You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

#1 2015-08-25 14:03:07

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

(url=)http://www.ivy-style.com/bled-dry-new-david-wood-bleeding-madras-shirts-sell-out-instantly.html#comment-1404307(url/)

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#2 2015-08-25 15:29:55

Sidewinder

Re: Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

It's bullshit really. There has been loads of bleeding madras around. RL have had authentic bleeding madras in their catalogues for the last five years. BB too. This dude has got hold of some handwoven stuff, basically 'organic' madras and is selling it for a premium.

#3 2015-08-25 15:48:24

Tomiskinky

Has authentic bleeding madras been around?

I thought not and certainly not seen it anywhere, was the link in the story of the fabric producer not posted on here a while back?

#4 2015-08-25 16:05:08

Sidewinder

#5 2015-08-25 20:18:19

chatsworth osborne jr.

The real deal is hand-loomed and has non-AZO dyes!  Read the link, y'all!

Last edited by chatsworth osborne jr. (2015-08-25 20:19:32)

#6 2015-08-25 22:56:09

aucociscokid2

Copied-and-pasted from Ivy Style: Brooks Bros. shirts do not “bleed.” They do not want shirts that “bleed.” They do not want ones which do. Claims to the contrary notwithstanding.

From the c. 1967 > (until we started producing ours)there were only 2 types of madras in commercial production in India:

1. Autoloomed, using porcine or VAT dyes which do not “bleed.”
2. Auto (or handloomed using an agent) and handloomed using vegetable dyes. Vegetable dyes “bleed” only 2x-3x, then stop. Brooks/Black Fleece which doesn’t “bleed,” nor is handloomed is/was $195 at full retail.

Neither is what was popular in The Sixties, nor can be considered “authentic.” IMHO: Neither is very good, either.

“I think we have to pass on the bleeding madras at this time. We have a customer base that expects our products to perform and have had to replace car seats and other items due to color fastness issues. The romantic in me loves the story and your product is beautiful. However, the practical side of the business can’t manage something so unpredictable.” Glen Hoffs/Fashion Director/Brooks Bros. to AG. 4/28/2015.

R/L Won’t buy them for the same reason.

In addition: “I have joined this company in 1979 and visited almost all production unit in South India and never seen bleeding madras check weaving…Vegetable colours are using for dyeing in small quantities on organic cotton and which are very expensive and not on commercial basis.” K.SUDARSANAN,Deputy Manager (Technical)H.H.E.C. OF INDIA LIMITED to AG. 4/17/2014.

The story of the fabric producer was in fact posted here in the beginning of the year. A link to it is copied-and=pasted below. I am Loominous Bleeding Madras as well.

https://bleedingmadrasindia.wordpress.com/author/yogmatri/

#7 2015-08-25 22:59:14

Jivy

Yeah, real Madras never stops bleeding! Those other shirts don't really bleed, they just kinda fade, but they still look nice to me. If you're after 100% authenticity, after reading the comments, it looks like Mercer and Sons might start using that real bleeding fabric too. Nice!

#8 2015-08-25 23:03:53

Sidewinder

#9 2015-08-25 23:32:09

aucociscokid2

No. According to our master dyer/weaver who was active in the 1960s, vegetable dyes were not used then; popular belief to the contrary notwithstanding. Non-azo free direct dyes were, which are carcinogenic/environmentally harmful and were outlawed by most countries. This contributed to the eventual disappearance of the fabric from the marketplace. As mentioned: vegetable dyes only "bleed" a limited amount of times, more than the shirts in The Sixties did, despite their limited (6 months) life.

#10 2015-08-26 00:09:59

RobbieB

Madras, Fading Madras and Bleeding Madras. All good. There may be a tendency to fetishise  the Bleeding one.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#11 2015-08-26 01:06:28

aucociscokid2

W::ith reference to RL madras

Excerpts from a 2014 Ask Andy thread, “Bleeding Madras”:

+ I decided to test the “guaranteed to bleed” RL items a few weeks ago. I put a NWT RL Rugby shirt in a mixing bowl and filled it withnear-boiling water. I also laid a strip of paper towel halfway in the bowl to test how much dye leeched out. After letting it sit for
about and hour, I pulled the strip out and it dried to solid white.

