You are not logged in.

#326 2016-06-30 20:58:36

stanshall

Re: Surf Ivy/ The west coast look

Last edited by stanshall (2016-07-01 17:21:05)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#327 2016-07-01 15:48:23

Chipper

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-01 15:51:04)

#328 2016-07-01 16:29:43

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#329 2016-07-01 16:51:43

Chipper

Now SHE has got it right. Nice.

#330 2016-07-02 12:04:08

Chipper

Just fyi, and for bragging rights, if anyone is looking for a great lightweight windbreaker for poolside, beach, or just bumming around, I enthusiastically recommend the competition jacket from Birdwell. Mine arrived today, and it's my new favorite jacket. It is awesome.

#331 2016-07-02 12:06:02

Berkeley_Breathes

Chipper, great news. And timely... I'm planning on getting one in a week or so, when I get the spare cash. What color did you pick up? How was the sizing?

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#332 2016-07-02 12:12:18

Chipper

I chose the navy with white and blue stripes and the pocket on the sleeve. I thought it was very distinctive.

I think the sizing is true, i.e., buy what you think is your normal or usual size. I'm usually an L in alpha sizing or 42-44 numerically, and the L I purchased is spot on. The web page calls it trim fitting, and to order up if you prefer a looser fit, but I don't find it overly trim at all.

BTW, there is a very helpful sizing chart on the site that gives garment measurements for chest, waist, and length.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-02 12:14:29)

#333 2016-07-02 12:16:38

Berkeley_Breathes

#334 2016-07-02 12:22:59

Chipper

I have the same issue. I have trouble with "trim" fits, even though, like you, I'm not all that big. I'm just not fashion model rail thin, and I like to feel like I can breathe in what I wear. Mine has a fairly trim looking profile, if you know what I mean, but it doesn't feel that way.

I keep editing this as I think about other great details. One--nice deep side pockets, ones I can stuff my whole hand into comfortably. Two--deep inside pockets that look they could hold a lot of stuff. Made in the U.S. of A, of course--always cool to have that.

BTW, this company gets all the details right. The packaging itself is a work of art. My jacket came in a cool Birdwell box, and the jacket was wrapped in nice paper with a "birdie" sticker sealing it. I'm a sucker for cool packaging details.

Let me know about yours when you get it.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-02 12:31:43)

#335 2016-07-02 12:27:23

Berkeley_Breathes

Oh man, same. Looking forward to it!And I hear you about the trim fit - I find too many jackets like that puff out in the back or flop out in the front and ruin the silhouette I actually have without the jacket on... Stop telling me about this, you're making it harder and harder to wait for the cash to buy my own!! haha...

Someday I'll buy new trunks from them, too, once my vintage ones fall apart.

#336 2016-07-02 12:28:56

Chipper

Sorry, man. Yeah, I wish I had the coin to buy more of their stuff. This purchase felt a bit indulgent, but of course, I found the justifications easy to come by. 1) I really need a new jacket (no, really, honey, I do). 2) It's a lifetime purchase--I'll wear this for years to come.

Anyway, good to know these guys are still around.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-02 12:31:02)

#337 2016-07-02 21:04:37

Chipper

I broke the jacket in via a 4-hour visit to the jazz fest this afternoon/evening. Perfect weather for both the fest and the jacket, as sky remained overcast and the temps never climbed past 68 or so. I didn't notice any looks of disgust from my fellow fest goers, and I never felt self-conscious or uncomfortable, so the jacket wins.

I shook hands with a notable jazz trumpet player.

On a side note, I picked up an LP copy of Ornette Coleman's THIS IS OUR MUSIC... in beautiful translucent red vinyl!

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-02 21:06:01)

#338 2016-07-03 13:04:18

Chipper

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-03 13:08:06)

#339 2016-07-03 21:54:36

Berkeley_Breathes

Chipper - who was the trumpeter? I worked as a jazz critic for a few years and my jazz library currently sits at about 1500 albums; I bet I know of him, at least.

I'll definitely let you know about my competition jacket when I get it. Love the details you've been providing. I was already excited about the jacket in the abstract, but now I have specifics to look forward to!

#340 2016-07-03 22:17:34

Chipper

What color are you getting? (BTW, just noticed I mis-typed above--I bought the navy with white and red stripes, not white and blue.)

