You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-18 11:34:00

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Capital ivy in Spain

I'm off to Madrid for a few days with Mrs Woof so I want to know:

Was 'Madrid ivy' ever distinct from ivy in the rest of Spain?
Would Spanish ivyists look to London or New York for inspiration?
Where can I wear Weejuns in Madrid and feel at ease?
What ivy clothiers are to be found in Madrid - is there, for example, a Spanish clone of The Ivy Shop?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2015-05-18 12:19:40

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re: Capital ivy in Spain

Juan Simonenz ?

Interesting that the original Spanish Ivynistadors married a love of the look with 1950s Flamenco.

Madrid was where it all happened obviously as all those Catalan and Basque plebs didn't have a clue.

They claim proto-Ivy was worn aboard the Santa Maria in 1492.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#3 2015-05-18 13:42:45

Harpo
The Best In The West

There's great loafers all over the place in Madrid. I've still got a pair in a Sebago style that I bought there years ago, great quality and very reasonable. I recommend the shoe shops - lots of cordovan available too.

Randy lower-class trifler

#4 2015-05-18 13:43:37

Acton_Baby

There's a couple of shops that might be of interest

Man1924 a bit pricey but nice stuff - http://www.man1924.com/
Cortefiel is good for budget knitwear and shoes - http://cortefiel.com/en
Just One stocks loads of US labels but is proper 'nosebleed' pricing - https://www.facebook.com/tiendaJustOne

Loads of shoe shops about so worth browsing.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#5 2015-05-18 13:49:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Acton - I can always rely on you thanks.

That Man 24 must be the real deal, they've got a picture of Bruce Boyer on their site!

John Simons

#6 2015-05-18 14:09:30

Bop

#7 2015-05-18 14:30:49

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#8 2015-05-18 15:05:47

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#9 2015-05-18 15:47:02

stanshall

I have heard there are a couple of very hip Ivy cats in Spain .... one is known as Bolivar and the other goes by the nickname El Hombre Preocupado ....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#10 2015-05-19 03:42:05

Sal
Ivyist At Large

Get yourself that i-gent favourite the Teba jacket:

http://www.thetweedpig.com/2013/07/condensed-madrid-3-salamanca-square.html

#11 2015-05-19 03:47:32

Acrilan-Man

Woof - you're a bit behind on your knowledge of 'Ivy Espanol'. The Ivy movement was banned under Franco as he viewed it as "a foreign, deviant, homosexual way of dressing, at odds with the noble values of our proud and devout Catholic people" (as he said in a famous speech he made in 1962, at the height of global Ivy-mania). So the scene very much flourished around Catalonia where all dissenting voices tended to flock, away from the gaze of the Generalissimo. Indeed it was the visit of Esquire magazine's esteemed writer and fashion plate George Frazier to the charming fishing village of Sitges in 1959 that started the espadrille craze which swept Ivy campuses in the summers of 1960 and 61. Sitting at the Quayside one beautiful morning, while sipping his cafe con leche and absentmindedly flicking through his New York Herald Tribune, he spotted a group of fresh young Catalan men, bedecked in what George later christened 'The Sp-ivy Look' : madras cotton candy stripe half sleeves, close-fitting chambray shorts, and, most startlingly of all, the humble espadrille. So moved was George by this vision, and what he perceived as a new Mediterranean direction in the natural shoulder look, that he found a basic supply store in the village and bought their entire stock of espadrilles for the price of a pair of socks in Brooks Brothers back home. Thus Catalonia established itself as the spiritual Iberian home of the Spivy Look. Madrid was for the squares daddio!

#12 2015-05-19 04:09:10

Bop

#13 2015-05-19 04:11:16

Tommy

#14 2015-05-20 04:03:40

subliminal kid

There is no such thing as Madrid Ivy or Spanish Ivy. Ivy doesn't exist in Spain as far as I know. What you might find is Ivy-ish items from well-known global brands but then again so would you in any European capital.

