You are not logged in.

#76 2022-11-01 05:37:57

Staxfan

Re: What's good in Uniqlo at the mo?

Robbie - how the heck did you get them at 1/2 price ? I bought mine in the Regent St shop, £34.90 by no means expensive, same as the price online, the free alterations would have been helpful, my alteration  costs will be about 35% of the purchase price !

As an  aside Kamakura Shirts have a sale on 1- 7/Nov, about 35% discount on selected shirts including some in the Ivy range,

#77 2022-11-01 06:15:13

RobbieB

Stax-I just lucked out. I wasn't even looking for chinos. They only had a few at half price and I just grabbed them. I tried one pair on and I realised they were my kind of fit.I didn't know at the time that they offer a shortening service.
My alterations were nearly 50%of the purchase price. HaHa. It gave me an opportunity to try out the local shop doing alterations

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#78 2022-11-01 07:44:32

AlveySinger

I am in two minds about Uniqlo.

On the one hand I see great value and some design cues that resonate.

But I have had a few items where the material has been very thin and not stood up to regular wear and tear.

Case in point is their lambswool sweaters. I had a couple that lasted less than two years. I know they're a lot cheaper than say a Harley Shetland but is it false economy?

#79 2022-11-01 08:03:47

Spendthrift

Robbie - I had no idea Uniqlo offered that service. I wonder how many short legged people like me have left the store without knowing that was an option?

Alvey - I suppose it's only a false economy if you're expecting to keep it as long, wash and wear it as much and keep it looking as good for as long as a Harley would? For a lot of people - especially fast fashion shoppers - two years is probably long enough to make use of a blue crew knit. For the price of a Harley you could have three or four Uniqlos which would collectively do you for maybe 8 years? And a hell of a lot of people would baulk at paying over £100 for a sweater.

Of course there's no denying that ultimately, one is just a jumper and the other's going to give the owner that bit of extra pleasure just owning and wearing it

#80 2022-11-01 08:42:21

Runninggeez

I have had a few items where the material has been very thin and not stood up to regular wear and tear.

@Alvey - I know you're a fan of Bill's Khakis, I see that Bill Thomas has started a new venture, PennBilt. Launching pretty soon I gather.

#81 2022-11-01 10:11:32

AlveySinger

^Spendthrift

You have hit the nail on the head. Fast fashion versus enduring style.

I am an old man compared to the youngsters out there. I remember a time when quality was everywhere and you didn't pay a premium for it. My tastes have probably narrowed too.

I want things to last. A sweater that I only wear occasionally for a max 6 months of the year should last for more than two winters.

I have Ralph cashmere cables that are twenty years old and they still look good. They have kept their shape and not pilled.

#82 2022-11-01 10:39:42

AlveySinger

^ Runninggeez.

Yes love the Bills M3's but today they cancelled an order I placed in the sale and have put the prices up to full price. F@&Ck£rs !!

Am looking forward too seeing what PennBilt is like.

The original Bills Company was very good. Did you come across them at the Ivy Shop or at Harringtons?

#83 2022-11-01 12:37:55

Runninggeez

@Alvey - No, but when I used to frequent New England in the early noughties. A lovely little shop in Essex CT, called J Alden Clothiers sold them, nothing to do with the shoe company.

#84 2022-11-01 22:10:38

Dulouz

The socks are good, buy in bulk.

Along with the Aran jumper, I have several v-neck washable wool jumpers. They're not William Lockie quality or thickness, but as my jumpers only tend to last 2-3 winters seasons max, they're good enough for me.

#85 2022-11-02 10:14:28

Tim

Has anyone given their 5-pocket cords a go? They look a bit like Levi’s 511 from days of yore, a trouserni often wish was still in production. I may take the chance and report back. Marginally more expensive than the aforementioned chunk but only by a tenner or so.

#86 2022-11-09 05:00:00

Kingston1an

Socks and the ultra light down gilet. Although the gilet now has narrower panels and in some light colours the garment stitching looks puckered/too tight. Very warm, light & practical although I dont like the look of gilets.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#87 2022-11-19 06:53:54

RobbieB

Popped into Uniqlo today to see what was on offer. Too crowded for me to see much of the merchandise so I just bought the socks and 3 raw white T shirts. These are some of the best t shirts I've ever owned! Good neck detail, heavyweight cotton and the creamy colour becomes white after a couple of washes. A great fit for me and at £12.90 an absolute bargain. Made in Vietnam. Uniqlo offer quite a few different t shirts at different price points so I had to be careful to get the one I wanted.
There was an updated version of a Parka raincoat in green. I was wearing a Uniqlo Parka from a few years ago that I picked up for a song.

