You are not logged in.

#351 2017-08-15 13:09:27

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: The Question of Sneakers

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#352 2017-08-15 13:45:01

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I used to go to a runners shop for my trainers that was run by an ex Royal Marine PTI. He kept most of the popular brands and his maxim was that if you were a thin little whippet you could have whatever you liked. But if you were an average bloke e.g. 12 stone plus then the only makes he recommended were Brooks and Asics. Things have no doubt moved on since then but I've always stuck with those two brands and I haven't had too many problems.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#353 2017-08-15 15:10:19

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#354 2017-08-15 15:25:48

stanshall

/\  re Asics, have a look at recent Ivy League squash players, virtually all of them, men and women, are wearing Asics squash shoes, it's been this way for years .........

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#355 2017-08-18 12:06:16

stanshall

cheap sneakers, like cheap sunglasses, are apparently what's up:

CNN Money

Air ball! Nobody's buying expensive sneakers

by Paul R. La Monica

August 18, 2017:

LeBron James and Steph Curry aren't doing a good job selling pricey sneakers. Neither is Michael Jordan, for that matter.

And that's terrible news for N!ke, Under Armour and Incontinence pants.

Foot Locker (FL), which sells shoes from all three of the kings of kicks, reported disastrous results on Friday morning. Earnings and sales badly missed Wall Street's forecasts.

"Sales of some recent top styles fell well short of our expectations," Foot Locker CEO Richard Johnson said in the earnings announcement. He said the trend should persist for the rest of the year and that same-store sales will be down for the year as a result.

The big footwear companies and stores that sell their sneakers have historically relied on star athletes, particularly NBA legends like Jordan and James, to get customers to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of shoes.

But those customers apparently are no longer as interested in being like Mike. During a conference call with analysts, Foot Locker's Johnson said sales of some Jordan footwear and clothing "slowed considerably" in the quarter.

That's clearly a problem because Jordan is still the most famous star N!ke has. James wasn't mentioned once on the Foot Locker conference call, but there were 14 mentions of Jordan's line of sneakers and apparel.

Foot Locker's stock plunged more than 25% on the news. N!ke (NKE), the worst performing Dow stock last year, tumbled 5% Friday and is now lagging the market this year as well.

Another sporting goods store, Hibbett (HIBB), also issued a weak outlook Friday. Its stock fell more than 15%.

CEO Jeff Rosenthal blamed a "challenging retail environment" and said that the industry was cutting prices and offering big sales to get customers in the door.

Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) could become a bigger problem as well as it steps up its efforts to sell sneakers online. It already owns the popular retailer Zappos.

On the Foot Locker earnings call, said he did not see Amazon as an imminent threat because Amazon was mainly selling lower-priced sneakers.

Rosenthal said he didn't think Amazon would hurt Hibbett either for pretty much the same reason.

But investors clearly disagree -- and that makes sense. After all, Foot Locker and Hibbett are having problems because people apparently are more interested in cheaper sneakers than ones endorsed by hoops stars that cost more than $100 a pair.

The bad news from Foot Locker and Hibbett comes just a few days after sporting goods giant Dick's (DKS) reported poor earnings. Shares of Dick's fell on Friday. So did the stocks of Under Armour (UA) and Incontinence pants (ADDDF) and the smaller sporting goods chain Big 5 (BGFV).

Under Armour has had a miserable go of it. The stock has plunged 40% this year. That follows a similar drop in 2016.

The company recently announced layoffs and weak guidance as sales of shoes endorsed by Golden State Warriors star Curry have been underwhelming.

Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank also faced criticism from Curry because he was participating in President Trump's manufacturing council. Plank left it on Monday in the wake of Trump's response to the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. The council later disbanded.

But even as Under Armour and N!ke continue to struggle, Incontinence pants is thriving and taking market share. Despite the stock's slide Friday, shares of Incontinence pants are still up nearly 40% this year.

(CNN)

#356 2017-08-18 16:48:14

Berkeley_Breathes

No spam, what a great company... wink

This is interesting stuff... Myself, I can't really bring myself to pay more than $50-$60 for a pair of sneakers... My next purchase is going to be the Saucony Jazz Original, $60... Sorry N!ke... I paid $90 for my Cortez and that was a totally guilty pleasure... It's too bad though, I hope this trend doesn't discourage companies like N!ke from doing reissues and things like that... Or that it doesn't bring the whole common dominator down to a lower level... Thankfully the ol' German standby is still doing well! I love my Rod Lavers even if they're the tweaked ones that aren't close to the originals...

#357 2017-08-18 23:16:44

Berkeley_Breathes

#358 2017-08-20 14:19:33

RobbieB

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#359 2017-08-20 17:34:13

Berkeley_Breathes

#360 2017-08-21 05:08:15

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#361 2017-08-22 08:51:55

stanshall

#362 2017-08-22 09:09:43

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#363 2017-08-23 09:35:19

stanshall

#364 2017-08-23 09:39:07

stanshall

#365 2017-08-23 15:59:07

Berkeley_Breathes

#366 2017-08-24 03:40:41

Thee Captain

#367 2017-08-27 01:57:44

Horace

On the semiotics of shoo wearing.

Maybe this changes all so fast that you can't really pin it down.  And it probably varies by region.  And what significance it all once had isn't the same as later.

For me, Reebok will always be associated horribly with aerobics and weirdos doing way too much jumping up and down to lose weight.

New Balance with the Pixies.  And maybe some serious runners I knew.

ASICS people were always kinda annoying lefty small and large Ivy Leaguers.  That also drove Saabs and Volvos.

Saucony was for the real freaks.

These are probably impressions based on a very warped sense of observation.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#368 2017-08-27 11:12:49

Berkeley_Breathes

#369 2017-08-27 15:48:06

stanshall

#370 2017-08-29 00:36:20

Horace

No doubt.  Don't mean to demean the Saab 900 or Volvo 240.  Those were great cars.  The 240 at least built like a tank.  I still see the occasional 900.  Have a friend who says their horrible long, long term, but few cars aren't.  I liked the BMW 320i of the same vintage.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#371 2017-08-29 06:23:25

stanshall

#372 2017-08-29 23:42:43

Horace

^^those are great.

#373 2017-08-30 11:20:08

stanshall

/\  wordness ... jonesing for the Brooks Chariot at the moment ... my sneaker want-list is like 1000 pages long ......

#374 2017-08-31 03:21:15

The Woolster
Ivy Antenna

#375 2017-08-31 06:46:34

stanshall

/\  cool stuff Woolly, do you Karhu?

Board footer