+ Current claims of bleeding madras are extremely overstated in the items I have. Vintage (at least back in the 80’s) bled out a lot, started a little crisp with saturated colors and ended up wonderfully soft and faded. The lines don’t blend and the colors don’t bleed into each other, just out. We would soak them in salt water overnight to try to lock in the color if you didn’t want the fade. The new stuff I’ve seen has only a passing resemblance to the old stuff.

N.B.Our Loominous “bleeding” madras “bleeds” a lot. The lines and colors “bleed” into each other. RL, BB, the dyes “bleed” out.

#12 2015-08-26 01:43:22

Sidewinder

Hmmm…
Not actually sure I want the colours and pattern to bleed into one another. Every vintage (washed) madras I've seen looks like the RL stuff posted above but much more faded. Can't say I've ever come across one that has all mixed in together.
Why don't you post some pics of the experiments you say you've done, show us what this super-madras looks like after a wash? How does it hold it's size, any shrinkage?

#13 2015-08-26 02:52:09

aucociscokid2

In the 1960s, the authentic stuff, the colors blended. J. Pizzuto, Fabric Science, pp. 176. According to an independent, Indian gov't textile lab, the shrinkage is minimal. <1%. The fabric - as part of the dyeing process - is soaked in water for 24 hrs. There's a picture of what it looks like after a wash on Ivy Style.

http://www.ivy-style.com/bled-dry-new-david-wood-bleeding-madras-shirts-sell-out-instantly.html

David Hodgkins/David Wood in Portland, ME, who's old enough to remember the authentic stuff, i.e. was available in The Sixties. He sold out of his - the 1st time the authentic stuff has been available in 45+ years - instantly. No advertising. Ivy Style, supra.

#14 2015-08-26 02:56:21

Sidewinder

What picture after a wash? Nothing on the IS site that looks like it has 'bled'?

#15 2015-08-27 04:29:30

katon

#16 2015-08-27 04:37:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#17 2015-08-27 04:41:43

Tomiskinky

I have a good friend who is indian, his family looked into sourcing it for me whilst I was working with H on the Fizzy project, alas it came to nothing - they knew the history but found that it was impossible to find the fabric for all the reasons listed above.

At one point they thought they had a lead on some rolls in a warehouse but it never seemed to turn up, so in the end I stopped chasing it. Shame as though I didn't tell H at the time, I was getting pretty excited that if it came off he would have some amazing vintage fabric.

#18 2015-08-27 05:04:01

katon

#19 2015-08-27 05:55:59

Yuca

So the good quality madras from back in the day e.g. as used in a 60s Brooks shirt - did it last as long as e.g. Oxford or broadcloth?

Not that I'd wear madras beyond the summer months, but according to IS the Mercers might be getting some of the cloth they're referring to, in which case I'd be very tempted, but not if it has a short lifespan.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#20 2015-08-27 07:53:13

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2015-08-27 07:55:31)

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#21 2015-08-27 08:13:13

Worried Man

Hey man, I mean, what else would they be doing?  They're fortunate to just have something to pass the time.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#22 2015-08-27 08:30:15

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Clearly you've never studied the art of Wamba-Samba that teaches fairness, balance, charity and how to avoid child labour in the clothing industry.

http://www.childlineindia.org.in/child-labour-india.htm

#23 2015-08-27 08:39:13

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#24 2015-08-27 10:40:57

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Those who have actually travelled to India, particularly on business and not as deluded hippy travellers, come to the same conclusion, behind the clever marketing spin, the great knowledge export and TATA industries: it is a caste ridden hell hole with levels of crushing poverty almost unbelievable to be imagined. And this coming from someone who has seen the dirty, grotty, glue sniffing horror of the poverty in Brazil.

I watch those CNN India Tiger adverts and quietly laugh, in a cynical sneer.

The only reason there's no bleeding madras being produced in India, is because there's no market for it. Labour costs for slave castes are almost nothing. The biggest cost will be in transporting the goods across the third-world infrastructure that is the Indian sub-continent.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#25 2015-08-27 12:06:48

Bop

Last edited by Bop (2015-08-27 12:08:27)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

Board footer