#15 2015-05-20 05:06:59

Harpo
The Best In The West

Wooosh!!!!

Randy lower-class trifler

#16 2015-05-20 09:25:53

Yuca

There's at least one poster here who lives in Spain, so Spanish ivy isn't completely nonexistent. There's also a 60s mod scene in Spain, which can easily eventually result in people progressing into ivy, so it may grow. (I have seen photos of one of their nights, and there were some nice looking, nicely-dressed señoritas present.)

Also I have been threatening to move over there for many years (although as Bobby Byrd so accurately pointed out: saying it and doing it are 2 different things).

Last edited by Yuca (2015-05-20 09:30:41)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#17 2015-05-20 15:44:07

subliminal kid

#18 2015-05-20 16:11:22

Charlie Kasso

Teba jacket originally created on Saville Row in case anyone's interested...http://www.apetogentleman.com/2014/10/23/last-england/

according to here anyway .

I could wear one quite happily I think.

Last edited by Charlie Kasso (2015-05-20 16:14:17)

#19 2015-05-22 01:58:24

Kemper Boyd

I'm spanish living in Madrid (so sorry about my poor english) and agree with Subliminal kid and Yuca. I think only the mod scene really knows Ivy in Madrid (for example http://hipocondriamods.mforos.com/1035584/10433440-estilo-ivy-league/). However penny loafers and button-down shirts (sometimes ugly) are really popular in Spain since 60s.

You can find cheap loafers in lot of shops actually, but I can recommend http://zapatoscastellano.com/en/ and http://www.bravojava.net/en/. And, of course, pricey Carmina http://www.carminashoemaker.com/men-shoes.

#20 2015-05-22 09:51:52

Yuca

¡Bienvenidos al foro amigo! Tu inglés es bueno.

#21 2015-05-22 11:27:25

stanshall

I had friends from Spain in college, they wore strict Ivy, maybe even more hidebound than many of the guys from boarding school, but they were in Connecticut by then and may have adjusted their garb to fit in better, but they were preppy as hell and there remains a style known as Europrep that incorporates Ivy to a degree but unfortunately is still obsessed with driving moccasins ......

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#22 2015-05-22 16:32:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Having just returned from Madrid I can say that there has been ivy there, if only for the last three days.

I was really quite impressed, there were a lot of well dressed men around, mainly of a certain age it has to be said. Natural shoulders, button downs, no break trousers, loafers, lots of the stuff we like - Continental ivy?

John Simons

#23 2015-05-23 02:29:21

Yuca

I have mentioned a lot of times that in 50s and 60s French and Italian films, despite a lack of soft collars, sack jackets, longwings etc etc, the standard look is very stylish and closely related to ivy - high rise no break pleatless trousers, natural or similar shoulders, beautiful knitwear, and loads of other things that show the continental look to be an equally stylish and equally versatile cousin of classic ivy. I'm sure at that time Spanish men were wearing pretty much the same looks.

Of course that was half a century ago, so it's good to know that the look has survived/been revived.

One thing the continent couldn't compete on though was shirts - I rewatched Plein Soleil last night and when Delon wears what is undoubtedly a Brooks BD at the beginning of the film, no other shirts can compete. He's without jacket or sweater most of the time too, so we really get a proper look at a 59 Brooks BD in all its beauty.

#24 2015-05-23 02:59:27

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#25 2015-05-23 03:30:05

Yuca

Half of Madrid lives in my city at present, due to the recession, however it's the younger half. I've met or at least seen a lot of them (due to various reasons) and I've not noticed even one of the chicos (mostly in their twenties) with any sort of interest in what I consider decent kit, although as a whole they are probably more clean cut than UK males. The chicas generally speaking look a hell of a lot more appealing than the UK equivalent (in terms of looks; health; lack of beer gut and tats; style; and effort made over appearance).

Board footer