You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

#51 2015-08-28 16:48:04

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re: Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

I felt that too WM, he is such a bitch when he has had a drink.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#52 2015-08-28 17:23:21

oxford cloth button down

Hahaha. You made laugh AC, as did you Jeff. I did use stiff words, but we have better things to argue about like Madras dyes, button placement, and shoulder pitch all things where there is a chance of seeing eye to eye.

Last edited by oxford cloth button down (2015-08-28 17:23:47)

#53 2015-08-29 01:15:47

Bop

Describing the IMF as not being loan sharks is the real joke. Good one Formby..you crack me up.

#54 2015-08-29 01:44:06

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

You'll soon be getting a good dose of the IMF when Corbyn & his henchmen take power!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#55 2015-08-29 03:36:24

Leer R.

Interesting dicussions. I thought this is a clothing forum? Just for your information: many of the leather shoes you all are wearing are tanned in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka under HORRIBLE circumstances (execpt vintage shoes, Horween leather shoes and SOME FEW Italian - from Tuscany for instance - tanned leathers) reardless of where they were made. Child labour, modern slavery and the likes are a problem of course. But I doubt we can change that. There is no guarantee that something you buy new that is made in the western world is free from all that - that Madras cloth is a good example. Even if you have your shirts made at a local tailor you'd never know where he gets the cloth, and WHO IS sewing them. One of the best Viennese shirtmakers has them all made in Hungary... by hand. But sewn by poor Hungarians (not children of course).

And the IMF isn't more of a loan shark than your average bank. I suppose to avoid loan sharks we should put our money under our pillows, right? There is a bit too much conspiracy theory, although there is probably some true core in all that, too... but... yeah.

#56 2015-08-29 03:45:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Crockett & Jones source their leather from Europe and not India.

#57 2015-08-29 03:48:45

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#58 2015-08-29 03:51:26

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#59 2015-08-29 03:52:12

Leer R.

You know the tanneries? If they are Italian... 80% of them abuse poor Africans and Chinese workers. smile

They don't claim their source, right? They don't even use Rendenbach soles.

P.S. Apart from that C&J are pretty high quality.

Last edited by Leer R. (2015-08-29 04:21:50)

#60 2015-08-29 08:05:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#61 2015-08-29 10:32:03

Leer R.

Well... Different story wink

#62 2015-08-29 11:09:51

Tomiskinky

There used to be a tannery in my village, I often wonder were the hides they produced went to and for what purpose. Might have a google to see if I can find out.

#63 2015-08-29 11:40:29

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#64 2015-08-29 23:23:30

Leer R.

Na, no link. Information is from a guy that used to have a belt fabrication and a leather goods shop here in Vienna... Sourced his leather mostly from Italy. So no evidence. But was interesting and seemed to be reliable information.

Well, Lobb and C&J surely get their leathers from Italy as Italian leather is probably the highest quality around... But I doubt Loake or Grenson for example get theirs from Europe or the US... and most Italian middle ground fabricators wink

#65 2015-08-30 03:54:28

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Loake have an operation in Chennai and some of the stitching is actually done in here, there is some debate that because of this, they shouldn't qualify as English made shoes. This does explain in part, why they are significantly cheaper than other English shoemakers. I've never owned Loake's so I am in no position to testify on their quality and comparison with other shoemakers. But I do tend to agree that if a significant portion of the manufacturing, as opposed to the supply of raw material, is in India, then the shoes should not qualify as English made.

#66 2015-08-30 08:38:54

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#67 2015-08-30 11:50:03

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#68 2015-08-30 12:12:13

Leer R.

Oh, Lord. "Made in Italy" is the biggest betrayal on earth. The Italians are the biggest deceivers in the whole wide world when it comes to "Made in Italy"... don't you think some poor Chinese and Afros can't work well in some old tanneries? They can be very skilled, think of spanish leather goods - there it is the same... but with mostly Northern Africans...

I know that some Italian leather fabrications only put their logo and the strap on the bag in Italy to say it is "made in Italy". Rest comes from China or wherever. The wife of my boss has such a bag. Bought in Italy with the tag on it... two years later they saw the same bag but cheaper on a Vietnamese market...

Well, The Bridge bags probably not...

That said I LOVE Italy and Italian leather goods...

#69 2015-08-31 13:37:19

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

The aim of this representativeness study is to identify the respective national and supranational actors (i.e. trade unions and employer organisations) in the field of industrial relations in the tanning and leather sector in Italy. In order to determine their relative importance in the sector’s industrial relations, this study will, in particular, focus on their representational quality as well as on their role in collective bargaining.

Just seems a bit doubtful that the findings would be so positive in an industry that is made up of small workforce companies if it were flooded with cheap foreign labour and had bad working conditions and pay. Not that I'm bothered really, just showing the findings of EurWork. It studies the whole of the EU and Norway.

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/european-observatory-of-working-life-eurwork/about-eurwork

#70 2015-09-01 00:55:03

Bop

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-01 01:10:05)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Ivy Style : A Bleeding Madras renaissance ?

Board footer