You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

#26 2017-01-30 02:06:10

aucociscokid2

Re: Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

Will forward all of your comments on to the manufacturer you can be assured. Thanks. Please continue to make them. The yellow is less dominant in the actual material than in the sample. Look forward to seeing photos of Bradley's Brooks "madras perfection" jacket. N.B. It is ALMOST impossible for us to replicate patterns from photos as the reeds and picks can't be ascertained. The manufacturer has been supplied with jacket weight madras as determined after consultation with several other tailors. What my man Yogesh - with whom I now have an exclusivity - sent Chief Brody was shirting. After some research and consultation with the Indian government, we can say that ours is the ONLY authentic "bleeding" madras and can supply a certificate of authenticity to support the claim. We'll supply handloom and powerloomed madras to any manufacturer which orders it, if Members know of any. The handloomed is $15.95/yard, shipping not included. It can be patterns of our design, or ones designed by others. Samples generally take up to 6 months. Confirmed orders: 30 working days.

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-01-30 02:14:22)

#27 2017-01-31 17:43:12

CornoUltimo

For what its worth, most of the madras jackets that I've seen have blue, red, or olive as a base color. That yellow plaid might look nice as a shirt or shorts, but I agree it would be tricky to pull off as a sportcoat

#28 2017-01-31 23:31:30

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

No hook vent on any of mine as far as I can remember. Dull metal buttons seem to have been popular too.

I think the slouchier they are they better they look.

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2017-01-31 23:34:34)

#29 2017-02-01 15:21:08

aucociscokid2

Spoke to a certain older gent. Proprietor of a certain shop in the Boston area. For what's it's worth: He said yellow is his FAVORITE color. Is considering the samples currently. Happy to relay what he opines, if there's interest.

#30 2017-02-02 00:30:16

Chief Brody

Yellow jackets are sooooo popular... 😜

You found one guy who likes yellow. Sounds like that's all you need.

No one wears yellow sport coats. Even the trad obsessed. It doesn't appear to have been popular in the boom era jackets you want to replicate. And it ain't popular among neo-preps or #meanswear hombres. But maybe you could start a trend! I am just naysayer... Nay!

#31 2017-02-02 00:58:27

Lawlib

http://thetrad.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/madras-blazer.html

#32 2017-02-02 02:31:56

aucociscokid2

Too bad The Trad is no longer posting. I can see yellow in 2. Or am I mistaken?

#33 2017-02-02 03:05:17

Chief Brody

Yellow is nice in the plaid. But a mostly Yellow jacket is another thing entirely.

Amen.

(And with that, Chief Brody bowed out of the Yellow Jacket discussion...)

Last edited by Chief Brody (2017-02-02 03:06:50)

#34 2017-02-02 03:36:00

Sid Ford

#35 2017-02-02 03:38:50

Sid Ford

#36 2017-02-02 04:00:45

GeorgieBoy

Neither of those fabrics appeal to me.
First one looks like a deck chair and the second is too much for a jacket. Shirt maybe.
I wish you luck with your venture.

#37 2017-02-02 17:59:36

aucociscokid2

@Sid Ford: You both like and don't like the blue stripes? Your 1st post was, "Wow. Just wow," underneath the blue stripes. Confusing. But, no big deal.

New England Shirt has some powerloomed patterns under consideration for alpha-sized shirts, too.

#38 2017-02-03 00:52:44

Tomiskinky

#39 2017-02-03 16:29:12

aucociscokid2

The manufacturer/tailor in Brooklyn, USA, which is ordering the madras has requested to see some other plaids. Be happy to share here what I'm providing by way of samples, or their final selection. Thanks to the members who supplied construction details of the 1960s jacket. Their thinking, however, is to update design. Don't know if this is the right thread on the forum (i.e. if Wardrobe more appropriate), but would also appreciate suggested updates from Members. Not that they don't have their own (ideas). Always interesting to see the thoughts of others (n my humble...) You never know from whence ideas spring.  Sorry guys for my persistence, but it does accomplish my goals, esp. w/others. It's how I get things done.

#40 2017-02-04 06:49:38

Tomiskinky

If they want to sell a classic madras sport coat, then it needs to follow the basic rules of the originals. Bleeding madras will mean nothing to a new 'fashion ' audience, there are a million and 1 modern style jackets available all but too tight and too short, why sell and market a product you can buy on every street corner? I know you're going to come back and say, but only this jacket uses authentic bleeding madras, my point is if you market at the man in the street it means nothing, those who care about this sort of detail are people like us on this forum, and I can't see anyone going for some 'modern' take on it?

