You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

#51 2017-02-05 17:47:42

aucociscokid2

Re: Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

Never represented that what we were designing was a "boom era" madras jacket. What I said was we were looking to update one. We're looking to design one of which we can sell 1000s of units, esp. in Japan and China. A new classic.

If we were designing a "true-to-era" one, we'd have to use crappy cotton, because that's what they were made from. All the other madras stuff that era, too. Ask Carl Goldberg at CEGO shirts. His family used to import it from India to make into shirts to sell at their Philly army/navy store.

I wish to could say we heard you about the plaid, but the decision not to was made independently.

The stripes are, however, great in everyone's opinion and that includes several retailers.

There were many patterns in the "boom era," including solid which doesn't make it any less "boom era." Materials, too. Charlie Davidson sold solid, silk madras back in the day. He's not "Ivy"?

If Members wish to be kept updated, I'm happy to. Please keep the snide comments to zero. They only shows you ignorance and Members here are VERY knowledgeable and FAR from ignorant. Why you've decided to display it as far as this discussion is concerned beats me. 

We're considering other plaids. Again, pictures don't help because - for technical reasons - the fabric can't be recreated from them. We do have many, many actual fabric swatches ourselves.

Several other labels are considering powerloomed samples, esp. for shirts. So, there ought to be plenty of madras on offer for spring-summer. (The jackets are the handloomed.)

There is NO other "bleeding" madras available - hand or powerloomed - except  and exclusively- from us.

Let others claiming that submit theirs to the India government - as did ours. See what they say. They're the authorities.

In the "boom" era, EVERYBODY wore madras. Not just Ivy Leaguers. Today, not just Ivy Leaguers are featuring it in their designs.

If Members want an exact replica of a "boom era" jacket, perhaps they can see if a manufacturer will do one. We'd be more than willing to sell them the piece goods for it. I don't know of any and I've contacted many.

Like Baracuta jackets, madras is not solely "Ivy." Elvis, Sinatra, and "skinheads" wore/wear them, too.

So: This is not the proper thread for discussion of them?

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-05 18:12:10)

#52 2017-02-05 19:29:35

Bradley

Last edited by Bradley (2017-02-05 19:37:59)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PlacidVintage

#53 2017-02-05 21:13:02

chatsworth osborne jr.

Not to be a naysayer, but what is the point of bleeding in an item that is meant to be dry clean only?  With that asked, I do like the idea of getting some olive fabric and rinsing it to the point where the colors muddy up and blend a bit before construction.  I'd be partial to dark colors with minimal contrast, as this tends to provide a delicious practicality much like ancient madder paisley ties possess.

#54 2017-02-06 00:46:09

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#55 2017-02-06 00:50:00

Tomiskinky

#56 2017-02-06 00:52:26

Yuca

Is the whole thing an elaborate Jim or more likely Andy B creation?

#57 2017-02-06 00:55:49

Chief Brody

#58 2017-02-06 01:06:56

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

"As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are"

Peter Cook

#59 2017-02-06 01:56:32

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Well if it's done one thing, this thread has put me off madras jackets.

Chief: I have washed bleeding madras jackets before. Cold, on the machine's 'hand wash' setting, with non-bio detergent, and then drip dried. They are pretty fragile especially when soaked. I actually wore one once, on a sunny and windy day, to dry it - and ended up with fetching purple arms.

If such a thing were available today, and if I were to buy one, I would concur with most others here re. colour and pattern - I would be looking at darker 'tweedy' based schemes, richer greens and browns. Not as 'boom years' as many seem to think, but would work with white or blue oxfords and polos in white, red or black

#60 2017-02-06 03:28:08

Sid Ford

#61 2017-02-06 13:08:28

Beestonplace

Bonus points for coining the term "boom era", i will add that to ivytrad etc.

So, madras sports jacket; has to be "authentic". Why not just have one made and wear it? Why does it have to be "original"??

Why all this reenactment game?

