You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 09:51:35

Bop

What's your style of Ivy

With such a big range of clothes to choose from..and some quibbles as to what is and what's not...what's your style of Ivy?

#2 2015-01-27 09:57:14

An Unseen Scene

Re: What's your style of Ivy

Er..... Anglo-American midcentury-modernist Jivy (unorthodox wing) about covers it.

#3 2015-01-27 10:08:16

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

At my time of life I'm leaning more towards the college professor look than the college student.

I like comfy trousers, middle of the road lapel and tie width, if J Press or O'Connells opened a branch in Staines I wouldn't need to go anywhere else for my clothes. I don't think that's in either companies strategy though.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#4 2015-01-27 10:11:25

Tommy

Aiming to take influence from around 62-66, maybe the old earlier influence and also influnced by the London interpretation of the style which I guess ran from mid to late 60s. Bit of West coast/ surfer style and the choices of Newman/ McQueen thrown in as well.

#5 2015-01-27 10:13:07

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#6 2015-01-27 10:15:33

Tomiskinky

Depends - in the summer I err towards the more west coast vibe somewhere between beach boys and McQueen.
During the cooler months I err towards the east coast for a more Manhattan kick, more architectural / design in style.

That's not to say on some days I swap it around a bit, but it's a pretty accurate account of where i'm at.

#7 2015-01-27 10:24:50

Jeff Reed

Fall/winter: trousers are corduroy, flannel, or tweed with the occasional moleskin. A wide variety of button down shirts---but predominately Viyella, Press plaids, and Orvis. One Bean flannel survives. A few rugbys for an even more casual look.  Lambswool/Shetland sweaters---could be crew or cardigan with a couple of v-necks. Camel hair and tweed jackets. Ivy caps in tweed. Tweed gloves. Scarves in plaids, stripes, houndstooth. Coats depend on the purpose, but I love my camel hair full length and tweed blue full length. I am one of the few ever wearing a full length overcoat these days. Especially rare among those under 60. Then I have a few Orvis tweed bombers, a Filson blackwatch wax coat, and a Barbour quilted coat which I only bought this year. These look damn stupid on so many people that I hesistated, but when I saw me in one---looks great. Probably mostly catch me in rough looking longwings, or my whiskey colored pennies. Belts are tweed, dark surcingles, and some more muted color ribbons.

Spring/summer: Chinos, tropical wool, and the occasional linen trouser. Madras, gingham, and chambray shorts. Gingham, madras, and end on end shirts. Pencil stripe polos. The ubiquitous navy polo. Cotton crewneck sweaters in brighter colors---a nantucket reddish, light blue, a navy cable knit, and the most prep bright green cable knit. Some things can only be worn around the right crowd lest I draw unwanted attention or even rage. The green sweater is probably such an item. But the real killer combo is my white linen pants paired with the navy and white striped Breton sweater. I'm not going to Coney Island in that one. True sneakers...not running shoes. Boat shoes. Tan loafers. Seersucker and madras belts, brighter ribbons and surcingles---though the navy one is a staple.

There is much more and more variations, but that's a good overview. I probably more prep than most on here. At least from what I have seen in the ILSFT thread.

#8 2015-01-27 10:33:05

Worried Man

Hahaha. 

One, word: 1960.  Wait, that's a number.  You get my point though.  I've still got a soft spot for the print shirts - medallion, batik, paisley - but I do think I'm moving toward a more "mature" Ivy that's less obviously retro and youth inspired whereby I'll likely eschew the super tight ankles, high waters, and jivy shirts.  I need to be able to wear my wardrobe when I'm 70, barring inevitable weight gain. smile

Similar to where Woof's coming from.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#9 2015-01-27 12:07:29

Bop

Topsters, Clickers, hi-water 5ps in cord and garment dyed, off white socks and vans, pale blue ocbds under boardshirts, ringer tees, grey sweatshirts, jeans of the right wash. Triple welt bluchers in browns and black. Blackwatch hats...black penny loafers. Ragwool socks, camp moc bluchers...1980 ll bean bodywarmers. 80s Brooks Bleeding madras shorts, chambray BDs..

Er that's  it...

I wish I had a need to be smart but I dont at the mo.

#10 2015-01-27 12:13:09

Worried Man

But all that stuff's smart in its own right.  I've been on a Pendleton kick a bit lately myself.  It really is great in the colder weather.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#11 2015-01-27 12:38:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#12 2015-01-27 12:42:35

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I seem to be in a twist of preppy mode at present, I think as a tonic to the weather.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#13 2015-01-27 12:50:24

Bop

#14 2015-01-27 12:51:39

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Its a new way for me this year ,i am striping down to basics and i need smart professionally .

Its makers for shirts (i would like to try Mercers this year).

Its O'Connells for trousers (exceptions are two pairs of Leesures,Bills & Bean Hertling).

Jackets Brooks and Press.

shoes  Hanovers,Florsheims,Dexters.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#15 2015-01-27 13:46:06

Worried Man

I rarely find myself in a situation that really calls for a tie.  Even when I'm in a sport coat, it's usually with an open neck bd.  A shame really, because I do like the look of a tie in and of itself.  They can do a lot for an outfit.

#16 2015-01-27 13:52:06

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re ties i am the exact same Bud

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#17 2015-01-27 13:58:25

Worried Man

Well, when we go out on our date, we can wear ties.

#18 2015-01-27 14:01:11

Tomiskinky

#19 2015-01-27 14:06:50

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#20 2015-01-27 14:07:21

Worried Man

Maybe I'll just try to make a point to wear a tie every day for one week straight, every other month.  When people inevitably ask "Why the tie?" I'll just tell them I like to keep one handy so I can use it to strangle people that ask me that question.

#21 2015-01-27 14:08:47

Worried Man

#22 2015-01-27 14:08:47

Yuca

As of last month, I have begun wearing ties for no reason during leisure activities. I've got some amazing 50s/60s ties which had not been getting any wear, so now I'm starting to get a bit of use out of them. For the full old school FBI agent/50s French gangster look a tie is essential.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#23 2015-01-27 14:11:36

Tommy

I get funny looks at work for even wearing a sports jacket,  let alone wearing a tie. Unfortunately my tie wearing comes down to job interviews (only one to wear one to a recent interview and I reckon it helped a little because I got the job),  weddings, the very rare formal event I get to go too  and meals out.

#24 2015-01-27 14:13:27

Worried Man

I'm in the same boat as you, Yuca.  I've collected some great vintage ties too, but rarely wear them.  But I find nothing wrong with finishing an outfit with a tie even if it's not required for an occasion.

#25 2015-01-27 14:16:47

Bop

I've upgraded to old navy cords.. what I would say are cheap American clothes are better than cheap European clothes.

Board footer