You are not logged in.

#51 2016-02-20 15:55:04

Bop

Re: Sole Brothers

Oh and another one to consider for the future retro bboy..

The Daybreak Roshe in Tuscan Orange..not to keen on the colour but works well for the shoe and has a much better look to it than the cortez and LD1000 imo

http://thesolesupplier.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/DSC_7355_800pix.jpg?a5be2f

#52 2016-02-20 16:13:16

stanshall

haha, all college students everywhere, not just Yalies, were wearing funky chic back in the late '60s/early '70s .... unless they were reactionaries

Tom as we all know is a Yalie (Yale Ph.D. American Studies '57) and while that prissy essay was amusingly fogey it is lightweight and predictable compared to his earlier classics The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test,  The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby, and The Pump House Gang ....

Bop, your new N!kes fit into the Late '70s Prep Look, which did not ever attempt to be cool but instead was extremely ingenuous, the opposite of cool .....

----------------

today and lately I've just been wearing my canvas Sperry CVOs, Vans Eras, and Converse All-Stars, they're half the price of any other sneaker

occasionally the New Balances USA 996 in classic gray suede and mesh, because while it is true that gray shoes are dégueulasse, gray suede New Balance are exceptions to the rule but they are the epitome of crunchy nerdliness (all opinion of course)

there are a few pairs of leather and suede sneaks I really want but they keep getting pushed to the back of the queue

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#53 2016-02-20 17:14:21

formby1

^

Whether is 'prissy' or not is beside the point, its bang on the money...

Look, if you're genuine, you should expend your energies showing these Ivy aficionadoes the good stuff, not making them look like fools by making them dress like shit.

They're grown men for fucks sake...

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#54 2016-02-20 21:31:11

stanshall

Nah, Tommy hysterically blew a gasket because he saw the kids wearing jeans, the piece is silly yet mean-spirited, I think.

Who could take anything ('The Secret Vice' included) Colonel Sanders writes about clothes seriously?

Not even genuine Tom Wolfe aficionados.

#55 2016-02-20 22:08:33

Bop

Formby, I appricate your interest in what I wear, the feeling you need to save my sartorial soul is that out of kindness or are you trying to impose a world view? In the 5 or so years of posting on here I cant really remember anything you've ever used as an example as being anything I would personally choose to dress like. I use that to highlight the fact that it's no suprise that what I like then is not to your taste. Im more than willing to leave that there, if you feel like you need to continue down some path of righteousness well carry on, but Im genuinely not interested in making my ways more like yours. This thread isnt in the wardrobe or TI for the very reason that I dont think it fitted the theme of either section but knew there were people on here that would like to to talk shop.

You've brilliantly critiqued my shoes as to what you dont like and thats fine, but still within that whether I then choose to wear them, well that's up to me and like I said to be more like you is not my objective.

#56 2016-02-20 23:09:26

stanshall

Bop wrote:

Oh and another one to consider for the future retro bboy..

The Daybreak Roshe in Tuscan Orange..not to keen on the colour but works well for the shoe and has a much better look to it than the cortez and LD1000 imo

http://thesolesupplier.co.uk/wp-content … jpg?a5be2f

the aging/yellowing on the outsoles and on the sole is cool, I like the green/yellow version, my old green/yellow Gazelles were faves too ....

I have never had a pair of orange sneakers, saw a pair of bright orange somethings last week, they were not good-looking to me, but maybe the bright orange color is meant to increase the runner's visibility .....

#57 2016-02-21 03:17:42

Bop

Orange is indeed a difficult colour for anything really... just found the green ones...they look great too..there is some quite satisfying about them...chunky curves, futuristic and retro at the same time..a nice balance

#58 2016-02-21 04:53:11

formby1

stanshall wrote:

Nah, Tommy hysterically blew a gasket because he saw the kids wearing jeans, the piece is silly yet mean-spirited, I think.

Who could take anything ('The Secret Vice' included) Colonel Sanders writes about clothes seriously?

I take him seriously, and I know what I'm talking about. You'll have to do do better than that...

Now if you are genuine you would push Ivy fans towards the good stuff, you aren't, you're creating a fantasy world a la Ralph Lauren.

And as I said earlier, because something was worn back in the day doesn't make it any good.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#59 2016-02-21 05:05:11

formby1

Bop wrote:

Formby, I appricate your interest in what I wear, the feeling you need to save my sartorial soul is that out of kindness or are you trying to impose a world view? In the 5 or so years of posting on here I cant really remember anything you've ever used as an example as being anything I would personally choose to dress like. I use that to highlight the fact that it's no suprise that what I like then is not to your taste. Im more than willing to leave that there, if you feel like you need to continue down some path of righteousness well carry on, but Im genuinely not interested in making my ways more like yours. This thread isnt in the wardrobe or TI for the very reason that I dont think it fitted the theme of either section but knew there were people on here that would like to to talk shop.

You've brilliantly critiqued my shoes as to what you dont like and thats fine, but still within that whether I then choose to wear them, well that's up to me and like I said to be more like you is not my objective.

