You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-11 14:54:35

Kennedy

Bologna

I'm visiting the Italian city in a few weeks. Anyone been?

I'm planning a visit to De Paz naturally but wondering if there's anywhere else I should visit for my Italian Ivy needs? Any chain stores with branches in Bologna worth visiting?

#2 2016-04-11 15:09:32

Yuca

Re: Bologna

I was there in 1990. I had a great time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Yuca (2016-04-11 15:09:46)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#3 2016-04-11 15:15:30

Chipper

#4 2016-04-13 04:41:38

Leer R.

Generally you can find nice BDs and loafers in Italy... also knit ties. I you don't mind darts, you can also find some natural shouldered sports coats... Ivy? 'Not really there. Stuff that works within the Ivy spectrum? Yeah, probably - driving mocs, bucks, chinos...

#5 2016-04-13 05:41:47

Kingston1an

I will be going to Bologna in May.

Scoff rather than clobber will be my priority.

I last passed through Bologna in the 1970s kipped on a park bench. A Harrington does not keep you warm enough during the night.

Sicily first. Scoff over clobber again.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#6 2016-04-14 13:29:22

Kennedy

Thanks all

De Paz certainly used to do a good line in BDs and Shetlands, loafers, desires and ties. Need to see what their stock is like these days.

Clobber is further down my list than food, wine and football but it would be rude not to see what's available.

#7 2016-04-14 23:59:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Good stuff in Italy costs the same as elsewhere, if you go to the lower and mid-range though, you will be able to come back with lots of clobber for a reasonable price. The Venice McArthur Glenn Outlet Village is particularly good if you like RTW Brioni. A lot of towns have a few tailors more so than equivalent sized towns in northern Europe, that's for sure. I don't rate Italy on the shoe front, you're not getting anything you can source elsewhere to a higher quality.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2016-05-04 04:46:03

Kingston1an

Kennedy,

Any feedback from your trip? I am off there next week.

I will be with friends who are better in a pub or restaurant than site seeing. They used to be slow, but have got even worse. Hop on hop off bus beckons. It would be rude for us to leave them to their own devices but I am reminded why I have avoided other trips with them. I would be up and have already got a round of golf in before they stir from the accommodation. Not morning people.

Sicily was good but the scoff is better in Spain. Cannot beat menu del dia and fish is better in Spain too. Even in Madrid which is a long way from the sea.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2016-05-04 05:20:27

Kennedy

It's this weekend. I'll report back on anything useful.

#10 2016-05-04 06:24:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#11 2016-05-04 09:01:41

Kingston1an

#12 2016-05-04 09:04:17

Kingston1an

#13 2016-05-04 10:28:48

Acton_Baby

My take on Bologna

Avoid the hotel and breakfast light, just grab a 'torta di Riso' and a frothy coffee from a street stand
and then go the 'whole hog' at lunchtime....

A 'tagliere' is on most good menus, a plate of local/regional style coldcuts and nibbles, a great way of trying a few different things.

Fresh egg pasta is the best of the best, the tortellini variations are worth investigating ( ' alla brodo' and 'alla panna' are my faves).

Tinned and preserved fish is very good ( loads of trad local recipes seem to add a least a couple of anchovies to everything) but the region doesn't have a great tradition of fresh fish cookery.

Mortadella, mortadella and mortadella ( with truffles, olives, pimentos) loads of different versions to try and all lovely.

Have a cracking trip.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#14 2016-05-04 11:26:06

Kingston1an

^ Pasta and pizza were fine Sicily. Perhaps I was expecting too much?

Pasta Alla Norma (named after the Bellini opera. He was Sicilian)

Caponata too. It did not seem that difficult to prepare though just another variation on aubergines.

#15 2016-05-04 11:32:14

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

If museums are your bag, then I'd suggest a visit to the Museo Giorgio Morandi. A famous local artist who lived, worked, and died in Bologna. You can also see some of his paintings on display in a palazzo in the Piazza Maggiore, a large square where the locals hang out & drink coffee.

Also head for the historical centre ‘centro storico’. It has a vast webbing of arcades that feel atmospheric, although a bit enclosed, but they are ideal if the weather's a bit hit and miss with rain.

Enjoy your travels

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#16 2016-05-04 11:39:50

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#17 2016-05-04 12:42:11

Kingston1an

#18 2016-05-04 12:50:12

Kingston1an

#19 2016-05-04 15:56:20

Kennedy

#20 2016-05-04 16:09:47

Kennedy

#21 2016-05-05 10:05:27

Acton_Baby

just to add something other than food,
two shops worth a look are Barrow and BIBA's, both owned by the same guy and usually have some interesting stuff.

'Bologna construction' shoes are interesting but can be a nightmare to get resoled anywhere else in the world (there's only one place I know of in London and because of a recent retirement even they now have to send them back to Italy for repairs).

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#22 2016-05-10 15:45:50

Kennedy

De Paz had some nice stuff. Plain and cable Shetlands, seersucker button downs, soft shouldered (darted) blazers. A few interesting mid-range shops in the streets south of Piazza Magiorre. A few shops had Bass Weejuns at good prices too. Not a great city for shopping but it made for a diverting couple of hours.

Good city for a short break though. Nice range of bars and restaurants.

#23 2016-05-11 01:09:14

Kingston1an

Jamieson brushed Shetlands in bright colours including orange. Five for 400 euros or around 100 each.

Weejuns 178 euros !!!!!!!

Smaller shop than it looks on the net. But there is another branch off via Urbana and a women's clothing branch.

Saw Florsheim imperial venetians on via indepenizia ( spelling) plus original Saxone loafers as well.

Off to catch the kiddie style train up to San Luca now.

Scoff excellent.

#24 2016-05-13 14:11:18

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Staying with the Italian theme; we just returned from a long weekend in Milan with friends. Of course the ladies loved the designer shops - nothing there for the ivy man sadly. Plenty of   Italian style menswear shops about so I picked up a couple of reasonable knit ties, oh and some cheap Persols. Leaving aside shopping, I really enjoyed Milan, it's a working city rather than a tourist destination and had a real buzz. Loads of good bars, caffs and restaurants to cater for the workers who all seem to stop for a sit down lunch every day. I was well impressed with the general standard of dress, most people seemed to be making an effort and, despite all the scoffing, they are noticeably slimmer  than the Brit population. In the fashion districts we spotted a few outrageous dandies and some impeccable older gents. There were a lot of business people staying in our hotel and it was nice to see that Italian men do not seem to have slipped into the horrible 'open neck white shirt with a blue suit' habit that besets the City of London. Restrained grey Italian natural shoulder suits, immaculately worn with loafers, pocket handkerchief, narrow tie - good to see. Plenty of art noveau and modernist architecture to be seen and a stunning cathedral. A good destination for a short break if you haven't been.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#25 2016-05-13 19:07:55

captainpreppy

Board footer