You are not logged in.

#26 2017-05-25 14:43:26

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Jim

oxford cloth button down wrote:

Who types like this? Is it a student style? It is incoherrent at best.

I don't know who Jim is so please do not read into this. Also, I would caution you about thinking that being talked about on Talk Ivy somehow correlates to viral media or media manipulation.

Ha! And I can tell you that it is definitely NOT any student style that I've seen...

Especially in the posts where he's discussing his coursework, it doesn't read at all like anyone in any strata of academia. From my experience, the first post would have been something like, "Hello all, my name is ______ and I am in a class on media blah blah blah at my university/college/whatever. I have some questions and thought that this community would be a good source for my project, which is [something specific]" - then a series of questions, and we could have answered them.

Instead we get weird screeds, absolutely nothing to indicate what specifically the coursework is or what the goal of him being here is, and vague references to school being thrown in to remind us that that's the cover story. I don't see why a student with absolutely no history of being on TI or even involvement with any Ivy-style related community, especially with a focus on advertising and media, would go to Jim's website or establishment mentioned, even if that student is in the UK. It makes 100% more sense to look through the Boom Years thread and hunt down those sources, find stan, or Billax or someone like him, and interview him, and get some recommendations on books, movies etc. to check out for further research. Jim, whoever he may be, seems irrelevant to any self-respecting course, project, or student who doesn't know him already.

That's my two cents, as someone who's done a fair amount of research on stuff in my day.

I don't mind if Ian stays a member here, he starts threads (or did) and asks questions, so good for him. But this is kid stuff. I'm inclined to believe him when he says he isn't Jim, because he says it every single time in exactly the same way, and my gut says he's telling the truth. But if, Ian, you're actually a student, you're gonna fail this course, because you're doing it wrong. And if you are someone else and you're faking to get in here, you'd do much better to man up and be honest about who you are - not so we can insult you or hound you, but just so we can actually interact with you and not with a faker. And that's what I'm absolutely sure you are, and I find it hard to respect someone like that.

Ian, feel free to PM me about this. I'd be happy to hear out your side of this, as long as it's the real one.

"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other." - John F. Kennedy

"Always take your job seriously, never yourself." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

#27 2017-05-25 18:10:17

Chipper

I for one cannot believe the attention this thread is getting while far more worthwhile and substantive postings in the Vinyl Spins thread go virtually ignored.

"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown
Back by popular demand, The Old Man and the Tweed. On tumblr.

#28 2017-05-25 20:03:07

Berkeley_Breathes

Chipper wrote:

I for one cannot believe the attention this thread is getting while far more worthwhile and substantive postings in the Vinyl Spins thread go virtually ignored.

Haha fair enough... I, for one, here and now recognize the hard work Chip puts in every day on the Vinyl Spins thread, and agree that it should get more conversational posts... As should Groovin' at the I Spot...

#29 2017-05-26 00:51:11

Yuca

Ian Lawton wrote:

And do please tell me please how I prove a negative? I'm not him.

I already have. Please PM me or a moderator with proof that you exist.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#30 2017-05-26 04:43:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The very idea of Jim drinking tonic water on its own whilst someone nearby is necking voddys is just absurd.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#31 2017-05-26 05:04:15

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Chipper wrote:

Haha fair enough... I, for one, here and now recognize the hard work Chip puts in every day on the Vinyl Spins thread, and agree that it should get more conversational posts... As should Groovin' at the I Spot...

Maybe invite Ian Lawton over to the Vinyl Spins thread to really get the vinyl spinning.

“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

#32 2017-05-26 07:36:11

Berkeley_Breathes

Haha... but in seriousness I'd be happy to have Ian doing anything but this thread here on FNB... It's a waste of energy to be going around in circles about something that will always be a he said/he said without someone posting real personal information, which I can understand people might not want to do, and should never do unless it's a PM to a mod as a last resort.