I have no intention of making you dress the way I do, that would be much too cruel, its up to you how you dress...but if you post stuff/opinion on a forum dedicated to the discussion of clothes then they' are very likely to be critiqued. It's the point of the forum.

And again, at risk of labouring the point, the look you are emulating/updating is a bad one. It doesn't look good, it didn't then, and it doesn't now.

You'll be wearing your jeans 'round your arse, drinking Fosters whilst munching on a packet of Quavers next...

...next stop the nearest Wetherspoons...

Souvent me Souvient

#60 2016-02-21 05:07:49

formby1

Bop wrote:

Orange is indeed a difficult colour for anything really... just found the green ones...they look great too..there is some quite satisfying about them...chunky curves, futuristic and retro at the same time..a nice balance

I have an Orange Gingham shirt, its fabulous...

...Burnt Orange is also a classic autumnal colour.

Bright Orange is difficult, for an adult.

Souvent me Souvient

#61 2016-02-21 05:19:24

Bop

The problem is not being critiqued Formby, Im just saying I dont agree with you..and we dont share the same tastes anyhow so its even less surprise .. I don't think trainers are a road to ruin...Whetherspoons, perhaps...Fosters definitely.

Last edited by Bop (2016-02-21 05:26:38)

#62 2016-02-21 05:30:27

formby1

Bop wrote:

The problem is not being critiqued Formby, Im just saying I dont agree with you..and we dont share the same tastes anyhow so its even less surprise .. I don't think trainers are a road to ruin...Whetherspoons, perhaps...Fosters definitely.

I'll take it you like Quavers then...

Souvent me Souvient

#63 2016-02-21 05:43:38

Bop

Im lactose intolerant...

Sadly..

sad

#64 2016-02-21 12:26:51

stanshall

formby1 wrote:

stanshall wrote:

I take him seriously, and I know what I'm talking about. You'll have to do do better than that...

Now if you are genuine you would push Ivy fans towards the good stuff, you aren't, you're creating a fantasy world a la Ralph Lauren.

And as I said earlier, because something was worn back in the day doesn't make it any good.

Heh heh Formbs, I don't want to upset our detente, but what do you know, you're not an Ivy prep American Studies major, you never lived in or spent time in any American cities or schools, colleges, or universities, yet you think the man in the white suit is infallible, but if you had any firsthand experience you'd recognize that piece as semi-hysterical hyperbole, entertaining at times but actually ignorant, which was surprising given that he should have understood the students' real dress influences given his experiences in 1965.  His idea of what the students were copying in Funky Chic missed the boat hilariously and showed how out of touch he was and that he was more interested in showing off than understanding what was really happening there, he got it wrong when the answer was so obvious and readily available a couple of doors north on Broadway and behind him to the southwest, on the Old Campus.  All he had to do to get it was look into any window ..... 

Anyway I think the Ivy fans here are doing very well, they don't really need my help, they're grown men for fuck's sake!

Particularly because I spend as much time as possible wearing long-sleeved t-shirts, poplin walk shorts, bathing suits, flip-flops, sneakers, and a baseball hat against the sun, and I like to dress far more casually than they do as a general rule, I think .... 

But back to sneakers, Bop's new N!kes are not the ones I would have chosen myself but I do know what look he's trying to achieve with them.

Personally I like Adidas Gazelles, I wish they were currently available with better construction.  Actually, like you, I've always been an Adidas man myself, and I'd rather wear sneakers than shoes anyday.  But there are in my opinion some good N!kes available at the moment, especially the Killshot Vintage, SB Blazer Low, and Air J0rdan 1 Retro Low OG.

Just ordered a pair of new Adidas in fact, black leather, white stripes, very classic .....

Maybe I'll get a pair or two of the N!kes I mentioned above tomorrow, really like them on the court, they're good athletic shoes.

Last edited by stanshall (2016-02-21 12:29:21)

#65 2016-02-21 14:16:50

formby1

stanshall wrote:

formby1 wrote:

stanshall wrote:

Heh heh Formbs, I don't want to upset our detente, but what do you know, you're not an Ivy prep American Studies major, you never lived in or spent time in any American cities or schools, colleges, or universities [...]

Are you being serious here? Do you really think I have to experience something first hand to know/talk about it? If you believe that, then you must also believe that history can only be written by those who experience it. Well, no more books on the Romans then.

As for Wolfe, being infallible, nobody is infallible...even me...but on the point stated he is correct. As for him being mean-spirited....so what? Nobody likes to have their ego's pricked, uncomfortable truths told. But this is what satirists do and that is what Wolfe is.

I've always found Americans reactions to Wolfe interesting and revealing. He's like a litmus test.

Souvent me Souvient

#66 2016-02-21 14:33:06

Bop

https://www.shelflife.co.za/pics/blog/thumbs/blog4.jpg

I think Im prefering orange to the green now. I think im going to have to go check them out in the flesh/nylon

Last edited by Bop (2016-02-21 14:34:57)

#67 2016-02-21 17:24:33

stanshall

formby1 wrote:

stanshall wrote:

formby1 wrote:

Heh heh Formbs, I don't want to upset our detente, but what do you know, you're not an Ivy prep American Studies major, you never lived in or spent time in any American cities or schools, colleges, or universities [...]

