You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-16 15:39:54

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Boris Johnson

Lambasted as a 'tin pot Churchill' after comparing the EU to Hitler - he's always struck me as a cynical populist but much of what he is saying here on his Facebook page will chime with the general population:

'At last year’s Tory Party conference I drew attention to a worrying statistic about the way our society is changing. It is the number of times the salary of the average FTSE100 top executive exceeds that of the average – the average – employee in that company. This multiple appears to be taking off, at an extraordinary, inexplicable and frankly nostril-wrinkling rate.
Plato said no one should earn more than five times anyone else. Well, Plato would have been amazed by the growth in corporate inequality today. In 1980 the multiple was 25. By 1998 it had risen to 47. After 10 years of Tony Blair and Peter Mandelson – and their “intensely relaxed” attitude to getting “filthy rich” – the top executives of big UK firms were earning 120 times the average pay of the shop floor. Last year it was 130 times.
This year – cue a fusillade of champagne corks – the fat cats have broken through the magic 150 barrier. The average FTSE100 CEO is taking home 150 times as much as his or her average employee – and in some cases far more. Let us make no bones about it: these people have so much more money than other people in the same company that they are flying in private jets and building subterranean swimming pools, while many of their employees cannot afford to buy any kind of home at all. There is one gentleman out there who is on 810 times the average of his employees.
What is going on? Is it just greed, or mutual back-scratching of the remuneration committees? No doubt they will tell us, as ever, that this is the “going rate in the market”. But I notice one other point about these FTSE100 men (and I am afraid they are almost always men): that they are only too happy to parade through Downing Street and declare their undying devotion to the EU. They happily sign letters to the papers, explaining how vital it is that we Remain. They must think that the EU is good for their business.
But how, exactly? The Single Market is a microcosm of low growth. It is blighted by chronically high unemployment. The EU countries have been outperformed for growth by the rest of the OECD countries; and it is a stunning fact that there are 27 non-EU countries that enjoyed faster growth in exporting goods to the EU than Britain, since the start of the Single Market in 1992, and 20 that have done better at exporting services. Membership is far from conspicuously brilliant for UK Plc.
So what is it these fat cats like about the EU? Broadly two things. They like uncontrolled immigration, because it helps to keep wages down at the bottom end and so to control costs, and therefore to ensure that there is even more dosh for those at the top. A steady supply of hard-working immigrant labour means they don’t have to worry quite so much about the skills or aspirations or self-confidence of young people growing up in this country. And as denizens of Learjets and executive lounges, they are not usually exposed to some of the pressures of large-scale immigration, such as in A&E, or schools, or housing.
Then there is a more insidious reason – that the whole EU system of regulation is so remote and opaque that they are able to use it to their advantage, to maintain their oligarchic position and, by keeping out competition, to push their pay packets even higher.
In their brilliant book Why Nations Fail, Daron Acemoglu and James A Robinson explain how transparent political institutions are essential for innovation and economic growth. They make the distinction between “inclusive” societies, where people feel involved in their democracies and their economies, and “extractive” societies, where the system is increasingly gamed by an elite, for their own financial advantage. The EU is starting to take on some of the features of an “extractive” society. It is dominated by a group of powerful international civil servants, lobbyists and business people.
These people, on the whole, know who each other are. In the case of big business, they can afford to hire someone to follow the regulation that comes out of Brussels. They can fix a meeting with the Commissioner responsible. They may even meet him or her at some conference or event – Davos being the most famous. In that respect they have an immense advantage over the vast majority of businesses in this country.
Most businesses (in fact most Britons) have absolutely no idea who works in the Commission, or how to get in touch with them, and they wouldn’t know their Euro-MP from the man in the moon. Only 6 per cent of UK businesses actually export to the EU, and yet 100 per cent of them have to comply with 100 per cent of EU law, whether they are large businesses or small – a regulatory burden that costs about £600 million per week.
Last week I visited Reid Steel, a British success story in Christchurch, Dorset. They export steel for bridges in Sudan, hotels in Mauritius, aircraft hangars in Mongolia. The only thing that was holding them back, they said, was EU regulation – generated by an inscrutable process involving fat cat lobbyists and fat cat businesses and the governments of other countries. They are desperate to get out of the EU, and they are right. They believe the other EU countries would rapidly do a free trade deal, and an unshackled British business sector would probably export more to the rest of Europe than it does today.
Of course, the FTSE100 fat cats will sign up for remaining in the EU: they are getting personally richer and richer – by mainlining immigrant labour for their firms and manipulating EU regulation that only the big players can understand – while those at the bottom have seen a real terms fall in their wages. It is one of the reasons that the EU has such low innovation, low productivity, and low growth. If you want to back the entrepreneurs, the grafters, the workers, the innovators, the burgeoning and dynamic businesses of Britain – then Vote Leave on June 23, and give this cabal the kick in the pants they deserve.'

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2016-05-17 01:35:21

Kingston1an

Re: Boris Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWUmSbt0Ms

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#3 2016-05-17 02:46:47

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#4 2016-05-17 03:08:00

Acton_Baby

Boris is a good writer, an efficient orator and on occasion skilled debater , but consistency has never been his strongpoint.

