You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-21 02:49:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Things We won't Say About Race That Are True

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/things-we-wont-say-about-race-that-are-true/on-demand/59754-001

Excellent docu made by Trevor Phillips former chair of the Commission for Racial Equality who has had a rethink about how political correctness prevents us confronting problems in society.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2015-03-21 06:14:33

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re: Things We won't Say About Race That Are True

I agree and if you listened to the appalling Dianne Abbot later that night on the BBC.

It really backs up how bad things are.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#3 2015-03-21 08:56:40

Worried Man

I'm pretty chummy with a black guy that delivers stuff to our office.  We joke about racial stereotypes all the time, but mainly we just talk about blues music.  Just yesterday he commented on how he wishes more people of different races could joke about stereotypes the way we do and how he feels like it really serves to open up communication.  When he asked me what I perceived to be the source of white males' racial prejudice toward black men, I answered matter of factly "Well, obviously, it's because you guys have bigger dicks."  I thought he was going to keel over from laughter.  Then he just bumped my shoulder and wished me a good weekend.  He was still laughing as he went out the door.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2015-03-21 09:49:49

Patrick

^ See the banter between Spenser and Hawk in Robert Parker's books.

I use a radical tactic — I am polite and respectful to people. It's very effective.

Sometimes I run into an unpleasant person. That's life.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#5 2015-03-21 09:58:23

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

The documentary did reinforce something that we all know but are scared to really talk about.
Human beings are very tribal and we all naturally tend to feel more comfortable with our own tribe.

I just need to find some other white,Catholic, London /Irish guys who like Ivy Leagues clothing.
I think it might just be me and Tommy ?

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#6 2015-03-21 10:02:20

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#7 2015-03-21 11:38:53

RobbieB

Last edited by RobbieB (2015-03-21 11:39:50)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#8 2015-03-21 13:04:40

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#9 2015-03-22 08:12:19

chuck power

I found the programme very interesting too and was going to post about it myself - however, solely as I wanted to see if anyone knew what make his glasses were .... that's how shallow I am hmm  Trevor Philips came across as a good fellow and it is refreshing to see a public a figure admitting that they had f**ked up so royally. His opening gambit that the CRE's tactic was to stop us using 'racist' language, that would in turn stop us thinking racist thoughts was straight out of Orwells 1984 - as mentioned before, I personally think there's not much imagination needed to see where the concept of 'Hate crime' and 'thought crime' meet.

Seriously though, does anyone know what make his specs are ? Suspect that I'll shortly be a full time glasses man and  I'm looking for a good all round pair,

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#10 2015-03-22 09:45:36

Yuca

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/20/race-trevor-phillips-racist-facts-criminalisation-communities

some sort of banal legitimacy

#11 2015-03-22 15:18:20

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

Board footer