You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-27 15:34:19

An Unseen Scene

AuthenticIvy

Hi all,

thinking about it we mention jumpers from Scotland, shoes from England, jackets from USA but tweeds always Scottish or Irish, ties from Italy and so on.

To what extent does authenticity of origin really matter?   Is Ivy style for you a route back to some kind of source heritage or is it a look created through the right kind of selective assembly?

Is a search to recreate or achieve some kind of authenticity now valid, futile, a personal choice or over time an artefact of stylistic history?

I see on IS a new comparison of J.Crew to Brooks Brothers - but is a Scottish tweed jacket from BB any more authentic than a Scottish tweed from J.Crew other than the styling created from the wool?   Is it that BB put a curation of stylistic aspects into the tweed that is unsurpassed, is it therefore somehow artistic whereas J.Crew is commercial?   If so, is that why we mourn the loss of 'authentic' historic BB, because they needlessly introduced subtle art almost unnoticed into style, a perfect mix or function and creativity that was almost unseen.   Like 50s Bop Jazz, while wonderful was it just a moment, a beat now lost to time?   It's all there to enjoy still but life moves on.  To what extent does Ivy take us back to a simpler time of uncynical modernity or perfect static traditionalism?   If we're seeking to achieve the authentic, this is surely different to each of us and ultimately not a common concern.

And if so, does that matter and when the previous or current generation are too old (or dead) to care, will this become just a temporary moment in style that we are carrying on?

For me now I've stopped trying for orthodoxy in my Ivy wear and to adopt all modern wear in the style, to look contemporary but attain a certain look, of a certain Ivy oriented style but without seeking any self-imposed rule based strict alignment my sense of authenticity is to wear a look that achieves a sensibility I'm aspiring for using the best quality producers available to me, starting locally in UK and proceeding outwards from there.   I have a busy, active life where other considerations can come before clothes and nobody else cares, in that situation compromises have to be made.   I always look Ivy but is it even sensible to fret about darts on a jacket or twin vents, I assert ultimately this is a consideration only of the world's most privileged.    It's entertaining for us but ultimately completely nonsensical.   I'm sitting in a country this week where the power goes out every day, where the traffic lights suddenly stop working yet business and life goes on.   To even introduce such topics to conversation shows insensitivity.   However the readers of the group do have the time, energy and often money to explore these interests.   It just feels a bit too much sometimes, perhaps it's me, a mid life Ivy crisis.   I don't need any more clothes ever but the search for the perfect item goes on.   When is enough, too much?

Although he's too busy to be here these days, our UK Modenist friend living in Noway and I explored this over time and it was the word 'sensibility' that we settled on - not fashion, or style, or scene but a simple, internally created 'sensibility' that emerges over time and can be trusted with experience and reference points to draw upon.

So although he and I may look different, we would recognise each other's identity though the physical embodiment in style, haircut, even stance of our sensibility.

In my case this was accepting that it's entirely personal, I never meet anyone here as my working life means I'm rarely able to plan and that it's all in my head, with others around me picking up only the smallest hint of the style and its context.   I shouldn't care but I do, I want them to know.

For others this embodiment is through scenes or meeting each other, demonstrating your personal sense of identify and showing both conformity with others and your distinction from it.   This of course is the contradiction at the heart of any scene, especially the Mods as the album Quadrophenia articulated well after the event.   It's a kind of impossible conundrum that is ultimately addressed by growing up and moving on, you realise it doesn't matter. 

For example in JSA clothing, that can never be truly authentic on the whole, but it really doesn't matter as it achieves a sort of desired authenticity through a prism of the UK?   Does JS have a regular clientèle who see him as authentic USA Ivy style - well for important items maybe, but otherwise, it's clearly perceived as something else.  Even if, Grenfell, Sebago, J.Press etc he sells are truly original brands.  It's perhaps the perceived affrontary of not being from USA but being Ivy orthodox that upsets some.   If the Andover shop had moved to UK in 1960 would it still be accepted by USA Ivy universities?  Perhaps only in this area of style does this issue ever arise, because there is some kind of pedigree and history we are seeking to adopt.   So is our self worth enhanced by an ever greater sense of authenticity, of being more aligned with the source?    Are we 'radical conformists' or ultimately just 'conformists' to something ever more elusive?   

