You are not logged in.

#26 2016-11-06 12:20:19

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: C&J: Shoes for longer walks in town (3-4 hours)

woofboxer wrote:

4F Hepcat wrote:

I even stumbled across a dogging arena in the night.

Yeh, right.....that's what they alll say Hepcat.   

wink

I kid you not! I was visiting friends in an area that was supposed to be getting gentrified for the last ten years, lots of hype and restaurants opening and then closing and now its getting a little bit more grotty, but in these times we would describe this in the euphemisms of "vibrant" and "diverse" which means anything but. Sad really and no wonder they've just bought a guard dog, great house can't fault that, they are talking about getting out and who can blame them as that area is going one way as is the rest of the centre of the Hague. White or middle class of all races and denominations in flight, you can call it what you want, but the money is moving out to the suburbs. As shopping moves online and the home becomes a total entertainment unit the thrall of the city, at least of mediocre cities, like The Hague, is gone. They can't compete. A little later than many cities in the UK.

Anyway, the dogging arena was much further on, much further towards the end of my 3.5 hour trek. Somehow I got disorientated on a country bike path and took a wrong turn which took me past a leisure centre in the next village to me which had a large car park, spectacularly lit and there were the last two cars in the dogging arena with a couple getting it on and another watching. An ugly and rather macabre spectacle considering age and size.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#27 2016-11-06 12:26:27

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Beestonplace wrote:

Heppy please do me a favour and don't walk around town alone, especially when drunk. That is not good.

Fear not, I have an uncanny almost supernatural sense of when things are going to kick-off. Still, you're right a 45+ year old should not be skirting the danger zones of the city late at night.

#28 2016-11-06 14:43:43

Beestonplace

I have now spent the whole day in my new boots, very good so far. Not overly elegant but perfect weekend style. I have also bought a pair of the traditional Tods drivers shoes (in brown), to replace my igent velvet slippers by Church which are 1/2 size too small, hence I roam around my place in socks.

#29 2016-12-24 04:50:33

Beestonplace

So, after a few weeks my opinion has changed. I am wearing leather soled shoes 95% of the time. Plastic soles dont breathe, and it feels as if my feet are hermetically sealed in a plastic bag. Will wear them out but not replace them ,

#30 2016-12-26 00:35:29

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Don't you find leather soles absorb all the dampness from the street this time of year? 8-9 months of the year, it's pretty much absurd to wear anything other than rubber soles over here. I keep my leather soles strictly for the summer season.

#31 2016-12-26 02:21:06

Beestonplace

Whose side are you on????

#32 2016-12-26 02:34:55

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

4F Hepcat wrote:

Don't you find leather soles absorb all the dampness from the street this time of year? 8-9 months of the year, it's pretty much absurd to wear anything other than rubber soles over here. I keep my leather soles strictly for the summer season.

Not to mention the safety angle of leather soles on wet pavements.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#33 2016-12-27 13:47:02

Beestonplace

True - that almost killed me once

#34 2016-12-28 00:10:06

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Highly waxed and polished marble floors in the entrance foyers of large corporations are another tricky obstacle for the leather sole wearer.

#35 2016-12-28 01:23:14

Beestonplace

Unlike some others here I am far too narrow minded and lower class (as you can see from by shirt choices) to frequent such environments. With my play-it-safe white and blue shirts, I merely make it to the equally narrow-minded mom-and-pop shops and their not very waxed and polished entrance "foyers".

Oh, man, I would love it if someone would "notice" me.

#36 2016-12-28 14:26:59

Beestonplace

Ok am going to be in London soon, will try C&Js simple chukkas, which one are the classics (i.e. non-englongated toe box etc)?

#37 2016-12-28 15:11:02

Yuca

Beestonplace wrote:

So, after a few weeks my opinion has changed. I am wearing leather soled shoes 95% of the time. Plastic soles dont breathe, and it feels as if my feet are hermetically sealed in a plastic bag. Will wear them out but not replace them ,

Unless it's boot weather (or you're playing a sport), leather soles are the only option.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#38 2016-12-28 17:46:27

Kingston1an

Yuca wrote:

Beestonplace wrote:

Unless it's boot weather (or you're playing a sport), leather soles are the only option.

I don't see anything wrong with a Woolworth stick on sole - or nowadays a Topy. If you can get Dainite on a decent shoe/boot fine. If it is a funeral, wedding or more formal occasion I will stick with a leather sole from a decent maker - Church's consul, C&J etc. If it is a Bexley or similar then rubber soles/Topy after a couple of wears.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#39 2016-12-29 00:07:09

Beestonplace

I am talking about Tods boots whose sole is made from plastic. I think the answer is "leather sole with an additional rubber patch glued on".

#40 2016-12-30 01:03:07

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Beestonplace wrote:

Ok am going to be in London soon, will try C&Js simple chukkas, which one are the classics (i.e. non-englongated toe box etc)?

I have two C&J's Brecon chukka boots, one in black from circa 1995 and still going strong and another pair from 2005 in dark chestnut (after I've darkened them) country grain which I bought just before taking the missus to Paris. Superb shoes, for simple longevity they cannot be beaten.

The black pair have some wear on the inside near the heel with the first layer of leather worn in one part, which I will get fixed easily. Other than that and the need to eventually resole, these blighters will just keep chukking along for the next 20-30 years.

#41 2016-12-30 01:39:00

Beestonplace

Thanks!

Black chukkas look a bit odd - that is what "smart" Dutch or German IT executives would wear with a suit.

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product … -darkbrown

These look nice.

Any opinions re suede?

#42 2016-12-30 02:48:26

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Suede is always good if you're an ex-Guards major, or you wish to channel The Smiths look circa 1985. Pair with red pants if you seriously wish to display your ex-military credentials.

Seriously, nothing wrong with suede shoes, I am fan.

#43 2016-12-30 03:20:12

Beestonplace

Well, I am not ex Guards and quite realistic about the fact that wearing ex guards kit doesn't make you ex Guards (sorry, dear Americans).

Dark brown suede looks nice with cream chinos and a navy cashmere sweater.

#44 2016-12-30 10:02:51

Yuca

Kingston1an wrote:

Yuca wrote:

Beestonplace wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with a Woolworth stick on sole - or nowadays a Topy. If you can get Dainite on a decent shoe/boot fine. If it is a funeral, wedding or more formal occasion I will stick with a leather sole from a decent maker - Church's consul, C&J etc. If it is a Bexley or similar then rubber soles/Topy after a couple of wears.

If Topy floats your boat then good for you, but I do more walking than any of you (possibly more than all of you put together) and leather soles suit me fine. My cobbler persuaded me to go to rubber heels but I think I will return to leather heels too.

I've had this conversation on here plenty of times already so I won't expand on the topic any further.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#45 2016-12-30 10:24:55

Beestonplace

Leather soles are great for walking - this comes from someone who is about to bin his Tods boots with plastic sole (made entirely from plastic, not just the final layer).

Seriously, Tods - and the same goes for F'gamo. Ever had a look at their mens shoes???

#46 2017-01-14 05:05:41

Beestonplace

Question:

These:
http://cdn.styleforum.net/0/0e/0e4f9b05_image.jpeg
would be my choice for October-March casual walking shoes.

What do you think? Benchgrades? Worth the extra cost to have them made in Chestnut (which I want) and with Dainites?

#47 2017-01-15 10:23:35

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Yes, definitely in chestnut and with Dainites.

#48 2017-01-15 10:39:41

Beestonplace

Yes Heppy but where is the downside, where are your concerns?

#49 2017-02-24 14:46:16

Beestonplace

It was me who was rushing up Avenue Montaigne in black C&J Audleys today. In rain. With a too heavy Chapman bag.

#50 2017-02-27 02:20:12

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Beestonplace wrote:

Yes Heppy but where is the downside, where are your concerns?

No real concerns.

Board footer