You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

#1 2016-09-01 05:12:24

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

Shock horror and what can we do to aid those thickos who didn't go to top universities or display polish in manner and on their shoes? We need equal outcomes here regardless of ability, talent, academic and vocational prowess, I propose positive discrimination with a quota of those who couldn't get into university as they suffered dyscalculia and never got to learn about the secret code of honour that he who wears brown pointy and scruffy scuffed shoes at a job interview will not get the job at the bank as planned. In today's Telegraph and also Daily Mail:

Candidates from a disadvantaged background aren't being awarded jobs at investment banks because they often wear brown shoes with a business suit, a report has suggested. 

Firms recruit from a tiny pool of elite universities and hire those who "fit in", a study by the Social Mobility Commission found. They are "failing" to give jobs to talented but less advantaged candidates, partly because they flout the "opaque" City dress code.

Managers often select recruits who display "polish" and place as much importance on a person's speech, accent, dress and behaviour as their skills and qualifications, researchers said.

“For men, the wearing of brown shoes with a business suit is generally, though not always, considered unacceptable by and for British bankers”
Social Mobility Commission

The report warned that unwritten rules of dress and behaviour could leave some poorer applicants floundering.

It states: "Relatively opaque codes of conduct also extend to dress.

"To provide one example, for men, the wearing of brown shoes with a business suit is generally, though not always, considered unacceptable by and for British bankers within the investment banking, corporate finance, division."

It adds: "Issues relating to dress may seem both superficial and relatively simple for individuals from all backgrounds to adopt.

"However, interviewees suggested that they do play a material role in the selection process, once again, as demonstration of 'fit'."

The report also found that banks mostly hire from a handful of universities including Oxbridge and the London School of Economics (LSE), while a previous Sutton Trust study found that 34 per cent of investment bankers went to private school compared with just 7 per cent nationally.

The report warned that unwritten rules of dress and behaviour could leave some poorer applicants floundering

And the requirement to do work experience or internships benefits those with "informal networks" and erects a further barrier to entry, the study warned.

Alan Milburn, the Commission's chairman, said: "Bright working-class kids are being systematically locked out of top jobs in investment banking because they may not attend a small handful of elite universities or understand arcane culture rules.

"While there are some banks doing excellent work in reducing these barriers, there are still too many that need to wake-up and realise that it makes sound business sense to recruit people from all backgrounds.

"It is shocking, for example, that some investment bank managers still judge candidates on whether they wear brown shoes with a suit, rather than on their skills and potential."

“Bright working-class kids are being systematically locked out of top jobs in investment banking”
Alan Milburn

The study also found that less advantaged recruits face barriers in breaking into the life sciences sector, where there is a tendency to recruit graduates from the most prestigious universities.

The Commission said more needed to be done to tackle inequality and called for employers to collect data to track the social and educational background of their recruits.

Joanne Moore, from ARC Network, who led the research on life sciences, said: "Both the investment banking and life science sectors need to do more to ensure fair and equal access to jobs.

"This is important, not just for our economy and society, but for individuals.

"In life sciences, graduate jobs often focus on a candidate's practical skill as well as academic criteria - which may be more limited for non-privileged students who are known to face barriers to taking up placements and internships."

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2016-09-01 07:22:01

Beestonplace

Re: If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

Shocking news!

I LOVE , this foum

#3 2016-09-01 11:15:04

doghouse

Someone on AAAAAAAC is jacking off to this story as we speak.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#4 2016-09-01 11:21:51

formby1

How hard is it for interviewees to do a little research into the culture of the company/organisation they are applying for and act accordingly?

If the culture is conservative, dress / act conservatively.

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#5 2016-09-01 11:32:59

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#6 2016-09-01 11:44:40

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#7 2016-09-01 11:54:10

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#8 2016-09-01 11:55:20

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#9 2016-09-01 12:13:46

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Last edited by The_Shooman (2016-09-01 12:14:54)

#10 2016-09-01 12:35:43

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#11 2016-09-01 17:30:45

chatsworth osborne jr.

I hate those brownshoes and hope they don't get jobs, especially if the shoes are some light "nut" color.
And it looks like Irishman indeed did pop this up on AAAC, but nobody is really cheering on the evil secret blackshoe cabal.  Yet.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?233838-City-dress-code-ties-graduates-in-knots&s=6843ee6b95a8d67d8a8d0106d4c3535a&p=1799533#post1799533

#12 2016-09-02 02:25:03

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

^This is my favourite: "Meanwhile, the US still has adults in shorts and flipflops walking in for prestigious interviews, so it could be much worse."

They're onto something as regards the mores in mainland Europe and especially the Netherlands, a young hungry graduate in any business sector turning up in a tight fitting grey suit with pointy light-brown shoes scuffed to looking like a scrapyard from afar, would get a pat on the back and the job. They really dig this look for some reason worthy of anthropological study.

In the original article makes reference to wearing suits that are too large, a sure sign that you've borrowed your dad's wedding and funeral suit. Never make that mistake. Nor too, adding golf as a hobby on an entry level CV. There's always some golf bore looking for new talent and they will inevitably wangle their way onto the interview board and then ask you "I see you play golf....what is your handicap?" And it all ends in tears when you stumple and mumble "Er...er....I haven't got one yet, but me dad has!"

#13 2016-09-02 09:52:15

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#14 2016-09-02 09:55:52

Beestonplace

But where is FNB and his first-hand experience of Wall Street's satorial dos and donts ?

I LOVE , this foum

#15 2016-09-02 12:20:16

The_Shooman
A pretty face

I am sure FNB will be posting when he has time, should be good to read what he has to say about this with his unique viewpoints.

I will say that l love the conservative shoe idea of highend black oxford captoes (probably my favourite shoe), and l will say that most men don't know how to wear brown shoes and that most of them look like duds wearing brown shoos because they don't know how to pair the colour with their clothes, AND they wear cheap looking shoes. People's shoos show whether they know what's going on or are clueless.  Very few men have it going on.

#16 2016-09-02 13:13:12

TakasakiJeff

#17 2016-09-03 03:15:35

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#18 2016-09-03 03:56:57

Bop

What an insight

#19 2016-09-03 05:14:34

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#20 2016-09-03 05:28:24

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#21 2016-09-03 05:38:39

RobbieB

Last edited by RobbieB (2016-09-03 05:40:00)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#22 2016-09-03 09:22:30

formby1

Last edited by formby1 (2016-09-03 09:23:51)

Souvent me Souvient

#23 2016-09-03 09:23:39

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#24 2016-09-03 09:32:47

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#25 2016-09-05 03:52:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

Board footer