You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-03 11:38:06

stanshall

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

Rooster was the brand I was searching for! Thanks. I think that 2" will be great.

what colors are you looking for Sancho?

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#27 2017-10-03 11:55:41

stanshall

Oliver wrote:

This may be easier and apologies for the quality of photos:

http://postimg.org/gallery/2xd0lm8na/3300ef6b/

this was excellent, always was a big fan of Paul Krassner, thanks Ollie, miss ya!

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#28 2017-10-08 03:15:37

SanchoPanza

stanshall wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

Rooster was the brand I was searching for! Thanks. I think that 2" will be great.

what colors are you looking for Sancho?

A solid burgundy one. Or a black one.

#29 2017-10-08 06:43:15

Yuca

SanchoPanza wrote:

The other thing about the Kamakura ones was that the width was 8 cm (which is about 3") and I don't know what the golden rule says, but isn't 3" a bit too big for a knit tie?

Match it to the lapel width on your jackets. (Make sure you measure it correctly.) I suppose you could do it the other way around i.e. look for a jacket with lapel width to match your tie width.

Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly. Whereas wool and cotton ones stay looking good without constant attention.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#30 2017-10-08 08:21:12

Berkeley_Breathes

Yuca wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

The other thing about the Kamakura ones was that the width was 8 cm (which is about 3") and I don't know what the golden rule says, but isn't 3" a bit too big for a knit tie?

Match it to the lapel width on your jackets. (Make sure you measure it correctly.) I suppose you could do it the other way around i.e. look for a jacket with lapel width to match your tie width.

Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly. Whereas wool and cotton ones stay looking good without constant attention.

That's a good tip - I prefer wool and cotton as well...

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#31 2017-10-08 08:40:37

SanchoPanza

Maybe the Kamakura will match my new BB jacket, since the lapels one that one is wide as hell.

#32 2017-10-08 10:04:35

An Unseen Scene

"Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly"

I find a knitted tie needs a slightly chunky weave, even in silk to stay in place.  I do not have any problem with Nick Bronson ties in that regard, whereas a knitted tie in a fine weave will loosen as you say.

#33 2017-10-08 10:21:39

Berkeley_Breathes

SanchoPanza wrote:

Maybe the Kamakura will match my new BB jacket, since the lapels one that one is wide as hell.

Is it a 70s BB, Sanch? If so... I'm glad you're keeping it and making it work. I love a good Boom Years jacket but I have a soft spot for the 70s look when it's done right... I have two 70s Anderson Little jackets, a navy blazer and a madras, and while they have wide lapels I still love to wear them... The blazer needs padding taken out of the shoulders though...

#34 2017-10-09 12:20:02

Chief Brody

You need a nice "crunchy" silk knit and it will keep the knot. Got a black one from Paul Stuart as a gift- perfection.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/9397_keystupink.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/9397_pinkbb.jpg

Last edited by Berkeley_Breathes (2017-10-09 16:05:52)

#35 2017-11-19 16:54:32

SanchoPanza

With knit ties you have to keep the width pretty thin, right? About 2" to 2.5" at the most. Can someone point me to some decent black ones. I need one ASAP.

#36 2017-11-19 20:45:22

Berkeley_Breathes

SanchoPanza wrote:

With knit ties you have to keep the width pretty thin, right? About 2" to 2.5" at the most. Can someone point me to some decent black ones. I need one ASAP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ROOSTE … SwNU1aBgvZ

#37 2017-11-20 00:53:41

SanchoPanza

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ROOSTE … SwNU1aBgvZ

Thanks BB! But I'm still a bit concerned about the width. Shouldn't knit ties be skinny, not to skinny of course. But what's the ideal? Depending on my own size and everything.

#38 2017-11-20 01:25:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

New ones seem to come in 5 or 7cm width. 5cms is just under 2" and looks too skinny unless you have a really narrow lapel jacket on and want to look like the office junior. 7cms is about 2 3/4" and is just about right in my opinion. I have bought one or two vintage Rooster knits in wider widths, up to 3.5", but they somehow didn't look right and I got rid.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#39 2017-11-20 09:08:06

Berkeley_Breathes

I have a navy knit tie that comes in at around 2 3/8" (so slightly less than 2.5") and it looks great... I think too skinny (down by 2") would look weird with such a chunky fabric, to be honest...

#40 2017-11-22 03:25:25

SanchoPanza

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

I have a navy knit tie that comes in at around 2 3/8" (so slightly less than 2.5") and it looks great... I think too skinny (down by 2") would look weird with such a chunky fabric, to be honest...

So bascially, the one that BB linked would be ideal for me, since I'm gonna wear it with a heavier tweed jacket?

#41 2017-12-01 19:42:15

Berkeley_Breathes

SanchoPanza wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

So bascially, the one that BB linked would be ideal for me, since I'm gonna wear it with a heavier tweed jacket?

Why didn't I ever reply to this? Sorry. Yeah, I think you're good with that width or anywhere in that general area... I think being too wide is a problem more than being too narrow (unless you're getting into, I don't know, bolo tie territory)...

#42 2017-12-01 19:42:26

Berkeley_Breathes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8_ENa7sVpug/TCn-5G4Ue7I/AAAAAAAANtQ/BUaSdxGCYP0/s1600/GRA_RR_Buchautor-Richard-Yates+5.jpg

Board footer