You are not logged in.

#51 2021-09-27 10:51:28

A Fine Sadness

Re: Anyone else bored with Instagram yet?

Blimey.  I remember the old pervert on 'TOTP' circa 1970, around the time we kiddies first heard of Marc Bolan, Bowie etc.  I mean, he just looked ludicrous.  Must have some loot stashed away if he can afford to live around there.  Thanks, Mark - and thanks, too, to Yuca for putting me on the right track.

#52 2021-09-27 10:57:43

Yuca

The bastard who took control of the UK mod scene in the early 1980s was another one. In retrospect the presence of vast numbers of under 16s was probably his only real interest. He certainly used to dress like crap.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#53 2021-09-27 11:48:01

A Fine Sadness

Mark something-or-other?

#54 2021-09-27 12:02:45

Yuca

Johnson. I had the displeasure of meeting him once when I was 17 years old. Fortunately I had a mate with me at the time so no untoward behaviour but I was struck by how badly dressed he was.  I was naively expecting a famous London mod to look a lot better than an 11 year old who had discovered the mod scene a week earlier.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#55 2021-09-27 12:15:57

A Fine Sadness

It was a peculiar and unpleasant time.  That film has a lot to answer for.  The violence became unbearable in 1979 - and it hadn't been any too clever since 'Anarchy In The UK' and 'God Save The Queen' when the teds started steaming into us.  Just going and buying an LP or simply hanging around became risky.  Some of us had broken away from all that Clash/'London Calling' stuff by then and were looking for alternatives.  The majority turned towards the mod revival, The Specials etc.  One or two of us had begun reading Sartre, Camus and Burroughs, gasping on Gitanes and visiting the arty cinema to watch Brando.  Then I simply shifted myself away to Manchester - and violence of a different nature, courtesy of the Salford Perry boys.

#56 2021-09-27 14:05:58

RobbieB

Garry Glitter- good piece of cockney rhyming slang that I've heard used on occasion.
As in 'he takes it up the'

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#57 2021-09-28 17:03:21

Tworussellstreet

I'm always a bit baffled at the talk of violence in the 70s and 80s. I was born in 64 and grew up in Liverpool. I attended a comprehensive school and went to many football matches. I hardly saw or experienced any trouble. Was I just lucky?

On Instagram - well yes there's plenty of tedious posing and nonsense on there, but there is also some great stuff - some amazing visuals and you can squeeze in some decent prose if you fancy. its's a medium I enjoy, and, man, you can't swing a cat for all the swinging cats...

#58 2021-09-29 00:29:37

A Fine Sadness

I think you were lucky.  I witnessed some terrible scenes.  Harmless Elvis fan hurled against a plate glass window.  I had my nose broken twice.  Mods went rampaging through what became Westfield.  A stand-off on the market place between mod revivalists and teds/rockers, with the police in between.  Manchester was an oasis of calm in comparison.  I read, went to the cinema, theatre, galleries.  Even treated myself to a French or Italian meal occasionally.  Grew up a bit, thank God.

#59 2021-09-29 10:47:54

RobbieB

I was involved in a fracas with Liverpool football fans in 1981. Me and 20 odd mates met up in the Tottenham pub, Tottenham Court Road for pre match drinks, League Cup final. On entering the platform at TCR station we were confronted by a mass of Liverpool fans waiting to catch West Ham fans offguard. As we were tanked up we ran towards them. We were outnumbered and came off worse. One mate got mugged for his ticket and ended up in hospital. He laughs about it today because he got some kind of compensation (his dad was a policeman and knew the system).
We all met up again down Wembley way. The game went to a replay at Villa Park and we went expecting more trouble but the Police in the Midlands were tough bastards that could easily handle trouble.
Police had good control around football grounds but in London it would kick off at railway/underground stations.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#60 2021-09-29 10:58:23

An Unseen Scene

Nottingham was incredibly violent in 80s. I have too many stories, being hidden in Littlewoods storeroom by the staff when Skin/Boneheads came in coach loads one Saturday, a huge ongoing fight in Broadmarsh centre among the shoppers, Forest 'fans' had their own violence based pub and would tear up either in or at edge of city, a rocker who pulled out an axe when confronted. Many normal Friday nights drinking involved water canons on Market St back then.  At a Mod wedding in Kettering it went off so badly I was on News At Ten running away, so bad it spilled into the hospital with running fights in A&E.  I was threatened, chased or worse every week, it was constant.  It was little better in the week in the local area. Former friends who years later were sp wasted they threatened you in bars. Scooter boys turning up in vans to find me and kick my head in. How I got through unscathed I don't know when others ended up on different paths.

I pity the adults now just trying to shop and live life back then.

But having Joe Tucker and full Notts Mod scooter crew turn up at school lunch to sort out bullies for me unprompted, was kind of amazing. Full on Quadrophenia moment, them all on scooters in the grounds, me calming it down. Teachers asking me to come sort it as it was about me.  Never had even a collar ruffled after that.

Commanhay was mentioned early, that was worse. I had a girlfriend in Ilkeston and the violent far right were based in Cotmanhay. I was chased for even going near it.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2021-09-29 11:29:49)

#61 2021-09-29 12:52:36

A Fine Sadness

Kid to me in a street in Florence:

'You English?'

'Yes, English'.

'Good.  You know Harry The Dog?'

#62 2021-09-29 12:56:58

A Fine Sadness

Apologies to Woof for derailing his thread.

#63 2021-10-30 09:50:10

Skipper

Back to topic. I set up an account after deleting the old one a long time ago. The avatar is the same as here and the name is skipperism. Let the networking begin.

Board footer