You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-18 06:10:15

formby1

The DB Chalkstripe...

What does it say, to YOU....?

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#2 2015-06-18 06:46:39

doghouse

Re: The DB Chalkstripe...

Classic.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#3 2015-06-18 06:51:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

A classic look, but too much at the mercy of fashion.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2015-06-18 07:35:49

doghouse

4F Hepcat wrote:

A classic look, but too much at the mercy of fashion.

I've always felt that a grey flannel DB chalk in the winter is good no matter what the whims of fashion.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#5 2015-06-18 08:27:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Likely it is a UK and continental thing, but from my perspective the DB and especially in chalkstripe is very much and in or out thing.

#6 2015-06-18 09:10:42

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Fashion is a Western European creation. Without fashion, you have no movement in clothing and without movement in clothing, you cannot produce the so called "classics". Compared to what most of the world has worn for most of civilization, the suit is very much a fashion item.

It's interesting concerning plainness and variety in mens clothing. it seems like during the eighties and nineties, a lot of choice disappeared for men in terms of texture/patter/color/cut/details and what was left (Perhaps a result of manufacturing ease desired by the clothing industry) became "Classics".

Heres a picture of Don Knotts in a pin dot print shirt. A shirt that is enjoying a revival now but wouldve been considered outre just a few years ago.

http://popculturesafari.blogspot.com/20 … notts.html

Anyway, in the USA a double breasted chalk stripe is in no way a classic. It would be considered a very stuffy, fancy suit. I like the look personally but it is overkill and one would find people so overly interested in the style that it would fall from grace from the Classics Cloud. Part of what men mean when they describe an article of clothing to be a classic seems to be that it's well done but unremarkable and completely defensible (In the sense that no one can find fault with it).

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#7 2015-06-18 09:30:45

formby1

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Fashion is a Western European creation. Without fashion, you have no movement in clothing and without movement in clothing, you cannot produce the so called "classics". Compared to what most of the world has worn for most of civilization, the suit is very much a fashion item.

It's interesting concerning plainness and variety in mens clothing. it seems like during the eighties and nineties, a lot of choice disappeared for men in terms of texture/patter/color/cut/details and what was left (Perhaps a result of manufacturing ease desired by the clothing industry) became "Classics".

Heres a picture of Don Knotts in a pin dot print shirt. A shirt that is enjoying a revival now but wouldve been considered outre just a few years ago.

http://popculturesafari.blogspot.com/20 … notts.html

Anyway, in the USA a double breasted chalk stripe is in no way a classic. It would be considered a very stuffy, fancy suit. I like the look personally but it is overkill and one would find people so overly interested in the style that it would fall from grace from the Classics Cloud. Part of what men mean when they describe an article of clothing to be a classic seems to be that it's well done but unremarkable and completely defensible (In the sense that no one can find fault with it).

Interesting, I thought you wore them often? Have you put yours in semi-retirement?

...I'm about to re-introduce them to Britain...wink

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#8 2015-06-18 09:54:49

Worried Man

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Anyway, in the USA a double breasted chalk stripe is in no way a classic. It would be considered a very stuffy, fancy suit.

This.  And I rarely ever see it, much less actually worn well.  It can be a good suit, but I just never see it worn by anyone that seems to have any semblance of a clue.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#9 2015-06-18 10:00:37

doghouse

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I certainly would agree that most of the US wouldn't see it as classic, but I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been to London and not seen a few DB flannel chalks, and I'm not being hyperbolic. I wouldn't consider the use of classic as you've described above, but I certainly see that quite often on the interwebs. I generally think ubiquitous combined with longevity and a certain level of refinement is what defines classic to me.

formby1 wrote:

See above.

#10 2015-06-18 10:21:24

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

This to me is the quintessential DB dilemma:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/1439_images.jpg

Looks absolutely classical, refined and urbane, and yet it is still a silhouette that encapsulates the 1940s and brief six-month periods of the 1980s.

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2015-06-18 10:23:53)

#11 2015-06-18 12:49:13

doghouse

Gotta relax them shoulders man.

#12 2015-06-18 12:52:01

Bop

4F Hepcat wrote:

This to me is the quintessential DB dilemma:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … images.jpg

Looks absolutely classical, refined and urbane, and yet it is still a silhouette that encapsulates the 1940s and brief six-month periods of the 1980s.

Is that Grace Jones'?

#13 2015-06-18 13:04:53

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#14 2015-06-18 13:07:26

Bop

Thinks she's James Brown at the beginning there

#15 2015-06-18 21:05:48

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

doghouse wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I certainly would agree that most of the US wouldn't see it as classic, but I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been to London and not seen a few DB flannel chalks, and I'm not being hyperbolic. I wouldn't consider the use of classic as you've described above, but I certainly see that quite often on the interwebs. I generally think ubiquitous combined with longevity and a certain level of refinement is what defines classic to me.

formby1 wrote:

See above.

I think one of the problems the DB suit suffers from in the USA, is that it is rarely available RTW, which means the younger guys dont wear it, which means if you're wearing it, you're an older man. Not a problem but in a youth oriented culture, the button stance is avoided. Its an instance where a nice look and quality can get you a reaction you may not want.

I own several DB chalkstripe suits.

#16 2015-06-19 07:56:02

doghouse

You are probably on to something there. The US obsession with youth manifests itself in many ways.

#17 2015-06-19 13:04:46

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Very English correct attire. I like it. I saw a picture of an Italian bloke in a sloppy soft shouldered one the other day, with peak lapels that lost the biz impact. I liked that as well.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#18 2015-06-19 14:08:13

Joey

If I had an appropriately formal occasion, I'd wear one kind of like Miles's:
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/8930_miles_davis_double_breasted1.jpg

But the vast majority of the time, they certainly are overkill in the US. I wouldn't get a lot of wear out of one, in no small part because I would look even more out-of-place than in my usual getup.

However, the DB might experience a resurgence in popularity with the recent movie "Kingsman: The Secret Service." It was released alongside a line of clothes inspired by the film at Mr. Porter, including some pinstripe DB suits which are prominently featured in the film.
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/8930_da49b289-71bc-407c-a6d1-ed581e3992fe-620x372.jpeg

"Kingsman" already has a "Mad Men" effect on fashion-fickle #menswear types, and this effect might soon trickle into the general public (even in America, where the film has been successful).

Here's the collection:
http://www.mrporter.com/mens/designers/kingsman

Last edited by Joey (2015-06-19 14:09:37)

#19 2015-06-19 14:17:22

Worried Man

That mrporter site has some of the most expensive RTW clothing I think I've ever seen.  $630 for slim fit corduroy fashion pants?!!  Washed cotton blend chinos $480!  Wool trousers $890?  Cotton blend "biker" trousers $895?  HA!  I must be in the wrong line of work.  These track pants, for a mere $945 really must take the cake however.
http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/loro … nts/197165

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#20 2015-06-19 14:22:07

Joey

The latest trend I'm aware of has been white sneakers. Everybody who's anybody has them and they have to be from this one brand or you don't get to be in the fashionista club. Don't remember the name but I think the price tag is about $500. Reasonable for shell cordovan, not so much for canvas.

Last edited by Joey (2015-06-19 15:02:50)

#21 2015-06-19 14:32:32

formby1

Anybody who wears trainers with a suit warrants a severe beating...

...OK, a clip 'round the ol' ear 'ole at least...!!!

Souvent me Souvient

#22 2015-06-19 14:54:39

doghouse

Worried Man wrote:

That mrporter site has some of the most expensive RTW clothing I think I've ever seen.  $630 for slim fit corduroy fashion pants?!!  Washed cotton blend chinos $480!  Wool trousers $890?  Cotton blend "biker" trousers $895?  HA!  I must be in the wrong line of work.  These track pants, for a mere $945 really must take the cake however.
http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/loro … nts/197165

They are absurd generally, but the sales are pretty decent.

#23 2015-06-19 15:07:39

formby1

How would we 'rock' the DB chalkie... Shirts, ties &c....?

Last edited by formby1 (2015-06-19 17:54:22)

Souvent me Souvient

#24 2015-06-19 17:49:06

carpu65

Di Preta.
A great Florentine tailor.

http://s2.postimg.org/60v3tjme1/sartdipreta2.jpg

http://s18.postimg.org/c5lbprhuh/sartdipreta14.jpg

#25 2015-06-19 19:50:31

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

formby1 wrote:

How would we 'rock' the DB chalkie... Shirts, ties &c....?

A white shirt is always good, however I always feel a stronger color or pattern is a better counterbalance to a strongly striped suit.

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/all … -nne-coral

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/all … re-gac-red

http://www.acornfabrics.com/fabrics/all … ing-ap-red

And then I would drop a Duchamp or VanBuck tie from their Limited edition ranges on top, but thats just me.

http://www.vanbuck.com/index.php/limite … es/?k=:2::

Board footer