You are not logged in.

#51 2015-09-16 07:54:02

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: The Jeremy Corbyn sartorial thread

Nicely summed up Kingy, democracy will not work without an effective opposition and maybe we saw the start of that in Prime Minister’s questions today.

The Conservative party is liable to go the way of the Church of England, it’s natural support base is gradually dying off. The baby boomers and their offspring who have enjoyed stable employment, reasonable wages, good pensions and who have benefited from large increases in the value of their property are natural Tory voters. However they are being replaced by growing numbers of young people who find themselves starting out in an uncertain world like the one Bop is talking about; zero hours contracts, worsening pay and conditions, saddled with student loans and with little prospect of getting on the property ladder and enjoying the things their forbears took for granted – and they are angry. This is what Corbyn is tapping into.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#52 2015-09-16 11:14:56

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#53 2015-09-16 11:19:37

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#54 2015-09-16 11:36:55

Bop

I dont feel the need to publish my memoirs here but my education and likewise career was put on hold for most of my 20s due to physical illness, I was completely unable to work for three years ...until my late 20s when after recovering I retrained up in a skilled labour job and but was then made redundant twice... and yes I did see my job and other peoples jobs go to Polish workers who worked for 2000 pounds less a year . There was nowhere that I could transfer those skills to where I lived because all the factories had closed so I took what work I could find which was in retail. Ive settled into doing what I do because currently it has offered my security and hopefully some career path to engage with, it also allows me to shop at Primark once a week. Fortunately Mrs Bop has a better position than i do. But that doesnt stop us collectively struggling with transport, food and rent costs.. I dont think there has been much shift in basic full timers pay since when I had a retail job in my late teens. Im in management so fortunately earn a bit more than that...but consider the cost of living now to when I started and to think that basic wages have stagnated and people have no security or fairness in their contracts at all.

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-16 11:39:32)

#55 2015-09-16 11:51:34

Bop

Also you the fact you feel you need to dress like someone who probably earns 10 times the amount you do in order to eacape the fact you're covered in shit most days, doesn't really strike me as you being content with your job lot... maybe you are..but by the very fact you have to shove it up everyones nose makes me think otherwise...I think with all your expenditure you're trying to over compensate..

#56 2015-09-16 11:54:12

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#57 2015-09-16 12:02:25

Bop

My brother owns an engineering company and we've talked about what there is..in his mind he has advised me against it and continue with what I currently do, which will probably see me moving next year, whether to the States to apply for my Green Card Im not sure yet..but London isnt going to be the place to start a family.

Anyway my point is even if you are carrying out a basic job you should not be at risk of being becoming homeless, jobless, due to contracts being so employer bias that you cant create any security for yourself..you should be able to eat a basic healthy diet.. I dont spend anything on luxuries everything goes on the basic cost of life I consider everything I buy and I save what I can to purchase the clothes I enjoy which fortunately are relatively cheap, I dont drink smoke or go out and thats serves me fine...

Last year when i first moved to London I did not eat more than one meal a day to afford travel and rent..Im not in that posistion now..but have you ever been in the posistion where you cant afford to eat a meal even though you are working 11 hours a day? I doubt it and thats the reality to a lot of people in this country which is why it doesnt really matter what hot air gets blown..the reality is felt by many, and a change will come.

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-16 12:06:02)

#58 2015-09-16 12:15:31

doghouse

Last edited by doghouse (2015-09-16 12:20:14)

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#59 2015-09-16 12:19:31

formby1

Last edited by formby1 (2015-09-16 12:44:29)

Souvent me Souvient

#60 2015-09-16 12:24:40

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I think its for me, because (I think) I do a humble blog (from time to time) about clothes and music. Sometimes I may write about something I've purchased or had made. I don't know if that means I shoving up everyones nose. Afterall one doesn't have to read it if one doesn't want to, does one? Now if you'll excuse me, I really need to find out what all the noise is about coming from the servants quarters. If their chicken fighting again some is going to get six of the best.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#61 2015-09-16 12:36:54

Bop

The countryside is good if you can get a job there Formby...which I do hope to at some point hence the move next year in order to start a family.

Soggs...you may want to go back and look at your posts over the last 5 years..

