You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-17 02:53:27

Bop

TI poster Mercer16

I would let this lie if I thought Woof etc. Showed some remorse..when in fact they seem to wear what happened as a badge of honour..

Without going back and quoting specific posts..but to anyone that has followed the WYAWT I think Mercer was treated like shit..and the answer thats been given by the moderators is just put up with it..

To say Mercer was over reacting is pathetic also..if I said woof you dress like shit do you have a clue what your doing...I wonder what your initial response might be...in fact you could say Mercer was restrained.

I think its a joke that as moderators and adults you cant conduct yourselves any differently than you have...and the personal attack of calling you a twat is based on you behaviour to other forum members where you have infact acted like twats..

So there's my beef

Sorry to those bored by ir it thought it derailed the thread, but I think its important because our actions get judged by people who are looking to maybe join the forum..and to see shit like that go on probably puts people off..especially when it comes from the mods and we risk slipping into being a place like style forum or some other piece of shit forum

Last edited by Bop (2015-03-17 02:59:26)

#2 2015-03-17 07:45:21

Yuca

Re: TI poster Mercer16

You've done the right thing by moving the conversation elsewhere. Apart from that you are, with respect, talking complete shit. Mercer has shown the TI forum contempt by ignoring all highly sensitive attempts to inspire him into a more flattering style. When he was finally exposed as not even understanding what he was being told he then admitted that a look that would be more suitable to the forum and flattering to him does not appeal to him because it's old-fashioned. It's all there in black and white. The mods have been remarkably patient with him.

If someone wants to post photos that look like shit then I personally don't have an opinion over whether or not they should be banned - as long as it does not start a trend then it's easier to tolerate it. But to be unwilling to even take constructive criticism without acting like a spoilt brat is pathetic. Just imagine if he had taken our advice on board: right now he'd be wearing far more flattering stuff. Instead he's sulking somewhere, and in all probability wondering when it's time to resume his bombardment of the forum with junk. Whilst various delusional posters go into great detail about how shit his clothes and attitude are - then tell Woof and me we were out of order for dropping hints along those lines. 

Incidentally I suggest you retitle the thread Mercer16 (or The Poster Mercer16) to avoid confusion with the shirts (which have zero connection to this topic).

some sort of banal legitimacy

#3 2015-03-17 07:47:31

Yuca

One more thing: of myself, Woof and you, you're the only one who owns a car. Indeed I'm twice your age and can't drive. So the Clarkson comparison makes zero sense.

#4 2015-03-17 08:12:49

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It was them boots what done it!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2015-03-17 08:33:16

Worried Man

I admit, I had a conniption over the ostrich cowboy boots, but I in no way ever judged Mercer on anything other than the cowboy boots.  I even told Mercer that if he was interested in getting some serious Ivy threads that I'd take him shopping, and that offer still stands, as he lives near me.  I mean, I think that's a pretty generous offer considering I don't even know the guy. 

And Bop, perhaps you shouldn't have stepped down as a moderator if you feel this strongly about things.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2015-03-17 08:40:32

Worried Man

Funnily enough, when Mercer16 initially started posting I went as far as to think it may be some sort of trolling attack, especially as he only posted in the ILSFT thread.  I even brought this up to AC and perhaps even Woof.  The ostrich boots really convinced me of this.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#7 2015-03-17 08:43:04

Worried Man

And Bop, if you are including me, as a moderator, in the "twats" category, could you be a little more precise as to what I've done to be worthy of this insult?  I'm not doubting I could indeed have been twatly.   

Remember, you guys asked me to be a mod and you all had plenty of prior insight into my demeanor before asking.  I take pride in this place and if you, or anyone for that matter, has problems or recommendations or just need to vent, that's what I feel I'm here for as a moderator.  I like to think I'm rather fair and impartial, but I do feel, in light of some of the posts revolving around Mercer16, that some members are really voicing some general dissent about the current atmosphere of the forum and the moderating team.

#8 2015-03-17 09:11:15

Worried Man

As we're all adults on here, my moderating style is to pretty much let things run their course unless someone contacts me with a specific grievance.  It's hard to moderate by considering whether or not each post on the forum could likely offend someone.  If that were the case then I'd probably delete half of the posts I've made, and then I'd also probably recommend you take my place as a moderator.

#9 2015-03-17 10:11:23

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I really dont think Mercer was treated badly and although i am a Mod, i am also a member of the forum and as such should be afforded the right to critique.
If my conduct has been twatish could someone point this out to me ?

Worried man has been a lot more patient with Mercer than anyone else .so why is he being drawn into this.

