You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Wearing Ivy League Clothing, without a University education

#1 2015-02-26 06:00:31

Tommy

Wearing Ivy League Clothing, without a University education

I'm not sure if this is actually the right forum for this, but I'd be interested to know how many people on here who subscribe to an Ivy League style of dress, haven't actually been to University?

My own education stopped at 18, although I probably could of gone on, I wasn't interested at the time, although my brother and sister did (and ended up with the massive debts to go with it in my sisters case, by brother is actually a full time academic now). I just never felt the need to carry on any formal schooling, but have tried to educate myself by being well read and even attending a few night classes.

I'm definitely not against further education, though I do think it's often over priced and I do think more apprenticeships and so on should be created. My own interest in and choice of clothing comes from a desire to look sharp in a way that doesn't mean being a peacock but something much more subtle. I also think dressing smartly were work is concerned and looking fairly clean cut when casual can shape peoples perceptions of you positively.

If you did go on to study further, has it affected your style of dress?

#2 2015-02-26 06:06:46

Tomiskinky

Re: Wearing Ivy League Clothing, without a University education

In my day it was FREE FREE FREE!

I have always worn good clothes, but it's nothing to do with my education, more so the influence of my mother who owned her own boutique in the 70s and 80s.

#3 2015-02-26 06:13:11

Worried Man

I have a degree, but that has absolutely zero to do with clothes.  Ivy for all, regardless of education.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2015-02-26 06:16:10

Harpo
The Best In The West

It has fuck all to do with going to University. Absolutely fuck all. Haven't we got past this?

Randy lower-class trifler

#5 2015-02-26 06:21:52

Worried Man

At this point the vast majority of college students in the US dress like slobs on a daily basis, even at the Ivies.  There's no link anymore.  It's all down to personal style.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2015-02-26 06:22:41

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Ivy works at the school of hard knocks too.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#7 2015-02-26 06:25:54

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

From a UK perspective, up until about 1982, the only men who went into higher education other than chinless in-bred toffs were hippies. At least that's the impression my sixth form gave me!

I can't perceive that a university education in the UK is a route into Ivy gear, jihadism yes, but not sporting Ivy.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2015-02-26 06:25:59

Tommy

#9 2015-02-26 06:42:53

Harpo
The Best In The West

#10 2015-02-26 07:10:20

Acrilan-Man

Look around your average campus in the last 40 years - not much Ivy was there! The relationship between Ivy clothes and higher education is purely historical and ceased to be a factor in the early 1960s. Watch out though - I can feel the presence of Frosty Mellor on my shoulder here….

#11 2015-02-26 07:32:24

Tommy

I'm not going to be  offended if the thread goes.  It was a bit of a case of thinking out loud,  without thinking whether it had been discussed before.

#12 2015-02-26 08:24:39

Jeff Reed

It's the thread title that is misleading here. The actual post poses two questions, and the post does not argue any connection between clothing and education. Tomiskinky answered the second question. No takers yet on the first.

Much more important than my own education with respect to developing my style are the experiences and education of my parents. Both were in college in the early 60s. My Dad was a military officer and a sometimes State Department lackey before entering the private sector with an international company that was stocked with former military men, foreign and domestic.

I think Mom just dressed me as a small version of Dad and I stuck with it.

I too entered the military and though Ivy style was rare at the time, my unit was encouraged to "dress well" when leaving base, and at the very least Marines generally do not go out as slobs.

#13 2015-02-26 09:08:47

ZarJazz

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree and no, it didn't lead me to the Ivy Style.
Oh, and I flirted with the Mod style 30 or so years ago... but quickly grew out of it.

#14 2015-02-26 09:14:22

PT

I left a run-down comp at 15 with no qualifications as I didn't turn up for my exams as I hated school

"Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy."

#15 2015-02-26 09:19:46

Worried Man

Ah yes...  Well, my participation in higher education did not impact my choice of clothing in the least bit.  I was wearing the same crap I wore in high school and I really didn't even think about clothes at all back then.  I had a few pairs of pants, shoes, and shirts, and pretty much wore the same thing in rotation each week.  I was far more focused and far less bored back then, as when I wasn't in class I was studying or sleeping, so I didn't have much time to idly daydream about style or clothing.  And I was hardly ever on the internet or ebay.  I just didn't really have any appreciation for any particular style and had zero interest in cultivating a wardrobe outside of stuff that was cheap and comfortable.  Not to mention, I had far less disposable income.

#16 2015-02-26 09:20:02

Harpo
The Best In The West

#17 2015-02-26 10:03:32

Bop

I think Ivy in the US has the connotations that dressing like a 1980s Stephen Fry does in the Uk.

Last edited by Bop (2015-02-26 10:03:55)

#18 2015-02-26 10:07:32

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#19 2015-02-26 10:19:30

Bop

Your equivalent of a toff... over here Ivy probably slips past most normal people as a smart casual style...maybe a wiff of geography teacher.. in the US Im supposing Ivy would have its look seen as reflecting the more trad type of individual?

#20 2015-02-26 10:32:10

ZarJazz

#21 2015-02-26 11:16:53

sonofstan

#22 2015-02-26 12:00:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I do seem to get on with this style of dress, even though I only have two 'O' Levels  wink

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#23 2015-02-26 12:30:34

Tommy

I suppose the question I should of asked is do you think your dress sense and your education (wether formal or self education) has affected your choice of clothing?

#24 2015-02-26 13:30:45

ZarJazz

#25 2015-02-26 13:47:58

Tommy

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Wearing Ivy League Clothing, without a University education

Board footer