Are you being serious here? Do you really think I have to experience something first hand to know/talk about it? If you believe that, then you must also believe that history can only be written by those who experience it. Well, no more books on the Romans then

As for Wolfe, being infallible, nobody is infallible...even me...but on the point stated he is correct. As for him being mean-spirited....so what? [b]Nobody likes to have their ego's pricked, uncomfortable truths told. But this is what satirists do and that is what Wolfe is.

I've always found Americans reactions to Wolfe interesting and revealing. He's like a litmus test.

Of course one doesn't have to experience history to talk about it, but it helps to be informed, and you still don't know how, why or to what degree Wolfe failed to understand what was happening, but suffice to say he was behind the times and playing catch-up in Funky Chic and it shows in the missed connections he should have made but didn't get, particularly in light of his own earlier, better, work, he should have been able to figure out the students' true influences at the time, but he doesn't get there at all.  His illustrations in the volume and elsewhere, however, are always fantastic.   

But since you agree that Wolfe was prissy and mean-spirited and you acknowledge that you have no personal, firsthand experience with the country, time, or place he was writing about, we can leave it at that.

As to Wolfe, I actually like his non-fiction and his drawings lot.  As to litmus tests, one of mine is whether a person knows how to use apostrophes correctly. 

Back to sneakers, I wonder if Tom Wolfe ever wears or wore them and if so, which ones.

Last edited by stanshall (2016-02-21 23:54:16)

#68 2016-02-21 17:33:43

stanshall

Bop wrote:

https://www.shelflife.co.za/pics/blog/thumbs/blog4.jpg

I think Im prefering orange to the green now. I think im going to have to go check them out in the flesh/nylon

I'm not going to get them, I have enough running shoes already, but the J0rdans look promising to me ....

Bop, is your inbox full, tried to send you some sneaker stuff but couldn't, PM me at stanley s. hall when you get a chance.

Last edited by stanshall (2016-02-21 17:44:17)

#69 2016-02-21 23:13:55

Bop

Ahh so it is to be sure... freed some space up..post away.

#70 2016-02-22 01:41:04

Bop

An article for you both Ox and Stan...on the over-saturation of the Jordan repros..and how their sales have slowed..which hopefully might bring down their resale prices..bad news for collectors..but good news for buyers that want to just wear them

http://uk.complex.com/sneakers/2015/12/ … elling-out

#71 2016-02-22 04:12:40

Bop

Not collectors..i meant resellers

#72 2016-02-22 04:28:13

marlowe v2.0

formby1 wrote:

Bop wrote:

Ha.. unfortunately that was the whole thing I was going for..well not completely lurid, just doing a similar late 70's early 80s prep look but with the modern running shoe..not the retro ones that wouldve been worn at the time.... it was the mix of traditional and modern fabrics i like about that 70s prep look..but horses for course I think it works when the balance is right....i wouldnt wear the parka jacket with similar looking nylon trainers...these ones i have are a strange knitted mesh.

Yes, but have you considered that the 70s prep/Ivy look may have been crap? You shouldn't just wear something because it was worn back in the day. You're lurching dangerously close to iGent territory here, engaging in dress up. You have to learn to edit..

I think its interesting that many of you are (ex)Mods because you've still got that Mod sensibility, that Mod approach to dressing as part of an overall lifestyle choice...

What the HELL are you on about? You're being a a piece of salami, Formby. This is explicitly a sneaker thread in the NSFW forum...some of you guys really just don't get it...at all...

#73 2016-02-22 05:55:22

Bop

https://41.media.tumblr.com/f69b1a5dec4bfa2bc85fcad697f93318/tumblr_o2y948tRz51rdfv3xo1_400.jpg

Stanshall..Ive hunted this colourway for the Pegasus 83 for the best part of 4 months and today found a pair deep in darkest Soho.. my mission is complete, and are probably the only pair of retros Ill buy for a while, It was these shoes that got me back into liking trainers again.

Last edited by Bop (2016-02-22 05:56:15)

#74 2016-02-22 06:25:24

Bop

To be fair to Formby he didnt say he didnt like trainers..just the running ones worn casually...id argue there is just too much choice in design to lumber them all into one category but whatever trevor I think the ones I own are a good balance between interesting and not too in your face

#75 2016-02-22 06:45:24

Bop

As for the prep thing its just a style...

Pop Art was thought naive by people such as Rothko, doesn't mean their isnt good and bad Pop Art. Still ruled by the same principles just a diffetent style expressing something else..I dont want to be urbane..or man at Cordings...its not me..Im Brian Wilson, Stephen Stills, Eric B and Rakim

You're reality is just as much a construct as mine Formby..dont delude yourself

Your duty is to express yourself..that is all.....

*Segue into NWA"

Last edited by Bop (2016-02-22 07:05:30)

Board footer