#76 2015-09-17 02:50:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: The Jeremy Corbyn sartorial thread

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#77 2015-09-17 03:24:41

Bop

You should change your name to Heperbole.

1 in 5 people below the poverty line in the UK and the answer is mass retraining in computer coding and engineering ? And you guys say Corbyn is a joke?

The fact is we have a completely morally corrupt government...austerity enforced to redistribute wealth...New Labour was just as bad at managing it...allowing for banks to do what they liked etc..no wonder Corbyn and Farrage have becone appealing to so many

Last edited by Bop (2015-09-17 03:37:12)

#78 2015-09-17 03:48:45

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#79 2015-09-17 05:48:38

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#80 2015-09-17 06:14:29

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#81 2015-09-17 08:12:03

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Bop, I had a bad time at school, I was a proper Johnny Rebel. Chucked out two weeks before Easter, not that I was doing any exams anyway. I thought I'd walk into a job for a ton a week. Of course with it being 1982 and be being 16 and knowing zero that was stupid I now realise. Well, I realised it within a month as it goes. Drifted from job to job, some alright, most poo poo. Even tried my hand at shoplifting for a year or so. Got stuck in down the footie and in the end copped a job in the big house for two years. I was, I can admit, an all round prick.
Not having a decent education or having a dodgy youth is no excuse for wallowing in self pity with null application to improve your standard of living via learning new skills or showing some entrepreneur thinking. We all want a good job, nice holidays, car and our own home to fall in our laps, sadly life just isn't like that.
As for spending dough on clobber...I only do that because I like to wear nice clothes. Thats it. No deep reason, no thinking it makes me a better person. Nothing to do with the fact I wear overalls to work. I just love nice clobber. Italian Ivy wearing chippy mod that I am. Can I suggest you think about your negative attitude to your life and stop thinking that I'm in some sort of denial that I'm not happy with my lot? Cause your making me realise that the graft I've put in has been well worth it.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#82 2015-09-17 08:58:02

Yuca

The fact is though that you left the UK to be able to have a decent income (for which you do work hard of course) and job security. I think the point for most of us is: why can't those of us who don't have the gumption to emigrate also have the opportunity to get paid for working hard?

some sort of banal legitimacy

#83 2015-09-17 09:00:45

Yuca

#84 2015-09-17 09:04:05

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

My income was ok when I left. True, its a better country to live with a much better standard of living. Maybe the question should be...why don't people have the gumption to do a job that get good pay for?

I mean, all said and done, at the end of the day how much dollar can you expect to earn putting cod liver oil pills on a shop shelf? smile

#85 2015-09-17 09:04:30

Yuca

The position that all those people in the UK with no opportunities, living in poverty are in this position because they have no skills, no value in the job market, or are feckless or bone idle is morally obscene.

#86 2015-09-17 09:05:58

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Not that, they. Still got working class Leicester roots sometimes, innit.

#87 2015-09-17 09:10:42

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#88 2015-09-17 11:35:27

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#89 2015-09-17 16:52:16

Kingston1an

Further thread drift.

"Corbynism" reduced to massive welfare increases for all and sundry.

Work harder and smarter offered as a solution.

Possibility of changing things so the game is not as tilted and the system rigged simply ignored.

"There is no alternative" still chimes with many it seems.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#90 2015-09-17 17:19:42

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

You're right again Kingy. Comfortable, middle aged blokes giving young people useful tips on starting out in todays jobs market - based on their experiences of decades ago.

The Tory dogma of harping on about benefits as being the root of the nation's ills and how cutting benefits is the key to reducing the deficit has been well and truly swallowed by some here. The fact is that welfare and benefits are a small part of government expenditure compared to health, education....... and state pensions ( how the Tory boys would love to cut or means test them, but daren't because of the massive loss of votes that would follow). There are of course examples of lazy people with lots of kids who claim £1000's in benefits but they are very much in the minority. Most people who claim benefits (a) dont want to claim them but have to (b) only claim small amounts (c) only claim them for short periods, but hammering people at the bottom of the pile is all part of the plan to make the rest who are doing shit, poorly paid jobs feel grateful for the few crumbs that they are thrown.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#91 2015-09-17 21:36:07

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Hey, I'm all for change. I'm all for no more migrant workers, no zero hour contacts, big import tax on British companies manufacturing outside the EU for the UK market. A review and revoke of Uk arms dealers selling licences. Much faster and firmer dealing with refugee claims. I love to see public ownership of Gas, Leccy, water and public transport.

I'm just not for sitting on my arse blaming the system for my short comings or being insulted because I've an alright paid job and that I'm somehow a shallow person for doing so and then "wasting" my dough on clothes.

But I will say this...there are thousands of people who are happy to claim benefits who will tell anyone that'll listen they can't get a job. If you think otherwise you've very mistaken. JUst like theres thousands who like to moan about being suppressed  in the low paid sector, when in truth they just can't be arsed to apply themselfs to change. Again, how much can you earn putting light bulbs in boxes?

Last edited by Goodyear welt (2015-09-17 21:42:43)

#92 2015-09-18 03:51:19

Yuca

#93 2015-09-18 06:13:34

doghouse

#94 2015-09-18 11:12:15

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#95 2015-09-18 13:47:18

TakasakiJeff

#96 2015-09-18 13:55:41

Beestonplace

Very interesting discussion.

Full disclosure: I grew up with a father who had a library. We travelled across Europe when most people did package holidays. Schools were paid for. There was staff at home.

And still, I screwed it up. If you must know, I drifted into an unsavoury neo-nazi scene in my late teens/early twenties. Shoplifting, fraud, violence. Did not end up in jail. Maybe, in hindsight, I should have.

Fast forward 20 years. You would not believe who I am today. No, not because of "hard work" etc. Because of my ability to con people, to play an act.

I LOVE , this foum

#97 2015-09-18 14:06:02

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Fuckin ell, your not Ivy Jim are you?

#98 2015-09-18 14:10:43

Beestonplace

I am Beeston Place and who are you

I LOVE , this foum

#99 2015-09-18 14:26:30

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I'm Goodyear, just pulling your chain Mr. B. Was Ivy Jim before your time? Silly joke really.

I'm quite keen on the idea of staff. There is always a riff between Mrs. W and myself about cleaning the house but she always flatly refuses the suggestion of a cleaner.

#100 2015-09-18 14:42:14

Beestonplace

Cleaner? I had a nanny and there was a gardener, both properly employed by my father

I LOVE , this foum

Board footer