Like I said Im well aware why someone doing a well paid but ultimately god awful job might want to indulge themselves outside of it...but Im done with spending nearly a grand on sports jackets...ive been there done that...and as nice as it is its all an ego trip. When you go up Mayfair and people shopping in those stores like its Primark then you realise its a different world..and as much as you spend and think you're the dogs..you're not even on the same planet as these people..thats the truth of it...maybe when youve got the 200 grand car and the 7 million pound house..then it make sense to buy the 3 grand suits

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-16 12:44:02)

#62 2015-09-16 12:46:57

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#63 2015-09-16 13:05:32

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Good god, I've not done a grand on a sports coat. I can't believe your still bitter because I've had suits made in Italy and England. Whats the big deal? Is it because I'm having a pair of shoes made? Ego trip? Whats wrong with having nice stuff to wear? Sounds to me like you resent the fact that you don't have the option to do so from your posts. Don't hate me because I can old son.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who's spent nearly a grand on a coat hasn't spent a ton or more on a pair of trousers and I find it just as hard to believe anyone whos done that would be content with Primark trousers. I'm not filling any gaps in my life by spending what the fuck I want to out of my wages on clobber. I've a good job, my mortage is low, the kids are grown up and out the nest. I need decent clobber for my social life. I can't turn up at clubs in a pair of tennis pumps and lumberjack shirt. Are you a bit mental?

#64 2015-09-16 13:08:21

Chet

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#65 2015-09-16 13:17:42

Bop

#66 2015-09-16 13:25:50

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

There is no way I'd enjoy living on 7 quid a day, you got that right.

#67 2015-09-16 13:29:17

stanshall

/\  cut it out or both of you are going to have your phones taken away and there will be no TV tonight and if you keep it up I'm giving away the football tickets so no game Saturday, it's your choice, and there's no use complaining to Mom either, she's with me on this one ... plus your room is a pigsty and I don't like the way you've been talking to your sister ....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#68 2015-09-16 14:04:49

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Theres only one of us watching TV, the other one can't afford the licence.

#69 2015-09-16 16:22:24

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#70 2015-09-16 17:29:52

Kingston1an

Huge thread drift.

The undeniable fact is that the opportunities that used to be there for young Brits are not there any more.

Much has been outsourced. Much has been undercut by immigrants prepared to work for less.

Internship is code for working for nothing.

Further education has turned into a racket to suit politicians and those involved in further education.

It simply ratchets up entry qualifications for jobs that used to be available with fewer certificates.

Divide and rule suits. Telling people "the opportunities are there you just need the training" is disingenuous at best.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#71 2015-09-16 17:52:30

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#72 2015-09-16 20:37:41

Chévere

All this boo-hoo-holing. Really, grow up.
My son had a degree from Yale in Neuro science, of all things. Well, guess what, he could not get a job with that super credential. He did not sit to cry and bemoan his fate about the lack of opportunity for neuroscience majors (after all that work!)
He took a job selling software over the phone. Talk about learning to get insulted, make little money and see your credentialed ass sitting next to a guy without a college education beating you in sales, and a sales manager one year older than you taking out all her envy and frustrations on you because being a Yalie hot shot you were not meeting sales quotas.
So he came home every night and taught himself programming. Anybody can teach himself programming. And there is an enormous need for programmers. If you can program you WILL get a job, and at a GOOD paying one at that. If you are feeling sorry for yourself, I am not.
And as for paying a grand for a sport coat at your salary level that was a stupendous mistake and I am glad you have seen the light.
But if you have champagne taste and a beer budget, please don't begrudge those who can afford, enjoy, and revel in drinking champagne.

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#73 2015-09-17 00:43:35

Bop

Most people's stories dont begin like that...and some people dont even have the opportunity to have a decent education...its a played out arguement for why society should shit on those in less fortunate situations and why they've only themselves to blame. I know people in retirement now who are thick as shit and didnt even do their jobs very well...work their whole lives in the same job had the security to buy a house, etc etc...there is a generation of people now where that is just not an option

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-17 00:47:51)

#74 2015-09-17 01:04:30

Bop

Also thank you for denying me the gift of hindsight... when I worked the job I did I could afford after cost of living to spend about 800 quid a month on what I wished..i dont have many vices so clothes is what I spent it on..when you work a job that sees you covered head to toe in sawdust you kind of want to dress smartly in contrast to how you spend the rest of your time...looking back I think it was ill informed not to save more.. what it did teach me though is why Ibwas spending that amount on clothes...it was to create a sense of pride in my appearance and mask my actual feelings towards the nature of the work...which even though I enjoyed because of the people I worked with..was actually pretty shit. Now my life is a lot different and Im aware how you can use spending as a vice and I limit myself reasonably well in order to make sure I dont slip into debt. My clothes budget is now around £50 a month which is what I have left after everything else is covered...that could mean a large item say a jacket or boardshirt..or a few small items like jeans from primark which I then alter to give the look I want...you can take a lot of enjoyment out of clothes without spending a lot which is anothrr thing Ive realised by concentrating on a particular style which not only I like but is fortunately quite thrifty in most circumstances

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-17 01:07:50)

#75 2015-09-17 02:38:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Corbyn's mission is welfare as opium to feed the masses. It is no different to Marx's religion is the opium of the people. The promise is the same.

His position yesterday that there should be no limits to welfare payouts was quite revealing: all the landords must have been rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of the gravy train continuing of getting a bunch of dolites and junkies into their bedsits and charging the state an extortionate fee.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer