You are not logged in.

#76 2016-04-20 04:19:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Mad Men Auction

I'm halfway through Season 6 now and other than the increasingly garrishness of the interiors it's starting to wear a bit thin on me.

Draper's character is increasingly vacuous: he has a bit of an affair and wanders through the office in an alcohol haze and then comes up with some kernel of a commercial and eveyone say's what a genius he is as he stares out all boyishly as the commercial is projected in his mind with his narrative guide for blind people. His missus can't act, literally, not only in the day time soap she's in, in Mad Men too! The Christina Hendricks silhouette gets ever more exagerrated and cartoon like. The Ginsberg, beatnik and proto-hippy types are like sixth form students. And Peggy, oh dear.

The only characters of real interest are Peter Campbell and Roger Sterling. And they're not in nearly enough.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#77 2016-04-20 04:27:34

Chief Brody

It fairly nose-dived, alright. After Season 4 there's very little to recommend it. The "actress" playing his wife is dreadful. Julia Ormond on the other hand , demonstrates what talent can do with a small role.

The Ginsberg storyline is a joke. I felt robbed by that, actually. They set up a decent character that went…nowhere!

#78 2016-04-20 04:59:09

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Aye, the best thing that can be said about Draper's wife is that she induces a sensation close to hearing the sound of nails screetching on a black board. She grates in every way - physically, when she smiles and when she opens her gob to say something. She must have been doing something pretty spectacular with someone to get that role. Allegedly I might add. Perhaps if they had gone through with the swinging couple who wanted to get it on with her and Draper I would have liked her more. A lesbian relationship with that older woman and her could work on screen. But perhaps only on Redtube.

Oh yes, Julia Ormond is quite wonderful, they could and should have developed the interplay between her and Sterling much more.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#79 2016-04-20 05:03:00

Chief Brody

Yes, a lot of great set-ups just wasted.

#80 2016-04-20 06:04:05

Tommy

I enjoyed the first 3 series the most, in that even though it was flawed dramatically and in costume, it captured the era that interests me most. I've gotta be honest if I had January Jones at home, other than Christina Hendriks I'm not sure my eyes would wonder much.

#81 2016-04-20 11:23:38

plastic palm tree

The Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto has a pair of 'on Drapers' '1960s Florsheim shoes' which are black chisel-toed monstrosities of the 2000s.  I left a scathing complaint in the suggestion box.

#82 2016-04-20 13:21:18

Tommy

#83 2016-04-20 13:58:22

Martyn

Ken Cosgrove and his tiny collars.

#84 2016-04-20 14:08:22

Bop

I feel like there was some decent casual wear in the last series..and the second half of the season was decent with a good ending

#85 2016-04-20 16:54:47

Tommy

I don't have a TV and haven't for probably 12 years or more so I'm very fussy about what I watch and Jon Hamm was a believable Sociopath and abuse victim, in constant discomfort and fear about his actual real background being exposed. Several of the other characters where very believable and watchable.

The Astronauts Wives club actually probably had a more realistic wardrobe, but was like is the producers of Baywatch had been asked to make a sex in the city with extra soap opera flakes thrown into the machine. Almost unwatchable apart from some fine looking women in their.

Board footer