a similar phenomenon to here where everyone thought it was just vile miscreants posting, and didn't see there was actually a ton more erudition and grasp of nuance than the other forums which are hives of simpletons. DW has a seriously idiotic contingent though who are very tiresome in their lack of self awareness and possible mental handicaps. It sounds hyperbolic, but I think they may be slightly simpler than those Talk Ivy fellows.

Some of the other forums from back in the day are all about frequency of posting, even if it is misleading or rubbish. And the owners have seen fit to turn their forums into full time businesses. If people want to come here and contribute with the mindful eye of someone who knows about clothing and fabric, then youre welcome. On the other hand, the idea that this forum has to entertain people every week like an episode of The Wire is bizarre.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#70 2015-03-29 09:29:38

doghouse

I quite agree.

#71 2015-03-29 17:04:09

Chévere

FNB said " idea that this forum has to entertain people every week like an episode of The Wire is bizarre"

OK, perhaps not "The Wire", but how about a wired suit?
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/3353_ellumiglow_instructions_006.jpg

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#72 2015-03-29 18:13:43

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Film Noir Buff wrote:

doghouse wrote:

Some of the other forums from back in the day are all about frequency of posting, even if it is misleading or rubbish. And the owners have seen fit to turn their forums into full time businesses. If people want to come here and contribute with the mindful eye of someone who knows about clothing and fabric, then youre welcome. On the other hand, the idea that this forum has to entertain people every week like an episode of The Wire is bizarre.

Very true. We want quality postings and quality conversation, not just inane ramblings from people with high post counts. I like that this forum is quieter than the other zoos, it cuts down the inane chatter and allows one to focus more on making a quality post. I don't have the time to go through fluff posts, so this forum is easy to manage and keep track of. S.F is far too big for my liking and the focus is easily lost.

My shoo posts may not attract many, but the ultimate reward is when you get someone very knowledgable visit and make a contribution. Certainly better than a heap of shoo nubs filling the thread with nothing of substance to say. I tried a few years ago posting at S.F and talking shoos, but l got bored after a week because there was far too much inanity. 

Anyway....I largely don't need to talk about clothes and shoos because my appreciation of these things is in my head, but it is really nice to read of other people's appreciation of clothing and good footwear, that's what really floats my sartorial boat. Anyway, l better piss off now, got too many things to do.

#73 2015-03-30 06:46:32

doghouse

The_Shooman wrote:

Anyway....I largely don't need to talk about clothes and shoos because my appreciation of these things is in my head, but it is really nice to read of other people's appreciation of clothing and good footwear, that's what really floats my sartorial boat. Anyway, l better piss off now, got too many things to do.

I also quite agree with this Shooey.

#74 2017-01-15 12:37:05

Beestonplace

Despite my generous investment in this forum, it seems as if the management is not able to attract new member. Just my 3 ct.

#75 2017-01-15 15:14:51

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

Despite my generous investment in this forum, it seems as if the management is not able to attract new member. Just my 3 ct.

So, wheres this new, exciting clothing forum?

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

Board footer