I can't see what else is going to be gained from this thread, as Yuca is correct, the case for the prosecution has been made very well by several of us here. But the defense isn't giving up the fight, and as I say his only real way of winning is by providing personal ID or verification of some kind, like holding up a piece of paper Reddit-style.

I'm tempted to say that this topic is closed, and that Ian has to either start producing some content on the forum or go, but I also understand that he's been kind of inextricably linked with this controversy here on FNB, and for good reason.

Here's my solution. Ian, please PM me, woofboxer or stanshall and we can discuss verifying that you are not Jim in a satisfying way that still keeps your information private. I'm not asking you to do this, I'm telling you to do it.

If you're not Jim, then you'll be free to produce some actual content here on FNB. If you are Jim, or you don't produce any content but continue to engage in this debate, then you're gone. If you aren't Jim, then everyone else will just have to let this go and allow you to be a member here, hopefully drama-free.

If you refuse to work with us to disprove this (which logically you should be happy to do) and just maintain this status quo, my vote would be to ban you, because as of now you aren't contributing anything to the forum. So please PM a mod, and start producing some actual content on the forum.

#33 2017-05-31 06:23:17

Ian Lawton

I think this is just a classic case of "don't like the message, shoot the messenger". Also consider that apart from my own personal observations and opinions the "message" is not mine. How do I know if he sells to Russians & his real name is Rupert? I'm just passing stuff on.
Also my first post here, now deleted, was one of personal introduction. Also I had two quite nice threads on the main Talk Ivy forum regarding Pincord & Seersucker. And there my interest lies.
This "Jim" obsession is nothing to do with me.
Give my personal details to a bunch of obviously creepy and obsessed internet people? I think not.
Lock this thread down. Delete it. I never started it. That was done by one of the "Jim" fan club.
I also note that nobody has proved that I'm Frostie because nobody can. This is because I'm not.
Get a grip you people. "Talk Ivy".
And if I wanted to be unpopular, which I don't, I'd question why you are all propping up and running his forum for him, making a big show of being against him whilst working for him if you realise it or not. It makes no sense. Trad, Ivy Style & Talk Ivy were contrived into being by him so he could pick other people's brains. He's very blatant about that. Having created the places he always clears off to get others to do all the work. Ugly but true. look at the pattern.
Lock this thread!

#34 2017-05-31 07:09:37

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Ian Lawton wrote:

Trad, Ivy Style & Talk Ivy were contrived into being by him so he could pick other people's brains. He's very blatant about that. Having created the places he always clears off to get others to do all the work. Ugly but true. look at the pattern.

Look at the pattern  ... yeah look at the disrupted pattern of your writing, shot through with stock Jim phrases and the usual nonsense about behind the scenes manipulation, trolling Ivy Style into being blah blah blah!

We work on the balance of probabilities here, not proof beyond all reasonable doubt. We know you're Jim coz someone told us.......you can never keep your mouth shut.

It stopped being your forum a long time ago. You can stay until you get boring or start to annoy people.

Best x

John Simons

#35 2017-05-31 08:17:47

Berkeley_Breathes

Ian Lawton wrote:

I think this is just a classic case of "don't like the message, shoot the messenger". Also consider that apart from my own personal observations and opinions the "message" is not mine. How do I know if he sells to Russians & his real name is Rupert? I'm just passing stuff on.
Also my first post here, now deleted, was one of personal introduction. Also I had two quite nice threads on the main Talk Ivy forum regarding Pincord & Seersucker. And there my interest lies.
Give my personal details to a bunch of obviously creepy and obsessed internet people? I think not.
Lock this thread down. Delete it. I never started it. That was done by one of the "Jim" fan club.
I also note that nobody has proved that I'm Frostie because nobody can. This is because I'm not.
And if I wanted to be unpopular, which I don't, I'd question why you are all propping up and running his forum for him, making a big show of being against him whilst working for him if you realise it or not. It makes no sense. Trad, Ivy Style & Talk Ivy were contrived into being by him so he could pick other people's brains. He's very blatant about that. Having created the places he always clears off to get others to do all the work. Ugly but true. look at the pattern.
Lock this thread!

