You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-16 13:19:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Story of Skinhead

Anyone else catch this? Worth a watch, good music and violence throughout with a fair sprinkling of sad old farts still wearing their rolled jeans, DMs and monkey jackets.  John Simons does a short piece about the look at about 5:30 onwards. Pauline Black isn't bad for 63.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07yv0qj/the-story-of-skinhead-with-don-letts

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#2 2016-10-17 01:20:19

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Story of Skinhead

Shame I can't get this my end. The skinheads as I remember them in the late 70s and early 80s were a strange breed of nutter glue sniffers.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#3 2016-10-17 02:55:52

chuck power

I was a tad disappointed to be honest - I don't know why. Other than the brief interview with John Simons, it seemed to concentrate on the donkey jacket brigade. I would have preferred to have heard more about the lineage from 'hard mod' to skinhead to suede head ..... instead we got a lot of the aforementioned bonehead glue sniffing types .... or perhaps the smarter element never existed and it's all just a product of Kevin Rowland and Robert Elms imagination ?

Last edited by chuck power (2016-10-17 02:56:23)

Who do you see? Who do you watch? Whose your leader? Which is your flock?

#4 2016-10-17 03:07:13

Yuca

Perhaps I should reserve comment until I've seen it . . . but when I saw the publicity for this it suggested the usual 21st century-friendly revisionism of the skinhead story: a group of touchy feely, multicultural, lovable 1960s reggae fans who had their movement completely misappropriated at the end of the 70s by a bunch of fascists who had no connection to the original movement. Certainly the far right influence was far stronger in the late 70s model, however the late 60s was a period of violent racism in the UK, and the skins were a product of that. Whilst not all original skins were racist and their racism should be placed in context, it is absurd to whitewash the movement. 

Previous discussion on this topic: http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?pid=177757#p177757

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=737

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=4089&p=3

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2016-10-17 04:14:59

Bop

I kind of lost interest as it got into the football violence bit...up until that bit great! But im probably not the target audience and i suppose there is a lot meatier stuff with the politics a documentary can get stuck into

Last edited by Bop (2016-10-17 04:15:52)

#6 2016-10-17 06:09:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#7 2016-10-17 06:55:25

Harpo
The Best In The West

Violence based on area was a big thing as well, let alone football or race. I remember talking to a bloke who used to drink with my dad, telling me how he spent a fortune on having a four- tone tonic suit made, which he wore to see the Mohawks playing in London. This would have been c.1969. He had the shit kicked out of him by local skinheads for being from Bristol - entirely ruining the suit the very first time he wore it!

Randy lower-class trifler

#8 2016-10-17 08:08:34

Kingston1an

Don Letts is a knobhead. Gary Bushell is not much better.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2016-10-17 08:12:16

Kingston1an

The film seemed to be useful topic for Letts to reflect on multiculturalism and racism. They were not central tenets of the skinhead era.

The music might have been black but I am sure a lot of dance halls controlled their playlists to discourage non whites from turning up. Probably legal to bar them anyway in those days.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#10 2016-10-17 08:32:52

alkydrinker

#11 2016-10-17 10:09:57

Acton_Baby

I believe the documentary has it's origins in the 'Subculture' short films Don Letts made for Channel 4 (sponsored by Fred Perry).
The two skinhead related films ( an original skin/pre-punk and post punk/2 tone related one ) got a lot of criticism for being a bit 'rose tinted nostalgia' glossing over the violence/racist aspects and this was his attempt to try to do a better overview.

Gary Bushell the self proclaimed 'Voice of Oi' and 'working class spokesman' is spectacularly full of shit as ever, his autobiography states that he picked 'Strength Thru Oi' title for his compilation because of it's Nazi connotations and here there's yet more footage of him denying it ( his Skids comparison is epic bollox as well but thats a whole other story).
It should also be remembered within six months of the Southall Riots he was trying to rebrand The Cockney Rejects as a NWOBHM* act ( *New wave of British Heavy Metal ) as his mates in the band couldn't get a gig because of the violence that followed them and then declaring them the next 'Iron Maiden', so much for his 'champion of skinhead culture' tag.

They seem to have missed out on some of the better voices related to the scene 'Oxford Paul' and Chris Brown, both have written much better accounts of the UK skinhead scene and how it was so regionally different it was almost impossible to lump it together into a single skinhead identity.

