You are not logged in.

#26 2016-02-02 09:37:58

Chet
Member
Posts: 1492

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Boots have arrived, and first impressions are good.  Fit is true to size, and the quality of the uppers and sole is (in my opinion) much better than the Vietnamese Clark's (I haven't seen the Astorflex in the flesh so I can't compare them). Apologies for the dodgy photos:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/5071_imag0212.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/5071_imag0213.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/5071_imag0214.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/5071_imag0215.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/5071_imag0217.jpg

Last edited by Chet (2016-02-02 09:51:32)


Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

 

#27 2016-02-02 10:18:39

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

They look fantastic!! Are you a half-size and did you jump up as suggested?

 

#28 2016-02-02 10:20:13

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

I'm bringing my Clark's with me to work this afternoon and handing them to a homeless person.

 

#29 2016-02-02 10:36:38

Chet
Member
Posts: 1492

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Oliver wrote:

They look fantastic!! Are you a half-size and did you jump up as suggested?

No, I'm a usually a UK 8 and ordered the same, and they fit me perfectly.


Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

 

#30 2016-02-02 10:50:28

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3009

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Look great Chet, look forward to hearing back after the first road test.


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#31 2016-02-02 11:23:37

The Single Uncles
Member
Posts: 23

Re: Hutton Desert boots

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

 

#32 2016-02-02 11:24:34

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3237

Re: Hutton Desert boots

RobbieB wrote:

Leer R. wrote:

The Astorflex look similar and are for sure the better value price wise. That said I was surprised how near my Vietnamese Dessies are to my old Made in England Dessies  from the 90s...

Are you referring to Clarks Dessies? I have both Made in England and Made in Vietnam boots and although they are nearly identical I have come to prefer the Vietnam ones. I usually buy them in sales for 50 or less so they are good value 'beater' boots. I couldn't justify paying 250 for a Made in England pair of Clarks.

Whoahey, never recognised your post sad

well, yes I meant the Vietnamese made Clarks Dessies. To me they are the same stuff they were back in the 90s when they still were made in England. The "Made in England" price is ridiculous. Getting Clarks Originals for GBP 50,-- seems a good value!

That said, I must admit that the final version of those Huttons looks MUCH better than the one the Weejun posted. They also look MUCH better than the Astorflex and seem to me the only alternative look wise to Clarks - but they are also more expensive than Clarks, I guess too expensive - a similar quality made in Italy (though not as good looking) should be (in Italy itself) not more than 90,-- to 100,--

165,-- for unlined Desert Boots is ALOT. But they look really GOOD.

Last edited by Leer R. (2016-02-02 11:25:45)


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#33 2016-02-02 11:36:48

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

This worries me. I'm a US 9 in Clarks too (I think) and an 8.5 in most other footwear, namely gunboats and most slip-on loafers. I sized up to a 43 which is supposed to be a US 9 with the conversion. Eur doesn't do half sizes, I guess. I really hope they fit.

 

#34 2016-02-02 11:45:27

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3237

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Oliver wrote:

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

This worries me. I'm a US 9 in Clarks too (I think) and an 8.5 in most other footwear, namely gunboats and most slip-on loafers. I sized up to a 43 which is supposed to be a US 9 with the conversion. Eur doesn't do half sizes, I guess. I really hope they fit.

If they are like a standard Italian 43, they should be like an 8,5 in Clarks or a 9-9.5 in US sizing. With all Italian made Dessies I had I bought 43 and I am 8,5 in Clarks. That would be just like The Uncles mentioned. Could be that they are a little bit big for you, Oli... Your feet are a size smaller than mine. But I bet an insole does the trick...

Last edited by Leer R. (2016-02-02 11:47:39)


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#35 2016-02-02 12:15:15

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3237

Re: Hutton Desert boots

BTW, they are somewhat 100% Clarks Desert Boot style, aren't they? I mean that's a good thing as no desert boot ever looked as good as a Clarks to me... But it is interesting. Also interesting: that 100 boots ltd. editon thing.

Does anybody know who is behind that venture? Who owns the Hutton's brand name?

the Playboy brand name is owned by a swedish company, right? But those here aren't the same - so... they probably will never make "Playboys", right?


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#36 2016-02-02 12:17:20

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Leer R. wrote:

Oliver wrote:

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

This worries me. I'm a US 9 in Clarks too (I think) and an 8.5 in most other footwear, namely gunboats and most slip-on loafers. I sized up to a 43 which is supposed to be a US 9 with the conversion. Eur doesn't do half sizes, I guess. I really hope they fit.

If they are like a standard Italian 43, they should be like an 8,5 in Clarks or a 9-9.5 in US sizing. With all Italian made Dessies I had I bought 43 and I am 8,5 in Clarks. That would be just like The Uncles mentioned. Could be that they are a little bit big for you, Oli... Your feet are a size smaller than mine. But I bet an insole does the trick...

Thanks Dom, sounds promising and I hope that's the case!

 

#37 2016-02-02 16:05:56

The Single Uncles
Member
Posts: 23

Re: Hutton Desert boots

I understand this is an attempt to recreate the original Clark desert boot from the 50/60's before the clarky began to slightly decline. In fairness I think the cost reflects the quality and the fact that production is in Italy rather than Vietnam. Still love Clarks desert though.
On sizing I asked and they said a 9 (UK) in a Clarks is equal to a 43 which although fits is slightly snug. A 44 would have been okay. If it helps the 43 is slightly under 12 inches measuring outside from heel to toe.