I LOVE , this foum

#62 2017-02-06 13:19:23

Beestonplace

And: I bet "Polo" Ralph Lauren does a madras jacket? Or, failing that, madras BD shirts?

I LOVE , this foum

#63 2017-02-06 14:48:26

aucociscokid2

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-06 15:16:06)

#64 2017-02-07 12:53:28

Yuca

Didn't we establish that the correct material for jackets is different to the correct material for shirts etc? In which case, are you sure that these are the correct weight for jackets? Although as I don't think any of us are interested in a contemporary style jacket it's academic anyway.

Those 3 fabrics above are nice although I don't know how they'd work for a jacket.

Last edited by Yuca (2017-02-07 13:18:53)

#65 2017-02-07 14:22:51

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

http://www.aucociscoschool.org

About the only reference to Aucocisco that came up on Google.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#66 2017-02-07 18:37:51

aucociscokid2

Pattern has nothing to do with weight. A pattern can be made into any weight fabric, presuming the pattern already exists as fabric. Or is designed by the dyer/weaver.

I get it: You want an exact replica of a "boom era" jacket. Can't sell many of those, which presents a problem. At least to those of us who want to make this a business.

What you guys want - I guess - is "authentrification" - cultural appropriation - a growing trend which has turned NY - among other cities - into theme parks. Wonderful! Just what's needed! More crap!

Me. W.A. Mozart. Albert Einstein. Isaac Newton. Steve Jobs. Baby. All the greats. The geniuses. The most creative. And richest. If you googled "aucocisco" and that's the only reference, there's something defective about the way your browser downloads from that site. Come on!

I may be a masochist. But, then, what does that make you guys? And how sick is that?

And what does my mentation have to do with fashion???

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-07 18:44:08)

#67 2017-02-07 23:44:04

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2017-02-08 02:00:23)

#68 2017-02-08 00:46:21

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2017-02-08 00:48:13)

#69 2017-02-08 00:50:43

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2017-02-08 00:52:19)

#70 2017-02-08 01:11:38

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Last edited by Moose Maclennan (2017-02-08 01:12:14)

#71 2017-02-08 01:20:07

Yuca

#72 2017-02-08 01:38:04

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#73 2017-02-08 02:04:21

aucociscokid2

Thanks Moose Maclellan and Yuca for taking this seriously and providing some actually useful information. We're looking to see whether we have any swatches similar to Bradley's 50s Brooks Uni Shop pattern. Will post them when/if we locate something similar for your comments. Any other Members with patterns which in their estimation would make good jackets, please post them as well and we'll see how closely they can be duplicated. We have no intention of doing anything other than a 3/2 roll, sack jacket. Suggestions like patch pockets/hook vents are also helpful and something we'd certainly consider. And something along the lines of J. Press. (Is that they Japanese J. Press to which you're referring?) And what I had in mind when I said "updating the original." Maybe I didn't make that clear. Intelligent, polite, constructive comments from those with taste and knowledge of Ivy League clothing (MOST Members) are always welcomed and appreciated. We're in your debt for taking the time to make them and thank you for helping make this project successful which is in all our interests.

My Acton_Baby! Can you share with us the source of your happiness and contentment? Talk about your SADD. Is it the time of year in the UK? Christos! That bile is going to eat away your insides (if it hasn't already!). The net effect on me is 0. What do I care if your insides are eaten away? Are you related to the new US president? Are you like married and have kids? My sympathies to them!

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2017-02-08 02:21:25)

#74 2017-02-08 03:31:40

Acton_Baby

^ you are a festering hoho-knuckle of of a troll, you only turn up when you have something to sell

You don't want others ideas, you just want validation of your own path and a cheap marketing opportunity.
You're like a turd in a swimming pool every where you turn up.

Hopefully the moderators will intervene and remove your bullshit and block your attempts at cheap marketing.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#75 2017-02-08 04:37:52

GeorgieBoy

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Design Imput Sought For "Bleeding" Madras Sports Jacket

Board footer