You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-01 13:51:25

Beestonplace

Continental black tie

#2 2017-05-01 15:52:26

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: Continental black tie

Yep, it's always struck me as a weird look. Best avoided imo.

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#3 2017-05-01 22:20:18

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Not a fan myself.  Is wearing a bow tie outside the collar points  too conformist? Im all for variations on black tie (depending on the forum it is being worn in) but it should look better, not worse than the original black tie kit.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#4 2017-05-01 22:33:03

Beestonplace

It will get you noticed

#5 2017-05-02 02:42:52

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/1845_img_1072.jpg

Robin Lord Taylor as Batman's foe The Penguin in Gotham.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#6 2017-05-02 07:59:06

Berkeley_Breathes

This used to be something a lot of jazz musicians wore in the 60s...

John Coltrane:
http://www.kalamu.com/bol/wp-content/content/images/coltrane%2076.jpg

Sam Rivers:
http://indianapublicmedia.org/nightlights/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/HLIC/e077bf92295584cb3eeba3463b26e067.jpg

Hendricks, Lambert and Ross:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/08/22/840822b7426b6d560400d844dfc5be01.jpg

Joe Williams:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lXEBR539oV8/VY3ZpSTzcGI/AAAAAAABrh4/GaMRw_ciy1Y/s1600/Joe%2BWilliams%2B-%2Bwilliam%2Bclaxton001.jpg

The Count Basie band:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/singer-frank-sinatra-in-a-dark-suit-performing-under-a-spotlight-with-picture-id529631959

Hands in pockets, just like Dad.

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

#7 2017-05-02 09:21:34

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Clothing is a function of time place and manner, right? There are times when a tie like that makes sense, like avoiding knocking it with your trumpet. I dont know that there are inappropriate clothes, just inappropriate forums for clothes. However, a person might have fixed ideas of what a man should be or how he should present himself which would narrow the choices of clothing for any situation permanently.

#8 2017-05-02 10:59:40

Berkeley_Breathes

Film Noir Buff wrote:

However, a person might have fixed ideas of what a man should be or how he should present himself which would narrow the choices of clothing for any situation permanently.

Smart statement, FNB, I very much agree...

#9 2017-05-02 11:42:44

Beestonplace

Film Noir Buff wrote:

a person might have fixed ideas of what a man should be or how he should present himself which would narrow the choices of clothing for any situation permanently.

Fully agree!

There are so many choices! But I, with my narrow view, knowing who I am and who not, refrain from wearing:

- skirts (including kilts)
- colours like mustard and mauve and peppermint green
- Cuban heels
- yellow shirts
- blue suede shoes
- drainpipe trousers
- funny black tie accessories
- cute armbands that make me look like someone who wants to look like a Goa dropout

etc

I believe, FNB, you have firm views of what a man should be. Dressing in a way that is a bit different from your local herd is fine, but it doesnt make you, as a person, different per se.

Or does a funny tie make a boring person funny?

#10 2017-05-02 16:15:17

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Clothing is a function of time place and manner, right? There are times when a tie like that makes sense, like avoiding knocking it with your trumpet.

Great point and something l hadn't thought about before. I have never minded this type of tie on musicians because l have always naturally thought it works for these type of people, but for weddings and most other type of situations it isn't doing people any favours IMO.

Woofboxer makes the point perfectly. The type of people wearing these type of ties (musicians and a small group excepted) makes me wonder about them for the wrong reasons. Some might even go as far to ask what these types have in the basements lol.

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#11 2017-05-02 19:38:28

stanshall

The_Shooman wrote:

... The type of people wearing these type of ties (musicians and a small group excepted) makes me wonder about them for the wrong reasons. Some might even go as far to ask what these types have in the basements lol.

https://horrorpediadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/dntlkbsmnt.jpg

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#12 2017-05-02 21:02:25

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

a person might have fixed ideas of what a man should be or how he should present himself which would narrow the choices of clothing for any situation permanently.

Fully agree!