This question of authenticity in clothing really is at the heart of it.   A good wool jumper made to the same quality is the same whereever it arrives, so why Shetland wool, why is Scottish somehow more authentic, more 'Ivy'?   Why is the Englishness of Barbour such as an aspirational aspect of Ivy?   If the exact same jacket came from Bulgaria, would it even get noticed?    It's about association with history, with an origin, perhaps even some kind of elite we want to feel we are in some small way connected to.   How can I adopt Ivy to be classless when at the heart of it is a reach back to the British monied, aristocratic, hunting classes?   It is my own personal contradiction that is unresolvable.   My ancestors in Ireland fought for freedom from those people and here I am unconsciously adopting a form of their dress.

But it comes back to this, at this remove, accepting that Ivy is gradually becoming a historical style, can authenticity be achieved?  Is it sensible to try?  Does it matter?  Ultimately and perhaps most importantly, who for?

Being disassociated by time, country, birth status and more from the source of Ivy style it is not sensible for me to seek to achieve any kind of authenticity, I don't actually care at all about its lofty associations, these are people who ultimately ruled over my forebears.   It is the modern, classless aspect that appeals, a look that slides between societal levels and creates the impression of equality, modernity and creativity.    I don't care or need any link back to the source, it's a relief not to care.   It's a look.... a sensibility.   As has been said many times, only when you understand purist Ivy can you go on an break the rules, be free.  That's where I am, whether I know the rules or not, I simply don't care for them.  In real, practical terms although we and I aspire for it, the 3/2 roll is a pointless, costly affectation.  In logical terms it's useless, I guess that's why such as Paul Stuart dropped it.   But it's not widely accepted to be a two button jacket, we reject perfectly good jackets to hunt for one with a third unseen button and a roll.   Objectively in a non Ivy based way, why is that? Somehow the pointlessness of the feature is the point.  Whimsicality, money that does not need to care, a tiny bit of unrealised superiority that says I can do this for the pure enjoyment of it.

I care to create the look that achieves the sensibility and outcome in those looking at it.   But maybe this is how the 60s evolution to Go To Hell happened in rejecting and confronting conformity and then the seventies where look evolved to reflect a time and then reverted back, ever younger, stricter and richer into the original 80s Prep.   That said, complying is everything, in money, in style, in birth.   Now prep is a fashion aspiration or in hipster eyes a fashion accusation.   But authenticity in Ivy, Prep to who and what era?   

This set of questions plays through my head so there's some relief is just putting it out there and seeing what results.

Perhaps it's not just me that's questioned these points?   Disjointed as they are.   I'm as much part of confirming and rebelling as everyone else.  It just itches at me..... why do I care?   

ps  this is a bottle of SA red wine stimulating this ramble.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-01-27 16:06:13)

#2 2015-01-27 16:01:39

YoungSoulRebel

Re: AuthenticIvy

This is easily one of the best posts that I've read on here in a VERY long time. I have nothing to add as I could not agree more and you've summarized better than I could. I'll only add one thing: From my point of view, clothes should be fun and bring you joy (that is if you are perusing a site like this anyway) as they are fairly insignificant (other than protection from hypothermia) in the grand scheme of things. The level of animosity over the "rules" of Ivy style is absolutely ridiculous IMO.

