You are not logged in.

#26 2016-05-14 03:08:30

Kingston1an

Re: Bologna

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#27 2016-05-14 03:23:42

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

You also get the red pants brigade too.

You probably do get the most dandified dressers in Milan, elsewhere it's marginly better or the same as elsewhere in Europe. Awful climate though Milan, miserable misty and cold in winter, red hot in the summer.

The Italian ownership of Brooks Brothers has brought them into Italy. I got some good pants, several pairsm from the outlet store in the Venice outlet village a couple of years back, sadly too small for me now.

A savage and terrible process of deindustrialisation going on in Italy at the moment, they desperately need to break out of the confines of the Euro and devalue to make themselves competitive again. The alternative is ruin. Hopefully the Brits will inspire them next month!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#28 2016-05-14 03:52:39

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I did spot a couple of Brothers Brothers branches and a Florsheim shop but never got to into them. Sadly the female half of the couple we went with kept us on a perpetual foraging expedition for food and drink, preferably as indulgent and expensive as possible, puntuated by designer retail therapy hits to assuage her feelings of self loathing stemming from excess weight and an early decline. Fortunately the male half and I managed to escape and do boys stuff a couple of times. It won't be happening again, you see a different side to people when you spend a few days in their company.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#29 2016-05-14 04:31:53

Yuca

I've been to Milan a couple of times recently and agree with your assessment - it is a stylish place in many respects. Not that much to do there though really, if you're a visitor. Could be a good place to live though - I don't mind the climate. Their winter is cold, but spring and autumn are like our summer at its best, and their summer is proper holiday weather.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#30 2016-05-14 15:53:55

The French Quarter

Nice old railway station in Bologna,made famous by the clock which stopped at 10.25 when the station was bombed by a terrorist group.
Italian trains are mad,no standing on ceremony there,no excuse me just get out my way and let me on the train. A mad crush on the platform...crazy.

#31 2016-05-15 03:21:23

Kingston1an

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#32 2016-05-15 03:30:24

Kingston1an

#33 2016-05-15 04:22:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#34 2016-05-22 03:05:17

Kingston1an

Rick Stein did an hour long programme on Bologna in Friday. I do not normally watch food programmes but interesting to compare notes.

He was in Osteria del sole. I walked up and down the street trying to find that place with no success. Now I know it has no sign outside. Looked OK on TV though. Buy a beer or wine and bring your own food from the market around you.

#35 2016-05-22 04:01:13

Kennedy

#36 2016-05-22 04:13:34

Kingston1an

Yes.

Kate did not like Osteria del Orsa though. 'Too studenty'.

I would like to try del Sole. Get in early, grab a table and send out for provisions. Slight problem is we would not be able to bring the brown handled knife back in hand luggage. When we had a picnic on the beach in Dieppe we had a car, so cutlery and plates were not wasted. Unless the bar provides cutlery of course? I hate picnics and barbecues anyway but eating your own grub in a bar is completely different.

I would go back to Bologna - but Pisa is an easy trip from Gatwick so probably do that with Lucca and maybe Siena first.

Board footer