Trumpeter is Marquis Hill. Unknown to me until this weekend. Mellow but also solidly in the bop tradition. He claims Donald Byrd as an influence, and I can hear that--to my taste, it is almost too soul-jazz but I'll give him a pass for putting on a good show here. wink Very cool guy, in person.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-03 22:24:38)

#341 2016-07-05 13:49:33

Berkeley_Breathes

Chipper, I'm planning on getting the Federal Blue/White. Love the look of the navy but want something lighter... Both of my vintage Birdwell britches are a bright red with lighter blue stripes, so I wanted to complement them. I'll definitely post pics when I get it, but it may not be for a while  - I'm currently taking some summer college classes with no mail service, so I'm having to send all my packages to my permanent address in another state, and won't be getting them (in all likelihood) until the first week of August...

#342 2016-07-05 13:56:36

Chipper

Very strong choice, the federal blue. I considered that one, but I have trunks in light green and federal blue, so, like you, I needed some contrast. And while I'm not sure how cool this is, I do intend to wear it also as a jacket with whatever, jeans, chinos, etc., and I thought the navy was a good color for that kind of wear as well. Keep me posted.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-05 13:58:23)

#343 2016-07-05 14:05:56

Berkeley_Breathes

I think you're right about the navy, man, it's a strong choice for sure. I'm definitely planning to wear mine with chinos and wheat jeans too... White Keds...

#344 2016-07-05 16:15:18

stanshall

/\  dudes those surf jackets are cool, just watch out for snagging them on stuff and keep them away from cats ... especially Miki da Cat ....

spent the past four days in my oxford cloth Birdwells with two-inch waistband, double rear pockets, side pockets, 18-inch mid-length, not shorties  ...

I have three custom pairs from before the sale of the company, I'd like another custom pair, going to see what they can do, I had a nice conversation with someone there a couple of weeks ago but I have a couple more questions ....

just saw a pic of Dennis Wilson wearing his Surf Ohio t-shirt, a waterman can wear his wetwear anywhere he chooses, enjoy the pool in summer, at least there are no jellyfish larvae there, probably .....?  maybe a Baby Ruth but no shark ....

not saying the beach isn't the place, but the pond has always been good for me, too ....

actually I just couldn't deal with beach traffic, parking, getting sandy this past weekend, I just hung out at the bottom of the pool spacing out and looking up at the palm trees as if through a fish-eye lens, you know, that old chestnut .....

congrats on the surfness, nice colors, and thanks for the details on the nice packaging etc. from Birdwell, nice to know.  stuff used to come very plainly wrapped haha but was in fact cheaper, Chipper ... but what are you gonna do .....?

Last edited by stanshall (2016-07-05 21:39:58)

#345 2016-07-05 16:18:33

stanshall

#346 2016-07-05 16:53:00

Chipper

EDIT: Oxford-cloth Birdwells! Now that sounds nice.

Your past 4 days sound ideal to me, stanshall. I spent part of mine at the downtown jazz fest. Perfect weather this year! Unlike the usual 90-plus F temps we get for this event, the whole weekend never got past around 72.  Some good music, a little good beer, ran into some old acquaintances and friends, and wore my Birdwell jacket proudly.

The rest of the weekend I spent dozing to records on the turntable. I can't tell you what an effort it was to rise this morning, put on chinos and a shirt, and walk to the office.

"actually I just couldn't deal with beach traffic, parking, getting sandy this past weekend, I just hung out at the bottom of the pool spacing out and looking up at the palm trees as if through a fish-eye lens, you know, that old chestnut ....."

Ah, yes, I know it well. My summer swimming plans suffered a crimp due to a mild illness last week, but I'm hoping to get back into it this weekend. I often split my time at the outdoor pool doing laps (when there's room in the lap-lane section), chilling in the shallow end, and spread out on a pool chair reading or just people watching. Something about a good outdoor municipal pool is still home for me.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-05 16:56:12)

#347 2016-07-05 16:57:45

Berkeley_Breathes

#348 2016-07-05 17:02:43

Chipper

Ha ha. Yeah. I remember it did one fourth of July back in my college daze. You literally could not move more than a foot in any direction. I avoid that scene these days. Best hours this time of summer are between 4 and 7 pm. Still warm, still light, but all the kids are going home to their Hamburger Helper dinners. Minimized chance of sunburn, too.

Last edited by Chipper (2016-07-05 17:03:35)

#349 2016-07-05 17:07:30

Chipper

#350 2016-07-05 23:32:34

stanshall

Board footer