#3 2015-01-27 16:08:36

An Unseen Scene

Thank you, the points aren't quite there yet in my long note but it's been playing in my mind for a long time.   I agree with the fun aspect, joy is a very good word.   We find our enjoyment in things that resonate with us.   That thing of wanting to be the same but wanting to be different, is it a teenage thing I can't let go, am I trying to prove something?  I don't know.   It's fun though as you say.   Perhaps it's simple, there was a moment or a short lived era when the combination of influences arrived simultaneously to create something unique that was the perfection of something embodied in clothing.   For me that's the modernist fusing USA and Italian in the late 1950s or so, but others it's a Southern traditionalist bow tie oriented sensibility.   I'm not sure even with the banner of Ivy we are reaching towards the same thing, maybe that doesn't matter either.  People who enjoy New Orleans style trad jazz don't enjoy free jazz, but it's all jazz and part of a lineage.   The same may be true here.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-01-27 16:12:09)

#4 2015-01-27 17:12:30

colin
Bright Light

Last edited by colin (2015-01-27 17:14:02)

#5 2015-01-27 17:17:15

Jeff Reed

The look is one aspect. While some demand authenticity of origin, I demand quality. Once Vietnam can produce a Shetland as good as Scotland, or the USA, I'll buy them. If the same Barbour comes out of Bulgaria for lower cost, I'll buy that as well. It hasn't happened yet.

If I pay attention to my clothes, am I being ridiculous? Of course I am. Life is utter nonsense. Some people spend thousands of dollars on a dinner. Others watch inane melodramas on TV for hours on end. People get in fights over local sport teams that have nothing to do with them except that they reside in the same city. If I give up thinking about clothes, am I going to concern myself with power outages in Papua New Guinea? No.

I am so tired of the BB lamentations. When was BB ever the pinnacle of quality? I'll answer my own question: never. I'm a long standing customer. I still go there. I'm not happy with everything. But I am tired of people pretending it was some Mecca of quality. I got the same quality sweaters they had at BB at Wanamakers and Mom probably paid half the price. I do believe BB quality has declined. But so has just about everything else. The offerings at Lord and Taylor and Macy's are abysmal. Used to be you could find quality goods in your everyday department store. That's very difficult today. BB is still offering better goods than the department stores. That might not be saying much to many here, but it is a long way from becoming Macy's.

Anyway, just this weekend I was looking around for a made in USA cotton sweater. Bean boasts about their 100% USA cotton sweaters...made somewhere else, and certainly a third-world hellhole factory as the ominous "imported" label proclaims. Funny how items made in Italy, France, and the UK, e.g., never are advertized as "imported." BB are clearly made in China. Eventually, I did find someone making made in USA cotton sweaters...out of a 3d printer. I have no idea what that means and do not have the stamina to find out.

So, yeah, Ivy isn't just a look. It's not about authenticity of origin for origin-sake. Ivy clothes should be quality goods that can age, not cheap goods that achieve the look, but  need to be discarded after a relatively short time. And life is nonsense.

#6 2015-01-27 18:29:21

oxford cloth button down

#7 2015-01-27 18:59:27

Worried Man

Interesting thoughts, Unseen.  I'll try to muster up a little blurb on my take here before I'm off to a late dinner.  Rehashing much of what I've said before, but I'll try to be succinct. 

For me, it's just a look I love, and the details, no matter how minute, go into the creation of the whole.  My take is obviously tied in with that "perfect moment in time", as you say Unseen, which was utterly fleeting, and for me, this period is pretty much 1955 - 1965.  I'm talking in strictly aesthetic terms here.  I'm not committing the fallacy of saying "everything was better back then," but for me, the American natural shoulder look of that particular era is unsurpassed as far as a widely adopted mode of dress for a vast segment of the American male population. 

And I obsess over authenticity, but more authenticity of the particular look of that time and place, rather than any authenticity of origin or heritage.  But this seeming obsession is quite pervasive in other areas in my life.  When I'm restoring a vintage drum set, I have to have ALL the correct pieces.  I can't have some part that, while perfectly functional, is from a later or earlier era, unless it's an exact reproduction of the original part.  Same with this old Ford pickup I'm trying to fix up.  I don't want any apparent anachronisms to ruin the whole.  The colors must be correct, the wheels must be the correct size for the period, hide the iPod connection in the glove box so it's not seen, etc.  However, what this does in turn, is make the whole itself, a big anachronism.  Plus, the fact that it was so fleeting makes it that much more interesting to me.  And I've always been drawn to artifacts of ages past and antiques and ephemera, whether cars, furniture, magazines, Georgia Tech yearbooks.  So the style just kind of fits nicely into this aspect of my interests and personality. 