The criticism above of "The Single Market is a microcosm of low growth" was according to Boris only 18 months ago " Europe's consistent and continued steady growth has helped us avoid the worst effects 'boom then bust' seen in the rest of the world "....
What's really interesting there is both statements incorrect.

He's tied his raft to a bunch of 'old school' Tories, media owners and some very 'new money' from the hedge fund sector, who he sees as his ticket to the leadership of the Tory party,
all the while not realising it's his reputation as being a bit of a clown and his notoriety as a 'pork swordsman' that has held him back from the leadership role.
More worryingly is that all the UK daily newspapers have groaning files of his misdemeanours ready to nail to the mast if he goes rogue/off message- so controlled by the media owned by Australians and serial tax-dodgers - this doesn't seem to me to be an attractive option for a potential World Leader.

Outside the UK he's seen as conforming to all the stereotypes of 'Bumbling Brit' and as a political extension of the 'Mr Bean' brand.
He might start WW3 but he'll do it by accident, flailing his arms about trying to make a funny point, and he'll be very apologetic about it afterwards.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#5 2016-05-17 05:02:44

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I think with Europe's history, we can all agree that a united Europe under democracy with a common market is a very good thing. The problem with the EU is that it is no longer democratic. It's incapable of reform and bringing extreme depression era, if not pre-revolutionary levels of unemployment, reinforced with uncompetitiveness that relegates many member states to remain in depression for all eternity - there is simply no way out. Meanwhile, Germany prospers and has such power that it unilaterally declared Europe open to all and sundry last year with all the social chaos, expense and security risks we all now face. Thanks a bunch! Merkel's grovelling to Erdogen hasn't gone down too well in these here parts either.

Ultimately, Thatcher has been proven right, the single currency and the present EU will fail. Hence all the moves to creat a federal superstate, which will also fail, as the needs and realities between members are too disparate.

I work in a globalized business and prosper from this and many of my colleagues are aghast at the prospect of a return to national borders and soveriegnty and the implications to just-in-time delivery, import duties and waiting at the borders for several hours. I also see first hand that not being in the EU does not hinder Indian nationals coming into mainland Europe to work in the oil & gas and engineering sectors, so I don't necessarily agree that talent will not be able to work abroad with a Brexit.

My gripe with the current EU is that it poses a danger to my future and certainly my daughters liberties and cannot and will not guarantee our security. In which case, I am all for a return to the consensus of national states and borders.

If Britain stays in, or exits it will all work in Boris's favour. The flashpoints for crisis are well developed and Boris will be able to say, 'I told you so!' when then proverbial starts hitting the fan as it already is in several countries.

Ultimately, the dominoes will fall one by one, if Britain is not the first to go, then others will act as pointmen. Do you really think the Italians will allow their country to turn into another Greece?

I've said before, Europe dominated by Germany never ends well and this is no exception. I don't expect another second world war, but I do expect chaos and disorder in the break-up of Europe, also too failed states much to close for home for comfort.

And the truth is, despite all the flowery, touchy, feely, all soft and gooey humanitarian BS: Europe does not have the capacity to absorb all the world's poor, destitute and those fleeing war, nor can we offer them a first world lifestyle that isn't paid for, as much as we would like to. And this harsh reality will also play it's part in the breakup of Europe as one by one the generous welfare states start to collapse. I mean what planet are the likes of Angelina Jolie lecturing us on our humanitarian response, when we cannot even give employment and a future to our own kith and kin?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#6 2016-05-20 05:13:31

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Did anyone watch Jeremy Paxman last night with his "Who Really Rules Us" program?

It was a bit of an eye opener for me. He traveled to Brussels to see exactly what goes on between the UK and the EU and to find out how decisions affecting the EU are made. He also spoke to a few politicians from other EU states about their thoughts on the UK leaving.

The amount of red tape involved was astounding, and the amount of money spent/squandered on putting together European legislations was mind boggling. Most of the EU official buildings were of a palatial style that made Buckingham Palace look like a halfway house.

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#7 2016-05-21 07:00:23

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Inherently, it is anti-democratic and the seeds of something quite repressive lurks in its centralized power structure.

As Mandelson said, we live in a post-democratic world......for now.

#8 2016-05-21 07:56:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

There's an interesting article on Wilders in today's Telegraph and this is what he says Brexit:

“Like in the 1940's, once again Britain could help liberate Europe from another totalitarian monster, this time called ‘Brussels’. Again, we could be saved by the British,” he said in his heavily fortified office in The Hague where an oil painting Winston Churchill and a Telegraph front page of Margaret Thatcher hang on the walls.

"If people see that a country can leave, and the lights do not go out, there is not a war, and a country does not go bankrupt, but even flourishes. If Britain proves that this theory can become a reality, it would have an enormous effect.”

On this issue, he is right.

