You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Brooks Brothers: Hudson and Elliott Advantage Chinos

#1 2016-07-02 02:12:17

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Brooks Brothers: Hudson and Elliott Advantage Chinos

Any experiences of these full-fit and waist fitting pants from Brooks Brothers?

I bought a rack of their Advantage fit chinos in the slimmer fits from the outlet village in Venice three years ago now and they really are something special. The only problem is, the 34" no longer fit me, so I need to go to a 36". I am thinking the Hudson and with a pleat, the Elliott fit to give crotch area plenty of space might be ideal. Are the Elliot chinos what Woody Allen wears?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2016-07-02 07:39:53

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Brooks Brothers: Hudson and Elliott Advantage Chinos

4F, I've worn Elliott Advantage in the past, with pleats alas, as you say. BUT I can tell you that they're high quality, heavy cloth, roomy legs without being too baggy, they hold a crease well, and definitely lots of room in the crotch. I don't know if Woody Allen wears them, if he does he doesn't do them justice... The pleats are subtle on these as well, you won't look like you stepped out of the 80s...

Edit: Have just looked up Woody Allen's trouser choices on Google Images. Most don't look like Brooks. Too many pleats, wrong color. A couple might be. But Elliotts don't have to look as shapeless as Woody's pants invariably do. His style has essentially become one giant paper bag.

Last edited by Berkeley_Breathes (2016-07-02 07:43:35)

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2016-07-02 09:17:54

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Thanks Berkeley, I shall order a pair post haste!

Yes, Allen's got the crumpled, collapsing bag look all of his own. Like the strategy of Dunkirk in sartorial form.

The 80s are much maligned these days, lots of really distinctive silhouettes going on back then, like the 1940s in a way. The last time there was really effort en masse to dress-up and go out looking sharp and right-up to date fashion wise. We've lost a lot since then.

#4 2016-07-02 09:57:06

Berkeley_Breathes

4F, that's a good point... People wore clothes that really fit at least! Good luck with the Elliotts, I'd love an update once you get them. I bought them in British Khaki, the color was true to what's shown online.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#5 2016-07-20 00:22:20

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Elliot's arrived today and they are exactly what I am looking for: high rise, not too baggy, but with plenty of room around the crotch and thigh, all reinforced with excellent quality. The semi-permanent crease is a winner too, making them ideal for uptown in the penthouse and downtown with the mob.

I also ordered the British khaki which I think is slightly more russety khaki than that shown on the BB website. I ordered the 34" length, perhaps a 33" would have been better, but I assume there will be some shrinkage in the first couple of washes.

#6 2016-07-20 08:28:36

Berkeley_Breathes

Excellent 4F, wear them in good health!

#7 2016-07-20 11:03:09

Worried Man

I wore the Clark fits for a while and liked them.  Never tried the Elliots.  Now I'm curious....

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#8 2016-07-20 11:07:02

Worried Man

Oh, wait, the Elliots have pleats.  No wonder I never tried them.  What the heck Hep?  Freaking pleats...

kidding...

The Hudson being the "fullest pain front" still look just adequate on the rise based on the pictures on the site.

Last edited by Worried Man (2016-07-20 11:08:28)

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#9 2016-07-20 11:54:23

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Elliot is basically the Hudson with pleats. Nowt wrong with the rise, it is dead on the waist. The photos on the BB website are a bit naff and don't do justice to the rise.

I've washed mine now and no discernible shrinkage so will get an inch taken off the legs. They are of course with a permanent crease, so not to everyone's specification.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Brooks Brothers: Hudson and Elliott Advantage Chinos

Board footer