You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-03 11:38:06

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11077

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

Rooster was the brand I was searching for! Thanks. I think that 2" will be great.

what colors are you looking for Sancho?


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#27 2017-10-03 11:55:41

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11077

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

Oliver wrote:

This may be easier and apologies for the quality of photos:

http://postimg.org/gallery/2xd0lm8na/3300ef6b/

this was excellent, always was a big fan of Paul Krassner, thanks Ollie, miss ya!


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#28 2017-10-08 03:15:37

SanchoPanza
Member
Posts: 1018

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

stanshall wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

Rooster was the brand I was searching for! Thanks. I think that 2" will be great.

what colors are you looking for Sancho?

A solid burgundy one. Or a black one.

 

#29 2017-10-08 06:43:15

Yuca
Member
Posts: 6923

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

The other thing about the Kamakura ones was that the width was 8 cm (which is about 3") and I don't know what the golden rule says, but isn't 3" a bit too big for a knit tie?

Match it to the lapel width on your jackets. (Make sure you measure it correctly.) I suppose you could do it the other way around i.e. look for a jacket with lapel width to match your tie width.

Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly. Whereas wool and cotton ones stay looking good without constant attention.


some sort of banal legitimacy

 

#30 2017-10-08 08:21:12

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

Yuca wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

The other thing about the Kamakura ones was that the width was 8 cm (which is about 3") and I don't know what the golden rule says, but isn't 3" a bit too big for a knit tie?

Match it to the lapel width on your jackets. (Make sure you measure it correctly.) I suppose you could do it the other way around i.e. look for a jacket with lapel width to match your tie width.

Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly. Whereas wool and cotton ones stay looking good without constant attention.

That's a good tip - I prefer wool and cotton as well...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#31 2017-10-08 08:40:37

SanchoPanza
Member
Posts: 1018

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

Maybe the Kamakura will match my new BB jacket, since the lapels one that one is wide as hell.

 

#32 2017-10-08 10:04:35

An Unseen Scene
Member
From: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 521

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

"Incidentally I have never had a knit tie in silk that doesn't come loose at the knot repeatedly"

I find a knitted tie needs a slightly chunky weave, even in silk to stay in place.  I do not have any problem with Nick Bronson ties in that regard, whereas a knitted tie in a fine weave will loosen as you say.

 

#33 2017-10-08 10:21:39

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

Maybe the Kamakura will match my new BB jacket, since the lapels one that one is wide as hell.

Is it a 70s BB, Sanch? If so... I'm glad you're keeping it and making it work. I love a good Boom Years jacket but I have a soft spot for the 70s look when it's done right... I have two 70s Anderson Little jackets, a navy blazer and a madras, and while they have wide lapels I still love to wear them... The blazer needs padding taken out of the shoulders though...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#34 2017-10-09 12:20:02

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1702

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

You need a nice "crunchy" silk knit and it will keep the knot. Got a black one from Paul Stuart as a gift- perfection.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/9397_keystupink.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/9397_pinkbb.jpg

Last edited by Berkeley_Breathes (2017-10-09 16:05:52)

 

#35 2017-11-19 16:54:32

SanchoPanza
Member
Posts: 1018

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

With knit ties you have to keep the width pretty thin, right? About 2" to 2.5" at the most. Can someone point me to some decent black ones. I need one ASAP.

 

#36 2017-11-19 20:45:22

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

With knit ties you have to keep the width pretty thin, right? About 2" to 2.5" at the most. Can someone point me to some decent black ones. I need one ASAP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ROOSTE … SwNU1aBgvZ


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#37 2017-11-20 00:53:41

SanchoPanza
Member
Posts: 1018

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

SanchoPanza wrote:

With knit ties you have to keep the width pretty thin, right? About 2" to 2.5" at the most. Can someone point me to some decent black ones. I need one ASAP.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ROOSTE … SwNU1aBgvZ

Thanks BB! But I'm still a bit concerned about the width. Shouldn't knit ties be skinny, not to skinny of course. But what's the ideal? Depending on my own size and everything.

 

#38 2017-11-20 01:25:10

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 6107

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

New ones seem to come in 5 or 7cm width. 5cms is just under 2" and looks too skinny unless you have a really narrow lapel jacket on and want to look like the office junior. 7cms is about 2 3/4" and is just about right in my opinion. I have bought one or two vintage Rooster knits in wider widths, up to 3.5", but they somehow didn't look right and I got rid.


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#39 2017-11-20 09:08:06

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

I have a navy knit tie that comes in at around 2 3/8" (so slightly less than 2.5") and it looks great... I think too skinny (down by 2") would look weird with such a chunky fabric, to be honest...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#40 2017-11-22 03:25:25

SanchoPanza
Member
Posts: 1018

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

I have a navy knit tie that comes in at around 2 3/8" (so slightly less than 2.5") and it looks great... I think too skinny (down by 2") would look weird with such a chunky fabric, to be honest...

So bascially, the one that BB linked would be ideal for me, since I'm gonna wear it with a heavier tweed jacket?

 

#41 2017-12-01 19:42:15

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

SanchoPanza wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

I have a navy knit tie that comes in at around 2 3/8" (so slightly less than 2.5") and it looks great... I think too skinny (down by 2") would look weird with such a chunky fabric, to be honest...

So bascially, the one that BB linked would be ideal for me, since I'm gonna wear it with a heavier tweed jacket?

Why didn't I ever reply to this? Sorry. Yeah, I think you're good with that width or anywhere in that general area... I think being too wide is a problem more than being too narrow (unless you're getting into, I don't know, bolo tie territory)...


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

#42 2017-12-01 19:42:26

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: The Great White North
Posts: 1476

Re: Timothy Leary tie question

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8_ENa7sVpug/TCn-5G4Ue7I/AAAAAAAANtQ/BUaSdxGCYP0/s1600/GRA_RR_Buchautor-Richard-Yates+5.jpg


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson