You are not logged in.

#26 2016-05-22 12:02:49

Chévere

Re: It is a simple as that!

Last edited by Chévere (2016-05-22 12:11:35)

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#27 2016-05-24 06:50:05

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

What a delightful review and interesting in comparison to Ralfy's own take and scoring on JW Blue Label. 

Be wary of the latest releases of Port Ellen though, they're not as good as the one's from a few years back and the prices have gone through the roof. Likely all the good casks that remain are already gone. The best bottle of whisky I ever had was Port Ellen one from around 10 years ago now, cost €120 and was well worth it. I drank 3/4 of a bottle and got up and went soundly to work the next morning. It was the missing link between the Islay malts and Speysides. Magnificent! Next one I bought was around 100 Euros more and nowhere near as good. At the wine merchants I go to in Delft, they've broken the €500 mark and some well over a grand now.

Whisky's become too much of a collectors game now. A bottle of 1937 calvados will cost you €387, a bottle of whisky from the same period €3,387.00, if not another couple of grand. I've asked my wine merchant who buys all the really ancient and expensive whiskies and he confirms it is collectors and not for drinking. A shame really.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#28 2016-05-24 07:33:35

Kingston1an

Last edited by Kingston1an (2016-05-24 07:37:50)

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#29 2016-05-24 12:48:32

Beestonplace

Very interesting discussion.

I totally agree re Duty Free entry level whiskies. And I think the same about Gin - a good G&T requires gin and tonic, of course, but also a chilled glass and some other things. Once mixed with tonic and lime slice I doubt I can taste any nuances of the gin in it.

Different opinion on brandy - for example the cheaper Schladerer cherry/fruit brandy tastes notably "scratchier" in the throat than my #1 favourite Ziegler Wildkirsche No 1.

I LOVE , this foum

#30 2016-05-24 23:53:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The range of gin these days is outstanding, I sampled a very heavily grapefruited one yesterday and well, yes, it had a bit of pink grapefruit about it in colour and taste, but after tonic? Cheap gins benefit from a dash, or even saturation in Angostura bitters and plenty of ice. A proper pink gin also works as a whisky replacement, but you need six or seven extra large dashes of the bitters and swirl it around the glass covering the inside and then turn upside down and let the residue drip out. Of the cheaper gins I avoid Gordon's, but think Beefeater and Beefeater 24 is pretty much acceptable.

Plenty of people consider that premium and craft gins are a load of old cobblers and I think the delta between an average and expensive gin is quite small in terms of taste and quality. I've a bottle of the Hayman distillery's Royal Dock of Deptford Navy Strength Gin at the moment. At 57% and 39.9 units. Haven't tried it yet, but likely will give it a go tonight. Pretty reasonable too at Euros 23.95. There's also Dutch Courage over here, produced by the Zuidam distillery which is a great premium gin in the London style. Plenty of Dutch gins around at the moment, but actually they're much too close to Genever for comfort. Too earthy and archaic by far.

There's a ginger version of Angosturo bitters, I might get some of this and experiment with gin. I also don't rate gin in the old style cocktails, I think vodka makes a much better alternative. Gin is best in the humble gin and tonic.

The other thing you need to be mindful of with gin, is it's ability to turn grown men into morbid melancholics and when they start weeping, you probably should have gone to dinner earlier. I know people who drink a bottle in one sitting, half a bottle religiously every evening lashed with tonic, but when the whether is hot, I find one or two, never three, is just the ticket before dinner.

#31 2016-05-25 12:41:59

formby1

You can tell the differences between Gins, some differences are quite stark.

Its easy to taste the difference between Tanqueray and Plymouth Gins. Tank is the quintessential London Dry, whereas Plymouth is, quite literally, in class of its own. Both superb.

Some of the 'Boutique' gins are foul...some, interesting. I've recently been enjoying Thomas Dakin Gin (Manchester), which is flavoured with Red Cole (Horseradish) amongst other botanicals and the Horseradish is quite prominent, to my 'educated' palate on the finish.

I've also been partaking of quite a bit of Tequila as of late, I'm quite partial to a 'rita or four...

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#32 2016-05-25 13:09:12

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#33 2016-05-25 13:11:36

Beestonplace

So - my Cordo friends will have to take a break for Summertime.

just too hot

I LOVE , this foum

#34 2016-05-25 20:40:27

Chévere

Hep, I have been experimenting with the newer "craft" gins.
It seems like they are indeed going the Genever route with herbals and barrel aging.
It's getting close to summertime and there his one here in the US called Bar Hill. It is distilled by the same company that owns an apiary and they use a lot of the herbs the bees feast on. The barrel aged version (Tomcat) is my fave, and in a gin and tonic it gives it a hint of a creamy texture and honey.
It is not your typical Gin and Tonic, but it is delicious.
My mom is coming to visit in July and she is a Hendricks gal and will indeed drink half a bottle a day (at age 84!).

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#35 2016-05-26 00:41:26

Beestonplace

Your mother rocks.

I LOVE , this foum

#36 2016-05-26 00:56:22

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#37 2016-05-26 01:16:23

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#38 2016-05-27 00:09:17

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

If you liked Asbach, you'll love Sternmarke.

#39 2016-06-04 03:16:40

Beestonplace

Asbach is for old people.

In summer, my #1 drink is Grüner Veltliner.

I LOVE , this foum

#40 2016-06-04 10:47:06

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I've been off white wines for ages, my palate for whites is still back in the days of heavily oaked and creamy Chardonnay. There's nothing quite like getting lashed on white wine when you are in the mood.

There's a really cheap Dutch brandy, Vieux or something, apparently it's completely chemical. At least with Asbach you know it's grape. I've asked at a number of wine merchants and they all warn me and tell me they only sell it to OAPs who mix it with Coca Cola.

#41 2016-10-22 06:37:00

Beestonplace

A rainy day. A walk into city centre, rolling solo, FT weekend and sushi and Diet Pepsi, a blast with the sports car, some silence.

C&Js, N. Peal jumper, Hackett jacket, old comfortavle PRL chino, a PP back from Geneva's service.  I am so grateful for being able to enjoy great stuff made ny knowledgable people.

I LOVE , this foum

#42 2016-10-24 08:36:54

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#43 2016-10-30 06:00:31

Beestonplace

And many great things great minds have created are either to be enjoyed for free, or almost free. Think of music, literature, arts.

And the nameless cobbler who has built all my C&Js - what a great guy.

I LOVE , this foum

#44 2016-11-02 03:05:37

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#45 2016-11-02 04:02:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Pepsi and Coca Cola are indeed great products, made by knowledgeable people, but only a few know the exact ingredients. Bill Bryson strikes me as warm real ale fan, looks the type.

I don't touch the diet stuff myself, too much sorbitol sends my stomach into irritable bowel territory.

#46 2016-11-02 14:03:10

Beestonplace

yuca, noone other than you called bryson a "twat".

some simple ubiquious consumer products can be nice, when they are classic staples. 501, marlboro lights, coke. totally unironic hipster free, unless you see it as "normcore".

I LOVE , this foum

#47 2016-11-02 14:23:01

Yuca

501s are crap compared to what they used to be, which is what made them iconic. The LVC repros are pretty good though, albeit way too expensive for my tastes. Coke and Pepsi are poison imo but whatever floats your boat. Marlboro Lights are 'nice' if you smoke and don't want to give up I suppose, to non-smokers and plenty of smokers who would rather not be smokers, they are revolting.

C&J shoes are often superb though!

some sort of banal legitimacy

#48 2016-11-02 14:46:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#49 2016-11-02 15:01:03

Beestonplace

indeed. craft coke, anyone?

I LOVE , this foum