You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-03 09:21:09

Kingston1an

David Cameron's blue check shirt

I have only just noticed him wearing this on consecutive days. He either has a number of them or they get worn for more than one day.

BBC spotted it last year
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-31606545

I don't think he is interested in clothes. Holiday means navy blue polo shirt at all times.

Not sure why he has been put into blue check though. Plain blue is less noticeable.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2016-02-03 17:14:06

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: David Cameron's blue check shirt

Politicians dress to avoid frightening the lowest common denominator (which these days is very low) and to avoid providing ammo for those who hate them and want to criticize their everything. Ironic because at the same time dribbling idiots mock politicians they soon after imitate them and believe it's the only correct thing to wear. Thus the fears and insecurities of the mob reinforce and justify themselves. I think this is the democratic mediocrity Baudelaire spoke of.

#3 2016-02-04 04:13:23

Beestonplace

Actually, a high quality blue polo shirt can be a flattering piece of clothing for a man.

Our old discussion - "interesting" clothes do not make its wearer's personality interesting.

I LOVE , this foum

#4 2016-02-05 16:07:04

TakasakiJeff

Having been involved in politics long ago, you are taught that small/tight patterns are a no-no as they result in wavy distortion when on TV.  This (along with some cultural stereotypes) explains the absence of pinstripes, small checks, herringbones, and similar in the average political wardrobe and the tendency to plain block colours. Might be less of an issue in these HDTV days, but I think the habits die hard.  Cameron's checks are just at the borderline of suitability.  Any smaller and they would cause mayhem under the cameras.

I have to say it is something that stays with me still, despite having been out of that world for many a long year, and my own wardrobe is weighted towards plain blue/grey suits and plain ties, with only large stripes/checks in the shirts.

#5 2016-02-06 03:52:39

Kingston1an

Prince of Wales check did not look good on TV.

The problem with blue checks is you are more likely to question if it is the same shirt worn throughout the week. Owning a number of plain blue shirts would be more usual than having several shirts in exactly the same check. Politicians are still expected to ring the changes on a daily basis - despite austerity.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2016-02-06 08:20:56

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#7 2016-02-06 09:55:37

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Being dressed by the missus - a sure sign of adult baby syndrome.

Who in their right mind would go into a Gap changing room and wait for your missus to pass you some clothes? He's pulling our leg.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2016-02-07 05:40:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#9 2016-02-07 06:25:01

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#10 2016-02-07 09:11:02

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2016-02-07 09:36:33

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#12 2016-02-07 09:52:19

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#13 2016-02-07 10:11:37

doghouse

#14 2016-02-07 10:16:04

doghouse

#15 2016-02-07 10:26:23

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#16 2016-02-07 10:57:05

doghouse

#17 2016-02-07 11:10:46

formby1

YELLOW SOCKS ARE OUT....!!!!!

This current obsession with 'authenticity' is merely marketing spin...

...for if we were to be our 'authentic selves' chaos would quickly ensue....its back to Rousseau's Noble Savage......bloody guttersnipe.

...I'm all for superficiality meself......we need more of it!!! as Billy said: all the world is a stage..and we should dress and play for our many roles, accordingly.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#18 2016-02-07 11:16:53

doghouse

#19 2016-02-07 11:30:23

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#20 2016-02-07 12:36:24

doghouse

Yeah it matters some. Of course the country won't stop suddenly, but we would miss out on the chance to progress and would probably deal with some unfortunate incidents that could have been avoided.

Obama is a good example. He is a fairly intelligent guy who I think is trying to do the right thing, but his complete ineptitude at the business of politics has done an immeasurable amount of damage in lost opportunity. If he had Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan's persuasiveness, he would be unstoppable.

And these idiots are like him on steroids, minus the intellect.

Also, Eisenhower was one of our best presidents.

#21 2016-02-07 12:37:32

doghouse

Good news on the Liverpool scene too.

#22 2016-02-07 13:26:13

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#23 2016-02-07 13:42:27

doghouse

#24 2016-02-07 13:52:16

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#25 2016-02-07 14:00:40

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

Board footer