Just sayin'

#41 2017-02-04 06:58:43

Yuca

I agree with the above post. (Whether or not a modern style jacket could be a success is way out of my field of expertise, but I can't imagine any ivyists or trads would be interested.)

I aso agree that neither of the 2 fabrics posted so far in the thread is remotely suitable for a jacket.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#42 2017-02-04 07:55:29

Chief Brody

I have come back out of retirement to post this link to a modern madras jacket with plenty of yellow in it. Natural shoulder but far from a NO.1 Sack cut. I would wear it proudly and loudly.

http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/image/49350732546

And these are all beautiful.

http://thearmoury.tumblr.com/post/141744646590/just-some-madras-and-plaids-from-tailorcaid-at

Looks like you need you to supply Ring Jacket and Tailor Caid.

If you are only supplying the fabric and not interested in trad details- then the made in America tag is pointless and would not deserve a price premium, in the Trad community. In fact if I had the shekels i would would go straight to Tailor Caid and bespoke the shizzle out of my wardrobe.

Last edited by Chief Brody (2017-02-04 08:03:34)

#43 2017-02-04 10:35:29

aucociscokid2

I don't think anything as radical as Members have in mind is being planned. Don't know. It's their deal. I think the idea is, however, to update the cut a bit. In my conversations with them, they think that jackets - overall - are too short in their current iteration. They approached me. I had just about given up on the idea. They met my terms - and exceeded them. They didn't gulp or balk at the price. It is what it is . It takes a weaver one day to produce just over a yard. It adds up, even on Indian wages. + They're going to doing a worldwide advertising campaign, along the lines of what the Cotton or Wool Councils did for their respective fabrics.

It shouldn't be hard to surmise who they are. How many clothing manufacturers are left in Brooklyn?

If your advice is to not change a thing, I'm willing to convey that.

They are going with the blue stripes as well as a blue,  red, or olive-based plaid as well - to the best of my knowledge - to be chosen from among tens of samples with which they've been provided.

I'm willing to sell to any one willing on my terms. I contacted Tailor Caid. Received no response, possibly on account of a language barrier.

N.B. The Armoury jacket is NOT "bleeding" madras. Nor are the Tailor Caid swatches. Am not familiar w/Ring, if any Member wants to inform me.

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-04 10:39:25)

#44 2017-02-04 12:35:00

Chief Brody

Can't see anyone outside  of the trad/Ivy fetish caring about "bleeding" madras.
In fact, it would probably be off-putting.

Why did you bother with this thread when you have nothing to do with the design of the jackets? You just supply the yards. There's nothing remotely of interest so far to this forum. Well done. ✌🏻

#45 2017-02-04 14:47:14

aucociscokid2

Aw! Come on, Chief! Both you and I know your statement isn't true. Ain't just a preppy/Ivy thing. Never has been. Sorry. "Bleeding" madras was the King of Style. Entire families wore it. Even to church on Sundays. No reason it couldn't be again. Since I become involved, I've seen the "faux" bleeding and non-bleeding varieties used in everything from shoes to trench coats. At the 2015 spring-summer Fashion Weeks, several major women's wear designers incorporated it into their designs in fact. The Times of India said " fashionistas from Paris to Milan, New York to London love the Madras checks, or plaids, as they are often referred to as." 

I'm also involved in the design of the jackets.

So, there!

You guys ever make + comments?

Geez!

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-04 15:31:42)

#46 2017-02-05 05:10:34

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

In all fairness, there's nothing in this thread thus far to make any real + comments about. 

The two patterns that you're going with aren't really ringing any bells, plus they're going to be turned into an updated design of '60s style jacket - which sort of defeats the whole purpose of what you're trying to achieve.

If you have a rummage around some of the threads on this forum, they are jam packed with photos and magazine ads of various madras checks from the "good ole days".

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#47 2017-02-05 05:58:05

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#48 2017-02-05 07:38:07

Chief Brody

#49 2017-02-05 12:03:58

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but this guy and his f--king bleeding Madras!!.!!!...........................

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#50 2017-02-05 12:22:38

Tomiskinky

Nicely put Chief.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

Board footer