You are not logged in.

#51 2015-04-06 06:42:04

Patrick

Re: Low

"Move a muscle, change a thought."

A brisk 30-minute walk does wonders — as long as you don't collapse on the couch afterwards, with a bowl of potato chips and some insane crap on the teevee

#52 2015-04-06 06:50:18

Ethan Allenbach

Goodyear welt wrote:

I find smoking weed helps with depression...

Indeed.

When we use cannabis we undoubtedly have more inhibitory control of our neurons. This results in enhanced neural-plasticity or more control of neural connections. This often allows unrelated issues to be related in such a way that new notions occur. Such connections are frequently viewed as  an epiphany or sudden realisation of the truth of the matter.

Moreover, human beings appear to possess  a functioning Endocannabinoid System (ECS) that may be bolstered  by the exogenous use of phytocannabinoids, which are present in cannabis. People with an imperfectly functioning  ECS may have depression, anxiety, insomnia and have anger problems. This is why Cannabis helps these issues and why   cannabis use is medical ,regardless of the motivation of the user.

#53 2015-04-06 08:40:45

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^That's interesting, clearly I must be as fit as a fiddle, as I can't stand the hippie drug, a poor man's alcohol IMCO. Good for students with not much dough.

If I was suffering from depression, a good dose of MDMA in the right circumstances would likely be just the ticket that exploded.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#54 2015-04-06 09:10:41

Ethan Allenbach

4F Hepcat wrote:

... I can't stand the hippie drug, a poor man's alcohol IMCO. Good for students with not much dough. ...

Certainly a half unit or so of the poison ethanol might have positive effects on our biochemistry as the body marshals its resources to fight the toxin, but individuals can rarely stop at that.

The result is the over- stimulation of our reptilian brain stem  and all the negative personal and societal consequences that that entails. (pun intended)

#55 2015-04-06 09:23:16

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

So you fall into the camp that the psychoactive effects of cannabis are inherently benign? I live in a country where you can buy it over the counter and believe me, one look at the denizens in a coffee shop is enough to inform you that it ain't that good or healthy.

The problem with violence and alcohol in the UK, it is cultural and would exist with whatever drugs where legal. I've experienced violent people on cannabis, the same with alcohol of course, to a much greater extent, but that's because it's widely available and acceptable. I've seen less with MDMA, in fact, I've never seen anyone get violent on it.

#56 2015-04-06 09:33:59

Ethan Allenbach

4F Hepcat wrote:

I live in a country where you can buy it over the counter and believe me, one look at the denizens in a coffee shop is enough to inform you that it ain't that good or healthy.

I think we possibly need to factor in here all the extra- medical aspects of modern life,  which often render the finest pharmaceutical concoction (whether that be 'natural' or contrived) impotent to effect positive change.

#57 2015-04-06 09:41:17

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^Good point. I also note that the younger generation is turning away from lager and beer, perhaps, as we're not all working in manual occupations the glucose rich blurry delights of beer are no longer that interesting?

#58 2015-04-06 13:13:02

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The trouble with constant weed use is that you become addicted. Not in the same sense as smack or drink but it can cause a real problem with ones ability to cope with everyday things if you run out when your stress level seems to tip at the slightest problem. I used to smoke not far of an oz a week for many years. I smoked all day at work and during the evening, though I'd say after the first J of the day the drug really didn't seem to have much of an effect. For sure by 5pm it was just a fuzzy speed like buzz. During this time I can't remember dreaming much. I do remember it enhanced my football and cricket playing and I'd love nothing more than running 5km everyday, which kinda goes against being the stereo typical stone head image. I also remember I ate some proper shite and had quite a few crashes in cars, nothing major. Just minor bumps.

I'd say it takes about a week for the craving to stop. I'll take the odd toke still, at a party. I buy a gram maybe twice a year and hate myself when I smoke the first J from it but really look forward to getting home from work and smoking one the next day. When its gone its gone. If you can keep it under check its ok. I'm not sure its a good idea to have coffee shops. Maybe not for me anyway.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#59 2015-04-06 13:40:54

Worried Man

^
A good friend of mine used to be a daily all-day smoker too.  And he also ran miles per day.  It always struck me as odd; as you say, not really the stereotypical stoner behavior.  Plus he maintained a regular job.  Being in the haze was just his typical demeanor.  He's not like that anymore and I don't even know if he partakes at all.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#60 2015-04-06 19:57:58

Chévere

I smoked a lot in college and medical school. Then life just sort of took over and I don't anymore, except when time and circumstances are right, which is seldom. Now that I'm sixty, what I have noticed about all my friends who never stopped smoking is that once the conversation gets beyond a certain speed or altitude they just can't keep up, get repetitive, or fall back on old chestnuts.
Coincidentally, the slang term for being stoned in Panama is "trabado", or stuck.