#88 2022-12-01 10:54:39

RobbieB

I visited Uniqlo again the other day and was able to check the stock more closely. Lots of winter gear, as you would expect, piled high. The shop seemed overstocked to me so I reckon there will be a few bargains come sale time. I just bought some T shirts. I might buy some navy chinos, for knocking about in, next time I visit

#89 2023-01-30 00:50:04

Staxfan

Bought a few bits @ Uniqlo Georgetown Penang today, 3 prs socks to wear with deck shoes, 4 prs boxers, 2 pocket tees, chino shorts, 2 waffle sweats for the Mrs, just over a hundred quid the lot, I think marginally cheaper than UK, the chinos I bought at 35 quid in London were around 30 quid here, excellent value,

#90 2023-01-30 05:55:12

Kingston1an

Stax,

It's a long way to go for Uniqlo but at least you have warm weather.

I am missing out on the retirement malarkey. I have not been out of the country since lockdown. Too much hassle. Snow no good for skiing in Europe, eye-watering prices.

The brother, in contrast, spent Christmas in county Kerry and is now in the Canary Islands for a month. Just before lockdown they had a month long cruise to the Carribbean, South America.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#91 2023-01-30 07:07:58

Staxfan

Kingston1an - yep a long way but only 15 minutes in a cab from my hotel, easier than a trip to Regent St, we’re a similar vintage and I’m making the most of the retirement malarkey, I understand it’s not for everyone, my oldest pal who 3-4 times per year was off to Spain,Canaries,USA has told me he don’t think he’ll bother traveling abroad after the holiday he has booked in September, he can’t be bothered with the airport hassle which I can understand, long haul seems easier than easyjet to faro, I’m lucky my kids are happy for me to spend their inheritance!

#92 2023-01-30 07:10:33

Staxfan

BTW - the climate here at this time of year is great, little or no humidity, I’ve managed to get 2-3 wears from a shirt in the evenings,

#93 2023-01-30 07:49:57

Kingston1an

Stax,

Good stuff. Enjoy!

A younger outlook would help me. As pointed out, I am too nostalgic for a golden era when I was 10 to 12 years old.

#94 2023-01-30 12:22:26

Tim

Nice looking Mac on the Uniqlo website currently, having been inspired to look at the shapelessness of it all thanks to Kingy. Looks a decent colour, shapeless in the right way and with a pop-in liner.

#95 2023-01-30 19:04:08

Staxfan

Kingy - I guess that golden era you’re referring to was around 63-65, it did feel like something new was happening, music, clothes etc, maybe it was the age we were and where we lived in or around London,
BTW I think I have a new Uniqlo convert in my Wife, she’s now talking about making a trip to the Kingston store when we get back home!

#96 2023-01-31 01:37:18

RobbieB

Stax- my missus converted me to Uniqlo. The offerings for women are pretty good bargains.

#97 2023-01-31 05:00:35

AlveySinger

One of the best things I've purchased from Uniqlo is a dark navy raincoat. It's constructed from a matt nylon and has a detachable liner. 

The weight's ideal for Autumn and Spring. I don't bother removing the liner. It was about £60 in the sale

I think their lambswool saddle shoulder knits are also well worth buying. I've paid as little as £13 for them. Wear them for a couple of years and as soon as they pill they can be discarded without the buyers remorse.

The quality of their merino wool polo shirts is as good as any Smedley  I own. I just wish the collar was slightly larger

#98 2023-02-05 03:19:42

RobbieB

Some great raglan sleeved raincoats  on sale for about £100. Missus wanted to buy a navy one but I talked her out of it. She bought a couple of tops and I paid full price for a pair of navy chinos at £34.90. I sized up to 35 inch waist to get a rise up to my waist. I also bought a denim shirt that I didn't need for £34.90. Box pleat and a 3 finger button down collar with a slight roll. I was going to buy a large but missus said try it on. When I did it was far too baggy so I got a medium. Looking in the mirror I noticed I was doing a 'double denim' and my missus gave a sideward glance and said 'very Canadian' (we lived there once).
I was disappointed to see that the great t shirts for £12.90 are no longer on offer but a slightly inferior t shirt is available for £20.

#99 2023-02-05 04:21:05

Staxfan

Robbie- in my Uniqlo trip in Penang I bought 2 oversized t’s, they’re not really oversized just loose, elbow length sleeves,ideal for hols with the chest pocket for sunglasses and beer tokens, limited colours though, I got white and grey, the green & yellow were odd shades,

#100 2023-02-05 04:43:34

RobbieB

I saw those chest pocket Ts Stax. Nearly bought a couple but the missus distracted me.

Board footer