You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-07 13:20:14

Kingston1an

Things that annoy you

Idea nicked from football forums, along with a few examples to get the ball rolling:-

1. People who put 'Happy Birthday' messages on white sheets and display them at roundabouts.

2. People who try to board trains before allowing passengers to get off first.

3. People who put cones outside their house to reserve parking spaces. Just get a garage/bigger garage.

4. Americans calling a speciality a 'specialty'

5. Tourists at football matchs especially those taking photos of everything.

6. People taking young kids into Wetherspoon. That is what McDonalds is for.

7. 'Unexpected item in the baggage area.'

8. The multiplication of receptacles to replace a good old fashioned dustbin. Plastic dustbins I am OK with. They are quieter. But take four bins to the front of the house, instead of one? And on the designated day too?

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#2 2017-01-07 16:27:42

Worried Man

Re: Things that annoy you

Most often lately, it's being stuck behind someone at the traffic light that fails to bolt when the light turns green because they're looking at their phone.  It annoys me, but then I take immense pleasure in just laying on my horn and not relenting until about 10 seconds after they finally start moving.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#3 2017-01-07 16:30:05

Worried Man

Oblivious people huddled in groups that prevent passage or egress and require multiple and increasingly loud "pardon me!"s before moving.  Often looking at phones.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#4 2017-01-07 18:03:29

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

People who pronounce the word  "bedroom" like there are 2 d's, like  bed droom.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#5 2017-01-07 18:20:23

Worried Man

Hahaha!!! Oh man.  I'm really laughing right now.  That is great.  Ha!!!  Wtf??!!

#6 2017-01-08 02:52:32

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

During our travels my work colleague and I often muse on the categories of people that would have to be put up against the wall come the great revolution. Top of the list; fly-tippers & estate agents, closely followed by people who talk on their phones or text whilst driving.

Up for internment would be; grown men who ride BMX bikes or do skateboarding, people who say 'like' every third word, anyone who walks around the shops whilst carrying coffee in a paper cup or towing a little suitcase on wheels.

Having coffee and a little suitcase simultaneously could nudge you into the top category.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#7 2017-01-08 03:11:27

Beestonplace

Trad

I LOVE , this foum

#8 2017-01-08 10:12:24

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

Another one:   People who use ing instead of en.   He had his picture taking. Instead of He had his picture taken.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#9 2017-01-08 11:07:16

Kingston1an

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#10 2017-01-08 11:23:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#11 2017-01-08 11:41:35

Beestonplace

I LOVE , this foum

#12 2017-01-08 12:28:53

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

I'm not one of these grammar Nazis that goes around correcting people and it doesn't  annoy me so much when people say something like "Me and my wife went to the store." or "My wife and me went to the store" instead of "My wife and I...". What really gets me is when they think they're being so smart and say something like " They gave the gift to my wife and I".

#13 2017-01-08 13:53:06

Martyn

People who brag about fitness, I don't mind people excising but there is no need to show off about it. I'm talking about the ones who go for a run on Christmas morning then post photos/ their results all over social media.

Worried Man, I get where you're coming from regarding people slow off the mark, especially when it's related to using their phone. I do however, take a small amount of pleasure driving at about 20mph when someone behind me honks their horn at me for being a couple of seconds off the mark. I'm not a total dick about this, I usually try to work if they deserve it or not.

Also, people who chew loudly.

#14 2017-01-08 15:30:08

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

People who think farting is funny.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#15 2017-01-08 16:38:25

ForeignHand

#16 2017-01-08 18:15:47

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Nothing much annoys me anymore. Humans have a lot to prove so l don't expect too much from them. If you don't expect much from them you won't get annoyed. smile

#17 2017-01-09 06:00:12

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

#18 2017-01-09 06:48:42

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#19 2017-01-09 07:46:05

Kingston1an

Miriam Margoyles.

Prompted by the references to farting and Florida gun control.

I watched the follow up to the 'Marigold hotel' programme where a group of luvvies investigate retirement in India. This time there are half as many of them. Bobby George, by comparison, seems grounded and possessed of common sense. He left all the bling at home because he did not want it to get nicked in Florida.

I think I would have a go on some guns if I was there. It might help with crime fiction when the authors wax lyrical about different types of handgun. Not sure I would want to take a gun down the pub though.

#20 2017-01-09 11:54:52

Beestonplace

Why go to Florida in the first place. I recommend Kampen, or Cannobio.

I LOVE , this foum

#21 2017-01-09 18:06:10

Worried Man

#22 2017-01-10 01:56:45

adorable homunculus

Last edited by adorable homunculus (2017-01-10 01:59:52)

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#23 2017-01-10 08:36:39

Jeff Reed

1. Medieval or simply ignorant Latin pronunciations in any medium where there is an attempt to establish the intelligence and/or education of a character. This does not apply to certain time periods, but in the modern world Latin students are taught "classical" Latin first. Medieval Latin is a specialty, so unless the character has reason to be involved in this specialty, there is no excuse for medieval pronunciations. There is never an excuse for Scipio to be pronounced SIP-EEE-OH. If one is going to be pretentious, at least convince other pretentious people.

2. Forms asking for my "race." One would think by now we could get past the invention of race, but no. It's not even race that's being asked for anyway. It's either skin color (as it would be known socially, not accurately) or ethnicity.

3. The misuse of "whom" where "who" is correct. I get that a lot of people do not know when to use "whom", but substituting "whom" for the correct "who" in order to sound educated is worse than just using "who" all of the time. "Whom is going with you." Fuck who? Fuck you. 

4. That Londoner "f" for "th" fing. Nails on a chalkboard.

5. Oblivious walkers. Often looking at cell phones. Sometimes just walking four-wide on a narrow street. Yes, you get the shoulder in the chest. I'm not afraid to die over this, so go ahead and say something.

6. "Have a nice day."

7. The expectation that I will actually look at my phone often enough to see any particular text message/phone call/email within 12 hours.

8.  Foodies, the term itself and those so self-describing. Also, the term "comfort food."

9. KLGA

#24 2017-01-10 09:42:11

Kingston1an

^ Cheevis Romanus or Keewees Romanus?

Our Oxbridge Latin master went for the latter, but the kids and the other Classics master went for the former.

Caesar's Gallic Wars, "The having been defeated soldiers of the Swiss", small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts....

#25 2017-01-10 10:04:50

Acton_Baby

Scissors that come in a sealed plastic pouch.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

Board footer