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#61 2015-04-06 20:07:23

stanshall

4F Hepcat wrote:

^That's interesting, clearly I must be as fit as a fiddle, as I can't stand the hippie drug, a poor man's alcohol IMCO. Good for students with not much dough.

If I was suffering from depression, a good dose of MDMA in the right circumstances would likely be just the ticket that exploded.

although Bill B. (and I don't mean WFB, Jr.) definitely enjoyed his smoke, all the way to the end ......

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#62 2015-04-07 04:07:17

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^You mean Old Bull Lee?

#63 2015-04-07 07:21:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Ethan Allenbach wrote:

Goodyear welt wrote:

Indeed.

When we use cannabis we undoubtedly have more inhibitory control of our neurons. This results in enhanced neural-plasticity or more control of neural connections. This often allows unrelated issues to be related in such a way that new notions occur. Such connections are frequently viewed as  an epiphany or sudden realisation of the truth of the matter.

Moreover, human beings appear to possess  a functioning Endocannabinoid System (ECS) that may be bolstered  by the exogenous use of phytocannabinoids, which are present in cannabis. People with an imperfectly functioning  ECS may have depression, anxiety, insomnia and have anger problems. This is why Cannabis helps these issues and why   cannabis use is medical ,regardless of the motivation of the user.

I certainly can't come up with words to match that! However there are parallels with alcohol, most people are more relaxed, pleasant and sociable when they have had one or two drinks. However as the quantity and regularity of intake increases so they can become dysfunctional and sometimes unpleasant. People who are dependant need a daily drink to maintain normality but nobody would say that they are functioning as well as a sober person. Cannabis users generally light up with the aim of getting stoned whereas the majority of drinking is social in nature. When someone regularly drinks with the avowed intention of getting stoned it's generally because they have a problem with alcohol. Whilst there people who can gain a medical benefit from cannabis it is well documented that heavy cannabis use can rob users of motivation and lead to psychotic behaviour, particularly with the high strength varieties available today. The negatives outweigh the positives.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#64 2015-04-07 07:34:22

Bop

#65 2015-04-07 07:57:14

stanshall

4F Hepcat wrote:

^You mean Old Bull Lee?

but of course Hep ... /\  "ticket that exploded" ...... the worst grower in all of Texas ..... but he got much better at it in Kansas, years later ..... so they say

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#66 2015-04-07 08:03:36

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

woofboxer wrote:

Ethan Allenbach wrote:

Goodyear welt wrote:

Indeed.

I certainly can't come up with words to match that! However there are parallels with alcohol, most people are more relaxed, pleasant and sociable when they have had one or two drinks. However as the quantity and regularity of intake increases so they can become dysfunctional and sometimes unpleasant. People who are dependant need a daily drink to maintain normality but nobody would say that they are functioning as well as a sober person. Cannabis users generally light up with the aim of getting stoned whereas the majority of drinking is social in nature. When someone regularly drinks with the avowed intention of getting stoned it's generally because they have a problem with alcohol. Whilst there people who can gain a medical benefit from cannabis it is well documented that heavy cannabis use can rob users of motivation and lead to psychotic behaviour, particularly with the high strength varieties available today. The negatives outweigh the positives.

The other thing, as it is an illicit prohibited substance, you are put into face-to-face dealings with gangsters and that is never a good idea.

We use to work with a guy who smoked a lot of dope, he was always having Monday's off with a back problem that he advised was a form of spina-bifida. Someone rented his spare room out for awhile and he had different perspective on his absences on Monday's, he said he smoked that much weed over the weekend, he would fall unconscious on his settee in strange positons and wake-up all contorted and unable to move without smoking yet more grass.

Another chap I knew, would on smoking his first joint of the evening, enter a fairy tale world of bewildered enchantment and sit there and not say anything, just look at you and smile for the whole evening. Quite embarrassing and unnerving to the uninitiated.

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2015-04-07 08:04:11)

#67 2015-04-07 08:26:00

Ethan Allenbach

4F Hepcat wrote:

woofboxer wrote:

Ethan Allenbach wrote:

Indeed.

The other thing, as it is an illicit prohibited substance, you are put into face-to-face dealings with gangsters and that is never a good idea.