Friends and people that know me get this, and I think it makes sense to them and I think I carry it off in a way that puts me above the freakish reenactors and I navigate the real world and don't live in some delusion that it's 1959 all day every day.  To me, these are just interests, hobbies, things to occupy my time, and trying to achieve the authenticity, the correctness, is part of the fun for me.  Ivy just fits into this scheme, but it's also conveniently functional, in that it's clothing.  So it's a constant enjoyment, for I can't always listen to the great jazz, or tinker on my truck, or polish my mid-century furniture but I have to get dressed every day, and then the style still keeps me planted in this general aesthetic that I love.  My "life aesthetic" I think I called it one time.  The clothes kind of tie it all together in a way.  But in reality, only when coming across provocative posts like this on the forum do I even put so much thought into it.  At base, it's just what I like.  I mean, you've gotta have some style or no style at all right? 

And like you say, it's apparently a ridiculous and shallow endeavor, but it's not all-consuming, nor do I take for granted that I'm in a very privileged position that allows me to explore these interests and fret over things such as the hook on a center vent.  But I derive enjoyment from it, and that's the only real justification I need to carry on.  Could I stand to buy less clothes, or purge some that I have?  Of course. 

But I will echo Jeff on the quality point, in that I have been trying to seek out better quality garments, and spending a little more here and there on new items that will hopefully stand the test of time.  I'll never stop looking for vintage gems too, but I think I've got the acuity at this point to recognize quality when I see and feel it.  So I used to subscribe more to the "cheap goods that achieve the look" idea, but now I feel I need to be more selective, be prepared to spend a bit more on new items, and make sure I mold my wardrobe into one that will serve me well, both in terms of form and function, for many years to come.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#8 2015-01-27 21:25:45

Jivy

That's why I love ivy clothing so much Worried Man! And the best part is, you can wear it all the time, and no one will ever bat an eye, well at least in America. It never usually looks like a costume. There are a few exceptions. lol

Last edited by Jivy (2015-01-27 21:26:24)

#9 2015-01-28 00:12:07

An Unseen Scene

Thanks for replies everyone - quality and interest are both key points.

#10 2015-01-28 00:45:19

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#11 2015-01-28 02:00:51

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#12 2015-01-28 02:01:37

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#13 2015-01-28 02:14:39

Yuca

#14 2015-01-28 02:29:43

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#15 2015-01-28 03:00:04

katon

What I like about American suits made in English fabrics or Indian madras in an American buttondown, is that they are collaborations -- England says, "This is English fabric", America says, "This is American tailoring", and what we get is a mixture of England and America. India says, "This is our dyeing and weaving tradition", America says, "This is our preference for pattern and cut", and the end result is a mixture of India and America. Even "Made in China" can be made this way -- China says, "Here's our Shantung silk", America says, "Here's our tailoring", and the collaborating jackets are now both Chinese and American. However, that's not how modern outsourcing works -- instead, it's "Make what we want and you'll get to keep our contract." There's no collaboration at all. Take Brooks Brothers "Made in Malaysia" shirts -- there's no collaboration there, just young Malaysian and Chinese women happy to have a steady paycheck. It loses some of the magic, in my opinion.

Last edited by katon (2015-01-28 03:18:00)

#16 2015-01-28 03:40:31

Yuca

#17 2015-01-28 04:44:12

katon

Last edited by katon (2015-01-28 05:12:45)

#18 2015-01-28 06:30:30

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#19 2015-01-28 06:49:27

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

I'm pleased cars don't have vinyl seats anymore. Any kid who's ever sat down on those in shorts on a hot day will agree.