You're gone.

http://thebostonhotspot.yolasite.com/resources/270795_1828832169479_1500572589_31461803_7267737_n.jpg

#36 2017-05-31 09:24:45

stanshall

http://goldandorsmith.com/GIFs/ShowwalterEjected,EjectsUmps.gif

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#37 2017-05-31 12:24:14

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#38 2017-05-31 12:32:18

stanshall

http://secondratesnacks.com/images/mello.jpg

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#39 2017-05-31 12:50:48

adorable homunculus

If the moderators will permit me; a footnote to this grisly tale.

Is this intended as an echo of the Andy from Cheshire who was drummed off this forum back in the day?

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/for … ost1833083

Last edited by adorable homunculus (2017-05-31 12:53:35)

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#40 2017-05-31 12:52:11

Chet

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#41 2017-05-31 13:27:30

Berkeley_Breathes

adorable homunculus wrote:

If the moderators will permit me; a footnote to this grisly tale.

Is this intended as an echo of the Andy from Cheshire who was drummed off this forum back in the day?

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/for … ost1833083

HAHAHA

#42 2017-05-31 13:40:52

Berkeley_Breathes

Feel free to celebrate for a while, all. Then this thread is going in the trash.

As a moderator, I'd like to say thanks to everyone for staying civil and not taking cheap shots or letting any stray bullets fly off into the crowd - for the most part, which is really all that anyone could ask for.

https://media.giphy.com/media/HyDAt79JnlY4M/giphy.gif

#43 2017-05-31 14:20:43

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Poor old Ruby

She lived out her dotage in Torquay where she had a 'turbulent personal life' and turned to drink. I met her a couple of times in the line of duty, it was sad to see her like that..

John Simons

#44 2017-05-31 15:29:50

Chet

woofboxer wrote:

Poor old Ruby

She lived out her dotage in Torquay where she had a 'turbulent personal life' and turned to drink. I met her a couple of times in the line of duty, it was sad to see her like that..

Sad indeed.

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#45 2017-05-31 17:20:28

Chipper

So, who the fuck is Jim?

Last edited by Chipper (2017-05-31 17:20:59)

"Duvel copied my homework." ~ Unknown
Back by popular demand, The Old Man and the Tweed. On tumblr.

#46 2017-06-05 13:09:44

doghouse

Chipper wrote:

So, who the fuck is Jim?

You'd best let that one go.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#47 2017-06-06 02:56:48

adorable homunculus

Chipper wrote:

So, who the fuck is Jim?

A notorious internet troll, given to disruptive posting under multiple usernames across a variety of menswear forums.

Who would have the time, or inclination, for that sort of behaviour? It seems barely plausible, eh Chipper? 

wink

Last edited by adorable homunculus (2017-06-06 02:57:03)

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#48 2017-06-06 05:36:08

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Chipper wrote:

So, who the fuck is Jim?

It's not Jim, it's Rupert.

You can use this Trojan definition as a metaphor for our Rupert

"In computing, a Trojan horse, or Trojan, is any malicious computer program which is used to hack into a computer by misleading users of its true intent. The term is derived from the Ancient Greek story of the wooden horse that was used to help Greek troops invade the city of Troy by stealth"

“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

#49 2017-06-21 01:54:00

Yuca

Ian Lawton wrote:

Lock this thread!

I've only just seen this. If there were any doubts about 'Ian' being yet another cry for help from Jim (there aren't) this would make it certain.

For the record: Jim has no fan club, and if he did I sure as hell wouldn't be joining it.

Last edited by Yuca (2017-06-21 02:25:39)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#50 2017-06-24 16:20:43

SenorBlues

Jim's alter egos are transparent from the very first post, betrayed by the tell tale writing style which he just can't seem to disguise. Quite a serious flaw for one set on a career of masquerading.

The main giveaway for me is the frequent and inappropriate use of question marks?

And the staccato sentences?

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

Board footer