You are not logged in.

#26 2015-11-18 01:26:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: JE SUIS UN PARISIEN.

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2015-11-18 01:30:35)

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#27 2015-11-18 02:37:31

Bop

Do you mind showing me a link to that figure? Im just wondering how they came to that conclusion?

#28 2015-11-18 03:22:23

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There's a number of sources to that, ORB International in London reported 22% of Syrians support ISIS. It was the Syrian Ambassador to India who said 20% of the refugees belong to ISIS groups.

Who knows what, when you live in a world where the passport found on one of the terrorists is currently being used by another 8 immigrants in Europe?

#29 2015-11-18 03:27:41

Bop

Im more interested in the Dutch government figure..where did you attain that? I can't find it on a google search, was it an online article?

#30 2015-11-18 03:39:51

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It was the Mayor of Amsterdam:

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/11/16/rotterdam-mayor-we-must-eradicate-isis-be-more-inclusive-towards-muslims/

#31 2015-11-18 03:53:06

Bop

I cant see that in the article?

#32 2015-11-18 04:30:29

Bop

Last edited by Bop (2015-11-18 04:35:51)

#33 2015-11-18 04:31:16

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The mayors firmly believe that closing the borders to refugees will not stop the ISIS problem. “99.9 percent of the Muslim world understand and do not want what ISIS does”, Van der Laan said, according to the Volkskrant. He also talked about how to explain that Islam is not ISIS to the general population. “It starts with the presentation of new facts. We have emergency shelters in Amsterdam, and since day one there were roomers that ISIS terrorists are among the refugees. We have to check that properly, but every time that does not happen, we must say that it is not true.”
END QUOTE

#34 2015-11-18 04:40:06

Bop

99.9 percent of the Muslim world dont stand for what ISIS want...is the quote. Which Im guessing is a turn of phrase? So your current arguement is based on that quote, and an ORB survey that currently doesnt appear to back up what youve said. So Im not sure I can take what youve said as anything other than opinion because when we look at the figures youve raised..they dont seem to stand up

#35 2015-11-18 04:54:14

Harpo
The Best In The West

Yes, I have to say Hep, the figures you're quoting here really don't stand up to scrutiny, as Bop has pointed out. Are your sure you're not letting your own assumptions cloud the actual facts?

Randy lower-class trifler

#36 2015-11-18 04:57:02

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

We don't know what the actual numbers who support ISIS are, or are members of sleeper cells, that's the whole point. We can only hope that those coming in are thoroughly checked and those on faked passports denied refugee status. We see many of our allies refusing the refugees on security reasons, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Poland, Hungary and many US State Governors are refusing to go along with Obama's refugee plans for the US.

You don't know whether the figures stand up or not, we can only test this over time and based on the current events, we may find we have a higher proportion of terrorists and jihadists than the lower estimates.

#37 2015-11-18 05:34:28

Bop

I think the problem is these terrorists seem to be able to move relatively easily before any issue with Syrian and Libyan refugees, so to say accepting refugees increases risk. Im not sure Id agree what it does is gives them an option to try to move as a refugee, but they'd find another way of that wasnt the case. To leave swathes of people destitute because lets say a fraction of a % are terrorists is absurd on a numerical ie logical level.

Our security forces are doing everything they can it seems, but all it needs is 8 people to achieve what we saw, how can any political intervention and policing stop 8 people slipping through? Ideally stifling the funding of ISIS is how to stop them which is well within our means. Scape goating a relgion and innocent people already in a dire situation is not.

Last edited by Bop (2015-11-18 05:35:38)

#38 2015-11-18 06:27:51

Harpo
The Best In The West

Yes, and the irony of of our "ally" Saudi Arabia not letting refugees in for fear of them being IS supporters is palpable.

You only need to look to the house of Saud to find those - supporters both in terms of ideology and money. Yet we continue to deal arms to them.

Randy lower-class trifler

#39 2015-11-18 07:02:52

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#40 2015-11-19 00:30:31

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#41 2015-11-19 00:44:10

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2015-11-19 03:04:06)

#42 2015-11-20 08:14:47

formby1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34877683

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#43 2015-11-20 08:25:41

Kingston1an

^ As if IS, or anybody for that matter, cares what Brillo has to say.

Self-serving grandstanding. I always switch over when he is on telly.

Though I do watch camp Portillo on his railway journeys.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#44 2015-11-20 10:54:38

doghouse

Apparently all the #BlacklivesMatter nutters over here have got their panties in a bunch about the momentary lack of attention and started a #FuckParis hashtag.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#45 2015-11-20 11:00:02

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#46 2015-11-22 00:45:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#47 2015-11-22 00:55:47

Bop

You work in the oil industry dont you Hep? A new prospect?

http://www.oilandgaspeople.com/news/highlights/5982/isis-looking-for-new-oil-refinery-manager-and-oil-staff/

#48 2015-11-22 01:16:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The oil industry is not good at the moment, massive over supply in the market which is likely to increase if the sanctions on Iran are lifted next year, a glut of drilling equipment, the North Sea and Aberdeen like a ghost town, lots of disinvestment and unlikely to move into positive territory until 2019. Which means some sectors will be marred in recession until 2021. But the good news is that's it's positive growth there on in until 2045! At least your petrol will be cheap for the foreseeable. Still, lots of potential for black swan events in the ME.

The focus is on LNG at the moment which is still somewhat buoyant, but a good bet is the Nuclear side of construction in the UK.

What the recession will do is to encourage all the old timers in their mid to late seventies to actually retire and make room for the next generation which is only fair.

No legitimate company, including their sub-suppliers are going to be working for the Islamic State, or buying oil from them. Despite it's cowboy reputation, the oil & gas industry is extremely well regulated when it comes to corporate governance, implementing code of ethics etc and the Americans vigour in prosecuting international corruption in dollar contracts have assisted somewhat. There's still a way to go, the Petrobras scandal as still some big players left to be exposed, allegedly one of my competitors which I am looking forward to.

#49 2015-11-22 04:09:57

formby1

Lots of engineers have been layed off in Aberdeen, especially process engineers. I have  several friends who are process engineers, and they say its had quite an effect on contract rates.

It does supprise me though, as contracting can be countercyclical in certain industries. That is, they take more contractors on during the recessions because they are easier to get rid off.

Souvent me Souvient

#50 2015-11-22 09:15:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There's still work out there of course, maintenance and shutdowns continue unabated. Also there's two Kazakhstan projects, a massive ethylene project in the Middle East and LNG projects in the USA and elsewhere. And everyone, but his dog is making moves ready for Iran. But Aberdeen and Perth (WA) are dead.

One of the problems with the contract rates is not so much the clients who in general are asking for reductions which when you factor in currency rate changes are probably overdue anyway, but we see some of the larger corporations in a race to the bottom in a desperate attempt to corner the market. But if the clients haven't got the work, you have to batten down the hatches and ride it out, however, some managers don't have this luxury where the demands of shareholders dictate a percentage increase and profit margin year in and year out. This is not possible in my side of the business, you have to be able to expand and contract with the market, otherwise you are doomed.

And we also see the PIGS effect in action, in the last 5 years, the cost of doing business in the likes of Italy has become much more expensive, more so than in Germany and the Netherlands for example. A mixture of guaranteed pay raises, higher/a multitude of hidden taxes and other bureaucratic spanners in the work. Acceptable in the good times, but once you're in a recession the exposure and inefficiency of these countries becomes stark against the northern power houses.

Board footer