It's interesting to note that in the decade and a half I have been here, how Wilders has gone from being a pariah to being rehabilitated into polite and middle class society. He was considered a nutter with yellow hair back then, now people openly say a lot of what he says is correct, his policies are right and they will vote for him.

#9 2016-05-21 09:04:43

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

My fear is that if we do leave the EU perhaps the everyday citizens won't notice anything until it's too late - i.e. not from day one.

Money is flexible, so exchange rates would take the first hit. Prices won't seem to change much at first for local items, then after a while prices will start to increase across the board as older stocks get used up and everyone scrambles to stay in business. This will be when the resentment from everyone kicks in, which could do a lot of harm.

The money that's currently going to the EU may end up being spent trying to fix the new problems as they arise, and this might or might not be enough - but those new problems will exist. There would be more extremism as people search for someone to blame.

Seeing as how this year none of the potential US presidential candidates seem peace inclined, and how Russia isn't likely to just play nice with everyone else either, plus there's an actual war over oil and ideology going on with high stakes, and radical people willing to increase those stakes. Isn't it more important now for the EU to stick together even if the terms may be unfair?

Peter Cook

#10 2016-05-21 10:12:03

Kingston1an

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#11 2016-05-21 10:36:03

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Peter Cook

#12 2016-05-21 23:24:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It's a question of sovereignty versus the anti-democratic and non-elected European Commission which decides policy and ever more integration at particular cost to national identity and culture which we know the mission is to erase/dilute and replace with something much more uniform.

I was watching the luvvies on Sky News on Friday, the so called "creative" industries take on why we should stay in. Hardly convincing or at a level of any meaning beyond the usual sound bites of progressive and liberalism, followed-up by we won't be able to act if we're out of the EU. Right.

A strong pound on leaving the EU will benefit holiday and pensioners in Europe. A low exchange rate will benefit exports.

If the UK stays in, when the piper calls the tune for more dosh, which inevitably will happen very shortly to ring fence welfare states and ever more integration by diversity, ahem, the UK will have to pay for the failure. The yanks want us in to help pick-up the tab.

#13 2016-05-22 02:36:23

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The latest pronouncements from the 'in crowd' have referred to a fall in house prices - Osborne says they will drop by 'as much 18%' - how does he know this? He doesn't of course its just a figure plucked from the air, he couldn't even predict last autumns fall in tax receipts that left the Treasury financially embarassed. Talk of property prices falling is a cycnical tactic designed to target the British house owning psyche and strangely Lagarde, Osborne and Carney have all come out with it in the last few days. Equally transparent are the procession of big business leaders and celebs being wheeled out to endorse the Remain campaign, hopefully by now ordinary people are thinking yes its alright if you're loaded but whats in it for me? In the end I think the female vote will swing it, call me a sexist, but I suspect a lot of them will decide on the basis of gut feelings over issues like whether someone has told them it will cost more to go on holiday.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#14 2016-05-22 03:33:35

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Peter Cook

#15 2016-05-22 03:52:18

Kingston1an

#16 2016-05-22 04:08:44

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#17 2016-05-22 04:29:56

Kingston1an

The French do not have long working hours.

Quite the opposite.

The French have also been known to kidnap their employer during negotiations or literally rip the shirt off the back of fleeing management.

French still have decent staff restaurants and wine at lunch when British counterparts were penny pinching, handing restaurants over to the likes of Compass and removing bars from workplaces. I remember having a very nice lunch in Paris and enjoying the discomfort of our HR director as the wine was opened.

Last edited by Kingston1an (2016-05-22 04:30:20)

#18 2016-05-22 05:40:22

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#19 2016-05-22 05:48:26

Kingston1an

Invade the world. Invite the world.

Elites and bought politicians on the make do not give a flying what's it about anybody - apart from themselves.

#20 2016-05-22 06:05:49

Beestonplace

And why is this in the not safe for work sectioN? I was expecting poon ,

I LOVE , this foum

#21 2016-05-22 06:07:20

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

What's frustrating about the EU is the fact that for a huge organisation that costs billions of pounds every year to run, cannot - perhaps dare not - have its books of account looked into, which to me is very damning. It is one of those things that politicians know is there, know it is glaringly obvious to anyone who looks, but still hope we won't notice what it means. It means that the EU is fundamentally dishonest with its use of money and resources; that huge sums can vanish and nobody is held responsible. This EU is far more dishonest than most big multi-national companies, which at least give some account of their annual returns.

This is not the sort of organisation we thought we were joining way back; we thought we were joining some kind of multi-national trading club, where one country's surpluses could be sold cheaply to other member countries, and all would benefit.

The original vision of the Economic Community, and today's reality, are two very very different things.

Peter Cook

#22 2016-05-22 06:08:17

Kingston1an

#23 2016-05-22 06:15:20

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Peter Cook

#24 2016-05-22 06:22:08

formby1

The last time I checked, Brussels had the third highest number of Michelin starred restaurants in Europe. Paris and London. first and second respectively.

This should tell you all you need to know, its a gravy train or should that be espagnole train...?

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#25 2016-05-22 07:48:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Board footer