There are so many choices! But I, with my narrow view, knowing who I am and who not, refrain from wearing:

- skirts (including kilts)
- colours like mustard and mauve and peppermint green
- Cuban heels
- yellow shirts
- blue suede shoes
- drainpipe trousers
- funny black tie accessories
- cute armbands that make me look like someone who wants to look like a Goa dropout

etc

I believe, FNB, you have firm views of what a man should be. Dressing in a way that is a bit different from your local herd is fine, but it doesnt make you, as a person, different per se.

Or does a funny tie make a boring person funny?

It's OK to be like that as long as you understand not everyone is like that. There are some men who think a man should never wear anything but a white shirt for business. I dont agree with that sentiment but i understand where they are coming from. Likewise, there are some men who think you should NEVER wear a white shirt for business and again, I do not agree with them but I see their point as well.

#13 2017-05-03 02:31:31

Beestonplace

But FNB why should I wear any of these horrible things I have listed, when I know that they don't suit me?

Again, dressing in an "interesting" way doesn't make a person interesting. Like a tattoo doesn't make a person interesting. Its rather mainstream nowadays.

#14 2017-05-03 08:48:51

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

But FNB why should I wear any of these horrible things I have listed, when I know that they don't suit me?

Again, dressing in an "interesting" way doesn't make a person interesting. Like a tattoo doesn't make a person interesting. Its rather mainstream nowadays.

You shouldn't have to and no one should be able to make you. However, why isnt that good enough for you and why are you concerned with what others wear?

Dressing in an interesting way may not make you intrinsically more interesting but it can both be indicative that you were already interesting or give the impression that you are interesting whether you are or not. I dont know what point you are trying to make but I assume you take issue with anyone who dresses to gain attention. Again, I have to point out that though you are entitled to your opinion, you demonstrate a somewhat fixed idea of the purpose or the "language" of clothes and you will simply have to come to grips with the fact that this isnt how clothing and fashion operate and, additionally, that you cannot bolster your ideas simply by condemning what others do and have someone who is something of a considered opinion on the subject agree with you.

#15 2017-05-03 12:42:25

Beestonplace

Well.

1: What about the creative set, Jobs with his black turtleneck etc. Often they dress in an almost minimalistic way. Or writers and acadmics, who have a lot to say, original thinkers, often dont care about clothes at all.

2: Salvador Dali and Karl Lagerfeld aside, show me a few people who put an extra effort in dressing in a way that gets noticed who have achieved, created, build something. Tom Wolfe, maybe. Karajan, with his white turtleneck (again).

3big_smileo you think Crompton is an interesting chap to spend a long train journey with? Do you think these Pippi Homo guys have good table manners, or have written a book?

I am not judging, just describing the world out there. Even the creative class underlies a certain dress code, as Hells Angels do, as any social group does.

Last edited by Beestonplace (2017-05-03 12:47:53)

#16 2017-05-03 21:00:39

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Beestonplace wrote:

Well.

1: What about the creative set, Jobs with his black turtleneck etc. Often they dress in an almost minimalistic way. Or writers and acadmics, who have a lot to say, original thinkers, often dont care about clothes at all.

2: Salvador Dali and Karl Lagerfeld aside, show me a few people who put an extra effort in dressing in a way that gets noticed who have achieved, created, build something. Tom Wolfe, maybe. Karajan, with his white turtleneck (again).

3big_smileo you think Crompton is an interesting chap to spend a long train journey with? Do you think these Pippi Homo guys have good table manners, or have written a book?

I am not judging, just describing the world out there. Even the creative class underlies a certain dress code, as Hells Angels do, as any social group does.

I find artists to like clothes. Maybe Crompton is interesting maybe the Pitti Uomo guys are interesting, I dont know, I dont think I've ever met any of them. I do know that dingy dressers, usually arent interesting but rarely, if they are someone intelligent and articulate, they can be very interesting.

Everyone is interested in clothes, dont kid yourself.

#17 2017-05-06 15:25:31

Berkeley_Breathes

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Entertainment/GTY-Robert-Wagner-Natalie-Wood-MEM-161118.jpg

#18 2017-05-06 15:46:49

Beestonplace

Just weird.

She is hot

Board footer