 

#38 2016-02-02 16:48:05

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Shoot. 9 uk = 43???

9 uk = 9.5/10 us

8.5 to 9 (us) should be 42 euro.

They specifically noted that if you're between sizes (i.e. 8.5) round up, not down. I rounded up to 9 and did the euro conversion.

Either they sent you screwy info or I ordered an enormous size, in which case I'll be really unhappy.

I just sent them an email and I hope they aren't sold out of 42s. Anticipating a pricey exchange.

 

#39 2016-02-02 16:53:50

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Btw I just checked and I take an 8.5 in Clarks after all. 😓

If you're a 9 uk (9.5 us) then I screwed this up. I'm a full size less than you and we both ordered 43.

Last edited by Oliver (2016-02-02 16:55:48)

 

#40 2016-02-02 17:04:47

Oliver
Member
From: San Francisco
Posts: 6321

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Just had a look at their size chart and it's entirely my own fault, damnit. I was looking at the uk size thinking it was u.s. I hope they do a new run soon. It'll cost me the same as it would've full retail now (without the discount) factoring the return shipping. Really angry at myself.

 

#41 2016-02-03 09:35:35

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1677

Re: Hutton Desert boots

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

Hi Singles, what was The Weejun's involvement?

 

#42 2016-02-03 09:50:31

Sid Ford
Member
Posts: 461

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Can someone important just sort out all the various shoe sizing in the world and make them an actual measurement or something.
All this UK8.5 / US9 / Euro 43 bollocks just needs sorting.

And while you are at it change womens and kids sizes too.
Shoes are shoes. Feet are feet.

 

#43 2016-02-03 15:43:12

The Single Uncles
Member
Posts: 23

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Chief Brody wrote:

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

Hi Singles, what was The Weejun's involvement?

I know very little accept that he was involved and its an attempt to recreate the Clarks desert boot in its heyday.   This is from a friend who knows him and no idea what was involved but think his done a pretty good Job. Next on the list should be the Holy grail of the Mcqueen Huttons original playboys but I understand this is an altogether more complex re-creation.

 

#44 2016-02-03 15:55:31

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3009

Re: Hutton Desert boots

The original Hutton PB's are indeed more of an undertaking - the biggest issue is the way the leather strip between the upper and the crepe foxing attaches, it's a labouring job which was removed due to the improvements in glue, but for that true authentic PB it has to have the leather bead. I'm sure there are other issues too mind - he's hoping they can do it.


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#45 2016-02-04 01:57:41

Chief Brody
Member
Posts: 1677

Re: Hutton Desert boots

The Single Uncles wrote:

Chief Brody wrote:

The Single Uncles wrote:

I would concur with Chet. The Weejun has delivered. Risked them today even though a slight chance of rain. Suede superior, sole superior and colour great. I'm bunion inflicted and these felt like slippers while at the same time feeling quite robust. Sizing is odd I'm a 9 in a clarks and purchased  a 9.5 (43) which fit nicely.

Hi Singles, what was The Weejun's involvement?

I know very little accept that he was involved and its an attempt to recreate the Clarks desert boot in its heyday.   This is from a friend who knows him and no idea what was involved but think his done a pretty good Job. Next on the list should be the Holy grail of the Mcqueen Huttons original playboys but I understand this is an altogether more complex re-creation.

Thank you.

 

#46 2016-02-04 02:14:59

Meehawl MacMurrachu
Member
Posts: 366

Re: Hutton Desert boots

I would say they come up a bit small - compared to the Astorflex definitely. I took a 45 in Astorflex but the 45 in Hutton is snugger.

The unlined part is interesting too - I've never had a shoe like that before - be interesting to see how they wear - might not be ideal for all feet type.

My feet were used for some of the close-up scenes in the Hobbit movies so I'm not sure the delicacy of the unlined upper is playing to my strengths.

 

#47 2016-02-05 11:45:08

The Single Uncles
Member
Posts: 23

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Meehawl MacMurrachu wrote:

I would say they come up a bit small - compared to the Astorflex definitely. I took a 45 in Astorflex but the 45 in Hutton is snugger.

The unlined part is interesting too - I've never had a shoe like that before - be interesting to see how they wear - might not be ideal for all feet type.

My feet were used for some of the close-up scenes in the Hobbit movies so I'm not sure the delicacy of the unlined upper is playing to my strengths.

A point of interest. Those afflicted with foot issues normally associated with years of loafer wearing like myself need an altogether more robust boot to provide the required comfort. For this I can't beat the redwing but I imagine in a few years it'll be a built up trainer that one increasing sees being worn by well dressed men in their 70's. Oh the disappointment when you see the feet.

Anyhow interested to see how the Hutton pans out comfort wise after a few wears.

 

#48 2016-02-08 05:21:10

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3009

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Fingers crossed for these making a genuine appearance - thanks you Roll Callers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191800886543?ul_noapp=true

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bUoAAOSwDuJWtp8j/s-l1600.jpg


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

#49 2016-02-08 05:27:29

Leer R.
Member
From: Vienna
Posts: 3237

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Not too far away from the Clarks Desert Earls! Really...


http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

 

#50 2016-02-08 05:41:23

Tomiskinky
Member
Posts: 3009

Re: Hutton Desert boots

Hmmm, I think you mean the desert earls are not too far away from these haha.


Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson