You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

#26 2016-09-05 04:43:25

Beestonplace

Re: If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

Indeed.

So, another hate-driven article about problems that don't exist.

I LOVE , this foum

#27 2016-09-05 09:24:10

Bop

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-05 09:58:38)

#28 2016-09-05 10:57:47

Bop

Why dont you go the whole hog and get some Jack Vettriano for the walls?

#29 2016-09-05 11:05:14

Bop

Maybe one of the erotic ones.... so tastefully edgy

#30 2016-09-05 12:08:25

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#31 2016-09-05 13:48:16

Bop

Classic Formby, much easier to suggest that a detractor has a psychological abnormality than to take on board the idea you may in fact have terrible taste...

As for your question, well it's not really clear. Were they in a group, what attribute was removed?

As for a difference of style Ive shown you examples of people with good and bad taste wearing the same style to try and stress the point even further, so again how can taste be style or fashion...im talking about the interplay of the plastic elements and a persons ability to recognise it or produce it, whether critic or exponent.

#32 2016-09-05 13:49:55

Bop

If you want an example of good taste, look no further than Heps avatar, one of the most elegant images ever put on a record cover. IMHO

Which you are probably about to tell me is dull and too matchy...and it would be if it wasnt for the cushion in the left of the picture...what is in the quality of that cushion that it should be able to lift the mundane to the magnificent?

That's what Im talking about, and something which if feel you might be numb to because your mind does not inhabit that world, very much in the same way mine doesn't inhabited the finer points of working in Human Resources

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-05 13:58:52)

#33 2016-09-05 15:44:53

formby1

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#34 2016-09-05 19:23:12

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Fashion, which includes jacket and tie clothing for men, has never been about functionality or intrinsic beauty. It has been argued in some fashion historian circles that the suit is a rather ugly garment. It's true value being its versatility of expression which allows it to avoid senility which would lead to its being discarded.

I think one of the few reasons that suit fashion moves so slowly is because we really only have one sort of man we respect in the west (And now maybe most of the world) just as we only have one type of woman. With women it's mostly about exterior aesthetics and with men it's mostly about interior qualities. The suit/tie/shirt plainness emphasizes several compounded traits we admire in men. Thus we are loathe to get rid of the suit because we have no ready replacement that suggests a man of breeding, knowledge, wealth, wit, urbanity, taste, gravitas.

First, we like our men physically restrained and the tailored jacket does that. One might feel "tough" in a suit but it's not a physical form of toughness, rather it represents a form of nonviolent power

Second, the suit suggests Education, degrees and the professions which we deep down agree to be attractive values.

Third, It's a uniform. Like all clothes, it defines a certain circle of people but the suit is intended to truly be a uniform in the military sense. Which is ironic because early tailored military uniforms mimicked the civilian suits of the nobility. This shows the constant back and forth values the suit has exchanged over its lifetime with surrounding worlds and values. It also demonstrate that people want to join a fashion tribe for comfort and that they then start to mock the need for others to join different fashion circles.

Fourth, it started out as an aristocratic garment ie. "Old Money" arguably the end goal of Investment Banking as a profession is to achieve this state for it's practitioners' descendants.

Fifth, Bankers and businessmen further compounded the idea that the suit should be drab to emphasize an almost religious indifference to anything but the pursuit of money.

Sixth, it covers a multitude of sins ranging from our current perceptions to health, age, physique etc... that's that versatility at work in a different way. It gives a man privacy and takes his body out of the business equation.

I could see people being discriminated for their presentation in Investment Banking. A lot of it is about how to get along with with others and charm people often from privileged backgrounds. I'm not sure what the issue is here, that people from different backgrounds deserve a chance to be greedy too?

#35 2016-09-06 01:14:34

Bop

Last edited by Bop (2016-09-06 01:41:35)

#36 2016-09-06 01:55:08

Bop

Anyway, this is far from Investment banking now..if you want me Ill be over in NSFW

#37 2016-09-06 05:11:09

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#38 2016-09-06 08:40:49

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#39 2016-09-06 11:08:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#40 2016-09-06 12:06:57

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#41 2016-09-06 12:33:01

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#42 2016-09-06 13:57:19

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#43 2016-09-06 13:58:58

formby1

Tell me about these more subtle pinks and blues. Some examples if you can.

Souvent me Souvient

#44 2016-09-06 14:52:59

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#45 2016-09-06 15:13:04

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#46 2016-09-06 17:05:03

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#47 2016-09-07 02:17:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The King's tailor here has the Thomas Mason fabrics in and also in RTW shirts, they're very English to my eyes, but they are part of the Albini Group now and a brand line in all but name.

Talking about preferences and ideas of beauty, Roger Scruton's work is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zHg7vxrAlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#48 2016-09-07 11:19:57

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#49 2016-09-07 11:38:53

formby1

Souvent me Souvient

#50 2016-09-07 11:41:18

formby1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37298505

Souvent me Souvient

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » If You Want To Work At An Investment Bank Don't Wear Brown Shoes!

Board footer