The one plus point, it would seem the middle-age skinheads dress is as funny as middle-aged mods in feather cuts.
Tubby baldies should avoid the G9 style Harrington and tight jeans look in particular.

Last edited by Acton_Baby (2016-10-17 10:10:52)

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#12 2016-10-17 10:23:21

The Absintheist

#13 2016-10-17 11:58:21

Tomiskinky

As I don't have a tv and don't pay for a license I'll try check it out on YouTube. Alas all I have heard are pretty scathing reviews.

#14 2016-10-17 12:11:26

Yuca

#15 2016-10-17 15:25:16

Yuca

Finally saw it - well done in many respects yet ultimately I got bored and felt like the whole racism thing was simplified/whitewashed. However my biggest criticism would be zero mention of gays. Their adoption of the skin thing may be sacrilege to older skins, trad and fascist, but gays are a big part of the story - and their presence would have stopped the documentary from getting boring.

Bushell comes across as an apologist for fascism (or in other words: a complete cock).

Btw Don Letts DJed after me when I played at The Big Chill fest a few years ago. I think he complimented my final tune (The Impressions Minstrel and Queen).

#16 2016-10-18 02:31:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#17 2016-10-18 06:10:43

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#18 2016-10-18 06:20:24

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#19 2016-10-18 06:33:28

Bop

It'd explain where a lot of that anger and intolerance was coming from
...closet cases!

Last edited by Bop (2016-10-18 06:34:00)

#20 2016-10-18 07:23:28

Yuca

#21 2016-10-18 07:31:25

Chiswick49

DJs with non-white playlists? It would probably be illegal to repeat what I heard a doorman call a local non-white outside Hammersmith Palais c1968. However, if you had non-white mates there never seemed to be an issue about them getting entry to places with you.

#22 2016-10-18 07:38:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I've watched it now and you certainly couldn't say it whitewashed the racist elements.

Interestingly, my father's claim to fame was that he had been part of three youth cultures: an original mod, a Desmond Dekker concert going skinhead and then a hippy. He didn't take part in the mod revival, but by today's standards of youth continuing until you are 40, he could well had!

From my perspective, which is from the late 70s and early 80s up north in the provinces, skinhead was suspect. I wasn't joking with the nutter glue sniffing reference because there was plenty of that going on in 1980 and 81. There was probably as many mohican punks in my home town as there were skinheads, which meant there was not that many, but if you saw skinheads walking down the street then you knew it was time to scatter. As they were generally looking for aggro before a glue sniffing session behind the Kwik Save. I remember going to Liverpool in 1982 and my muccas and me were accosted by some young skinheads with black Harrington jackets, scary.

I can also remember some Special AKA graffiti on a school desk with NF slogans next to it in the same hand.

By the early 1990's, when I started to shave my head due to premature baldness, it was pretty much two types of people who did this: Clonezone gays or the last of the skinhead Oi nutcases. This was before Beckham brought the shaved head look into acceptable mainstream without these two associations.

As the documentary points out the contradictions in skinhead from what it was to what it became is a phenomena worthy of social study. I would hate to sport a style that you would have to defend as not being rascist. But I suppose like the old Teds, the original skins made a pledge for life.

I've only met one person to openly admit they were into and part of the Oi! scene. This guy when I knew him in the 2000's was full of contradictions, zionist conspiracy theories and rascist thoughts combined with friends of black, white and asian extraction. you would wonder why he hadn't gone bonkers with such different forces pulling him from pillar to post. 

Agree with Woofboxer, Pauline Black looks great for 63!

Last edited by 4F Hepcat (2016-10-18 08:26:34)

#23 2016-10-18 07:41:26

Yuca

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25142557

#24 2016-10-18 09:26:08

Walker

No mention of The Redskins either. Combination of skinhead attire and left-wing politics in the 1980s subverted the traditional association of skins with NF nutterdom.

16.5/35 42R 34/32 UK10/US10.5

#25 2016-10-18 11:11:50

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

You can't capture everything in 58 minutes! I thought Letts did a good job.

Anyway, the whole Redskins as skinhead communist, anarchist, young Trotskyites opens an additional can of worms.

Perhaps the skinhead look is inherently, at the primeval and subconscious level, like taking certain psychoactive substances guaranteed to produce the same experience in the user regardless of culture: a tough, homoerotic, virile version of youth on a mission to cause trouble and overthrow the old order. You can hang anything radical onto it, for it is empty/full and that may explain the contradictions?

Board footer