#20 2015-01-28 07:24:24

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Some interesting points raised by Unseen: of course none of our obsessions with clothing detail and styles matter because there are far more serious issues in life to consider. We all know that such preoccupations are shallow and trivial and that really we should be out there saving the rainforest or bringing about an end to all disease and suffering but the limitations of everyday life and the compromises we have to make preclude such lofty ideals in all but a minority of lives. But people consciously or unconsciously need fulfilment and often seek it through a multitude of interests or material aspirations, nobody really needs any more than a Ford Focus to get them from A to B, nobody needs any more than a Timex to tell them what time it is, but some still hunger for a classic Mercedes or a Rolex. Is there anything wrong with that? Well no not at all as long as you understand that these things are secondary and that a quick reversal of fortunes will send you back down the hierarchy of human needs to more crucial matters. A redundancy notice, a bad health diagnosis or your house roof blowing off and all of a sudden the importance of that new pair of cordo longwings recedes into the distance. So for me the ability to read clothing forums and obsess over matters such as collar roll and trouser length is an indicator that all is largely okay at Woof Towers. I do concern myself over whether jackets have the details that I like, I’m interested in clothing and style, so why wouldn’t I?

As stated earlier in the thread, I’m tending towards an ivy style that suits a more mature gentleman, I’m not sure that I can, or want to, pull off highwaters, narrow lapels and narrow ties these days. If pushed I would claim that I’m seeking the classic traditional American style. My aim is to blend in, not stand out other than to project a smart look that is, without getting into the realms of ‘being sussed’ and all it’s tiresome connotations, different to the mainstream. Is there anything wrong with wanting to be different? Is it a teenage hang up? I don’t think so; we all struggle for individuality in a homogenised world and this can be seen in many aspects of behaviour, these nuances of personality are what make people different and interesting. As long as you don’t think that pair of cordo longwings is actually going to make you better than someone else who wears Hi-Tec trainers – they’re probably just not interested in clothes.

As for authenticity, it’s part of the appeal, but not all of it. I can fetishise over my Rogers Peet overcoat, a recent vintage acquisition that I unashamedly trumpeted on the forum, I expect to derive pleasure from it for many years. But it’s not essential to me that items are vintage, I’ll take the look wherever I can get it, J Press or JS are both welcome to my cash if they’ve got what I want. The only imperative is that I require quality, I’ve reached the point in life where I can afford to spend (up to a point) on well made clothes, so again why not? Often, particularly with jackets and coats, the only way to find that quality in the style I like is to go vintage and of course it is more affordable. I rarely go out without wearing some old item, but equally I rarely go vintage head to toe, that can send out the wrong signals. I’m lucky in that I’ve got more clothing than I could ever wear but the process goes on; I’m engaged in upgrade and refinement. So, I’ve got some vintage Dexter loafers that are okay but then I see some deadstock ones that are obviously better, so I buy them and try to discipline myself to sell the old ones or give them away. I put my madras shirts away at the end of the summer and make a mental note that a couple of them are looking a bit worn and shabby – John Simons brings out some that I like the look of so I buy a couple, and so on. Stuff being retired or sold on, new (to me) stuff coming in, I’m always looking at clothes and probably always will be. It’s a harmless little hobby really.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#21 2015-01-28 07:34:08

Worried Man

Last edited by Worried Man (2015-01-28 07:36:27)

#22 2015-01-28 07:37:37

Worried Man

#23 2015-01-28 07:50:43

Chet

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#24 2015-01-28 08:08:09

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#25 2015-01-28 09:36:11

An Unseen Scene

Looking back at my original post last night, it was a stream of consciousness thing liberated by a bottle of red wine.
There were a number of thoughts and concepts, some connecting, some disparate woven into that text.
I'm glad it's stimulated interesting responses.   Thanks.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-01-28 10:17:32)

Board footer