You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-05 13:12:13

Beestonplace

The best clothes I have ever bought...

...were the ones I have bought new (not thrifted/ebay), as regular items, not on sale (unless we count the shirtmakers 3-for-2 as "sale"), not in any kind of promotion, often things/brands that never go on sales promotions:

- C&J Audley handgrades
- Cordings fawn Covert coat
- Red or blue Hermes ties
- Rolex and Patek watches
- SABs briefcases
- Brigg and Fox umbrellas

Whereas I have bought  a lot of stuff only because it was on sale, and quickly found out I didnt want the item in question as all:

- C&Js boxing day sales (several cordovan shoes which did not fit properly, shoes in the wrong colour/shade)
- All H&H shirts for 30 GBP (they were that cheap for a reason)
- God forgive me, Ferragamo ties from their factory outlet
- Pickett's briefcases way back then when they were half of what SAB/Papworth cost

I am like a woman. When things are on sale, my mind goes bonkers.
The very few good things that really lasted forever were the ones acquired outside of any sale.

I LOVE , this foum

#2 2016-01-05 13:16:56

Beestonplace

Re: The best clothes I have ever bought...

And C&Js Belgrave, best casual shoe I have ever bought, also not in sale.

I LOVE , this foum

#3 2016-01-05 18:33:49

Johnny's Lobbster

Interesting point on the C&J cordovan shoes, I've made the exact same observation. Even on the same last and in the same style the cordovan shoe fitted rather strange. I really like the 337 last, but am exactly between a 8.5 and a 9, so they never really fit me.

#4 2016-01-06 03:03:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Historically I've never been motivated to buy stuff in sales, but the exception now is T&A shirts. Of course, you're getting the resplendent stripes and not the plain shirts, but I just couldn't pay full wack for T&A shirt, not at 265 quid or 425 or whatever it is for the Viyella ones.

If you go for the known quality manufacturers you'll be in the best in class zone everytime, albeit the usual considerations of fit, size and what suits you comes into play. I've had few recent regrets, although I went a bit bonkers and bought a load of Dockers chinos because I liked the cloth during the first half of 2015. I might add I was on strong medication at the time, so consider those purchases an aberration under the influence.

I've noticed some lasts of C&J's and also Foster & Sons benefit from a thicker sock and seem to be slightly larger than an E fitting.

Ferragamo ties, no Beestonplace, no! But in saying that, rather than sales, it's airport terminals I go bonkers in: many a time I've come back with all kinds of shirts, jackets and exotic booze I would never normally buy. Ermenegildo Zegna use to be top of the list for airport purchases back in the 2000s.

The best watch I've purchased recently is an Ole Mathieson with roman numerals - relatively cheap as chips, but looks the part and stands out in its simple plain and unadulterated glory.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2016-01-06 05:01:03

Beestonplace

Oh, yes, airport shopping. Worst culprit - Grieder, full of oh-so-sophisticated Euro stuff, like Zegna. When I put Zegna on, I look like a Eastern European, whereas a plain Cordings tweed jacket makes me shine.

Same goes for overpriced chocolate, perfume and ties. Airports are dangerous.

I LOVE , this foum

#6 2016-01-06 05:16:31

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#7 2016-01-06 05:17:26

Beestonplace

How many bloody "Chinos" does a man need?

I LOVE , this foum

#8 2016-01-06 06:30:47

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#9 2016-01-06 09:51:23

Beestonplace

"full ticket" - love it

I LOVE , this foum

#10 2016-01-06 14:23:29

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Interesting thread; what I'm getting out of it is that good quality, classic items always repay the outlay on them whether it's full or reduced price. Also never buy on impulse because something is reduced, only buy if you really like it and it fits/ suits you - all easier said than done of course.