On reflection and a re read Woof and Yuca did nothing wrong at all in my opinion.
This place is friendly and inclusive but we have got to be able to voice an opinion for fuck sake.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#10 2015-03-17 10:28:58

Worried Man

There have been times when I've felt the need to step in as a mod, and there have been some questionable things that I thought were perhaps worthy of censure and chose to let slide, and I may not be the most sensitive person, but I don't recall anything in the exchanges that really called for some heavy-handed moderating.  Granted, the mods were involved in the exchanges, but I'm being unbiased and we're not in cahoots on this.  Perhaps myself, Woof, and AC are just very much alike, which may not be the best thing for a moderating team.

But I keep hanging on Axelist and Sidewinder's words, and it bothers me that there are people on the forum that feel that the forum is being overtly steered in some direction or that "groupthink" is prevailing and that the mods have some interest in keeping a status quo.  It's not like the three of us get together at the end of each day and selectively censor posts and mark members that need a good whacking in order to keep things nice and Ivy.  Generally, I think the people that are drawn to the forum are drawn here for pretty much the same reason, that being an interest in Ivy style clothing and that general interest is the only selective mechanism that we need.  It goes without saying that a lot of us are going to have a similar opinion on the matters discussed. 

I'll just add that it's probably best if members refrain from attacking others' physical traits. 

If I had it my way this forum would be governed by the following rules:

No talk of politics.

No talk of religion.

Only talk about music, clothes, and pictures of beautiful women and delicious food.

Last edited by Worried Man (2015-03-17 10:41:17)

#11 2015-03-17 11:47:05

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#12 2015-03-17 11:56:37

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#13 2015-03-17 12:13:23

Worried Man

^
Right, right.  So pretty much everything we talk about minus any blatantly cruel and unfair personal insults, politics, and religion.

#14 2015-03-17 13:21:03

Yuca

#15 2015-03-17 13:43:10

Worried Man

If he lived somewhere other than bumblefuck Georgia, I'd likely agree completely.  I really don't think he's a troll.  At least not on purpose.

#16 2015-03-17 14:25:32

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#17 2015-03-17 14:38:39

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

This is now starting to piss me off, Woof you have done nothing wrong.

Bop of all people knows as an ex mod that our work on this forum is  done with a very light touch

and mainly involves deleting spam. Is this how me, Woof and WM should be treated for

doing all the boring shit behind the scenes that most fuckers on here would never do ?

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#18 2015-03-17 15:55:30

Yuca

Seems we've all summarised our opinions, so end of story as far as I'm concerned.

#19 2015-03-18 00:51:26

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I actually did think Mercer was a troll at first, but as we had already crossed the rubycon of rugged Americana work wear, I defended his right to post, as much of the early criticism against him was that he was not sporting Ivy. But those damned boots kept on popping-up like some motif or calling card and I thought again he may be a troll.

In any event, I hope that Bop chills a little and looks at this from long-shot perspective as it really is nothing more than a storm in a tea-cup, I hope.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#20 2015-03-18 05:55:03

Worried Man

Well, I can speak for all the moderators when I say that we really like Bop and value his insight, humor, and very unique and creative contributions to the forum.  I'm sure most other members feel the same.

#21 2015-03-18 06:12:32

doghouse

Last edited by doghouse (2015-03-18 06:13:37)

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#22 2015-03-18 07:10:26

Jeff Reed

Even if I somewhat stretch belief and acknowledge Mercer was personally attacked his cry baby responses and inability to be honest with himself do not move me.

The only reason I don't join the critique of him is because others are already stating my thoughts. No need to pile on then.

He might be a great guy. He doesn't seem mean spirited. Fine. But you must make an attempt to Ivy. He's been told that he is not all that close to ivy style. What does he do after threatening to leave and complaining about the criticism? He goes and changes his sweater and says "what about now?" If that's not him trolling, then it is him not paying attention or learning.

I've got no problem with what he wears. First he dresses better than a lot of guys out there. Second I don't need or want to decry what others choose to wear. But to post it to an ivy enthusiast forum time after time...expect to be beaten down and rightfully so. I'm not going on eurotrashslimfiturbanddouche style for today and posting up my new penny loafers and high rise, massive cuff flannels. If I did I would fully expect the crowd to query: Dude, do you even snort cocaine or drink $200 bottles of vodka?

#23 2015-03-18 07:29:43

Worried Man

#24 2015-03-18 09:47:23

Jeff Reed

#25 2015-03-18 12:37:52

Worried Man

Total party foul on my part.  Sorry 'bout that.  At least you got it on video.

Board footer