We use to work with a guy who smoked a lot of dope, he was always having Monday's off with a back problem that he advised was a form of spina-bifida. Someone rented his spare room out for awhile and he had different perspective on his absences on Monday's, he said he smoked that much weed over the weekend, he would fall unconscious on his settee in strange positons and wake-up all contorted and unable to move without smoking yet more grass.

Another chap I knew, would on smoking his first joint of the evening, enter a fairy tale world of bewildered enchantment and sit there and not say anything, just look at you and smile for the whole evening. Quite embarrassing and unnerving to the uninitiated.

Once again we cannot discount the fact that some people are simply messed up, whether that be due to genetic factors or because of societal reasons or owing to a combination of the two.

The person who 4Hepcat describes as entering an enchanted state upon smoking a spliff sounds particularly 'uncool' and seems a grownup version of the mythical children who are reported by  incompetent parents as being high on Smarties.

#68 2015-04-07 08:34:44

Worried Man

I just get really annoying and talkative if I'm around other people in a social setting, and highly animated with hands gesturing and arms waving and I'll become overly enthusiastic about the most mundane things ever. I mean... generally speaking; it has nothing to do with substance abuse.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#69 2015-04-08 01:25:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Ethan Allenbach wrote:

The person who 4Hepcat describes as entering an enchanted state upon smoking a spliff sounds particularly 'uncool' and seems a grownup version of the mythical children who are reported by  incompetent parents as being high on Smarties.

He can't have been that uncool as he retired aged 52 to the south china seas with catamaran for diving trips and a jungle bar for the tourists! Must admit being a disenchanted sort from a Joseph Conrad novel is not actually my scene, but it does have its possibilities for those of a certain wavelength.

#70 2015-04-08 01:34:29

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

stanshall wrote:

4F Hepcat wrote:

^You mean Old Bull Lee?

but of course Hep ... /\  "ticket that exploded" ...... the worst grower in all of Texas ..... but he got much better at it in Kansas, years later ..... so they say

I was thinking again this morning, how Burroughs voodoo alchemical satirical texts have mapped out the topography of the arabesque psyche and dystopia of our times better than anyone.

He did like vodka too in later life, mind you, never more than two or three before a meal. And never a drink before 6.30PM, good advice.

#71 2015-04-08 01:58:46

ZarJazz

^^^"He did like vodka too in later life, mind you, never more than two or three before a meal. And never a drink before 6.30PM, good advice."
Hmmmm, from my experience of alcoholics, setting yourself out a timetable and rules in which to drink by is a sure sign that behind closed doors, when you're alone, you're polishing off a bottle of vodka before breakfast.

Using drugs or booze is not the way to heal your mind.

#72 2015-04-08 10:26:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Rules are good when it comes to booze: never mix the grape with the grain, or never open that second bottle of wine, or have more than three drinks before a meal - this all makes sense to me, but I get what you are saying.

I agree as well: drugs are not going to remedy a bad situation i.e. working in a dead-end job on the line in a car factory, or no job at all. In such a circumstance, depression is a reasonable human response and anti-depressants are not the answer.

#73 2015-04-08 11:11:20

Bop

I think you hit the nail on the head Hep.. drugs, drink, over eating, over spending..all mask something deeper..the exception being people who are hiding or coping with trauma and or clinical depression ...that really  can be very destructive..depression due to the enviroment youre in whether it be a combination of poor diet, stress, unhappy relationships.. I believe that people willing to be honest and able to reflect on themselves can probably sort that out without legal or illegal assistance.. saying that if you can function and dont burden people around you...do what the hell you like..

There is a thinking where people are just expected to take a shit life and be happy with it (standard British working class approach).. but thats not the way we are drugs are given out for people to cope with lives that typically see stress and worry grind them into a depression..is that really the lives would should be living..most people would benefit from simpler lives imo.

Last edited by Bop (2015-04-08 11:20:15)

#74 2015-04-08 12:06:24

Worried Man

We're not meant to just be cogs in the capitalist machine man.  That's not what it is to be human.  We're just, like, forced to live in this system that's completely antithetical to our nature and innate desires.  Of course we're gonna get oppressed, suffer duress, get depressed, regress, and then in the end it just boils down to how plush your pine box is, maaaan.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/e2/4a/09e24a92e0de85fc20b2445dbcca8e65.jpg

#75 2015-04-08 12:16:39

Bop

And that's when you reach for the bongos.

Board footer