There is very little that I need, my wardrobe is replete so I am in the business of replacing or upgrading when the opportunity arises. I have a strong aversion to paying the full price for anything, we all know the huge markups that go on in clothing retail, so where possible I wait until things are on sale. Retailers have different approaches to discounting, some never discount their classic staple items while others discount across the board at sale time. My favourite shops are Allen Edmonds for shoes and J Press for suits, jackets and trousers, both of whom discount widely a couple of times a year. So those Leeds shoes Patrick mentioned are currently 15% cheaper than normal. Top of the range $1350 J Press suits are down 60% to $540 at the moment, I've bought three of their classic suits in this way during the last few years.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2016-01-06 16:06:40

The_Shooman
A pretty face

#12 2016-01-06 21:00:53

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#13 2016-01-07 00:05:08

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Anything I can't buy over here: schnapps in Austria and Germany, rare grappas in Italy and in China along with expensive teas, the industrial solvent tasting, Baijiu - likely the closest thing to a glue sniffing experience there is.

#14 2016-01-07 02:45:19

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#15 2016-01-07 02:54:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Not so great IMCO. Actually was gifted one before Christmas in Tuscany, it happened to be this gold, red and diamond patterned fiasco, which actually reminded me of ties popular in the UK for a time back in the 80s. I thanked them and there it lies dormant in my wardrobe a sentence for all eternity.

#16 2016-01-07 03:09:23

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#17 2016-01-07 04:07:29

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#18 2016-01-07 06:31:14

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#19 2016-01-07 06:39:40

doghouse

#20 2016-01-07 12:53:28

Beestonplace

I feel like starting a fight

With all the retailers who tried to sell me their leftovers ,

I LOVE , this foum

#21 2016-01-07 15:07:01

Worried Man

It is a bit infuriating to see exactly how much certain items are discounted in sales, and you know they're still making money on it.  I mean, 60% off retail??  That's insane.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#22 2016-01-07 23:59:49

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

An accountant mate of mine does the books for one of the up market mens wear/pseudo-tailors here in the Netherlands - they have shops in Rotterdam, the Hague and Amsterdam. He says they make a profit two times a year: the post-Christmas and summer sales. The rest of the year, they kind of break even, but even with their 40-60% discounts they still have a massive mark-up and make a good profit.

It makes sense to buy in sales actually, but of course, certain sellers and non-seasonal stuff are not going to be in a sale.

The retail market here in the Netherlands is changing rapidly, the middle players are going bankrupt i.e. V&A and the others are either going up-market into sub-Harvey Nicks territory i.e. the Bijenkorpf and then you have cheap as chips Primark.

The menswear stores are not immune from this either: a couple of chains have reinvented themselves as MTM suit and shirt makers. A couple of bespoke shirt makers have set themselves up in the Hague in the last 6 or 7 years and seem to be doing well, especially considering the rip-off prices and mediocre cloths. The King's tailor is now owned by three shareholders and is extending their shop and especially good for Hermes style ties for between €69-89. The company my mucca does the books for use to be very popular with the Dutch MP's, but like other organisations, the dress code in parliament has changed and he says they're are now shopping for cheaper alternatives.

In any event, sales are no bad thing and why buy something one week when you know in a few weeks time it will be discounted at 40-60%? It makes no sense, we don't live in a world where fashion is that fickle and short term anymore.

#23 2016-01-08 00:56:37

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#24 2016-01-10 07:21:17

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The T&A sales stuff is their seasonal ranges at the end of the line, they're not specially made as a lower grade sales collection. Of course Ralphy boy started the sales collection with his Chaps range and has been in enraptured to the lowest common denominator ever since.

#25 2016-01-10 08:30:06

Johnny's Lobbster

4F, does you friend work for Oger?

It also depends one the store. My two favourite shops will only mark certain items at 40 or more % off but they usually have some pre-christams or the recently introduced Black Friday sales where everything in the store is 20% off. Usually the time when I buy my shoes or other items, which aren't included in the end of season sales but are a better buy for 400€ instread of 500€.

It might show how much of an iGent I am, but two years ago I made a shopping list with every item I want to buy in the future. As I hardly ever wear suits and we have different seasons here it includes a lot of stuff and it's main intention is to stop me from buying more jumpers, trousers etc. I don't need. Buying a purple jumper when you really want a shade of blue doesn’t really solve any wardrobe problem, no matter the markdown.

Board footer