You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-03 05:20:09

An Unseen Scene

Ivy Style primer

Hi all,

John Simons was tweating this from a couple of years back earlier this morning so including here in case it stimulates any chat.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/ivy-style-primer/

Thanks

#2 2017-06-03 06:16:10

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Ivy Style primer

Thanks for the heads up, Unseen...

Cool tennis shot in there. I think the ideal article would try to distinguish between Ivy, Preppy and Trad - maybe an impossible task... Anyone have that Patricia Mears book?

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#3 2017-06-03 07:15:17

An Unseen Scene

I picked up the latest Summer wear themed issue of Esquire UK recently in the supermarket and was pleasantly surprised to see how Ivy/prep the summer wear recommended was that that a style feature had Ivy usual celebrities as their 'style heroes'.  Nothing especially new or stimulating for anyone here, but given that Esquire and GQ had become so fashion forward it seemed under the new Editor is was more balanced.  It was enough to stimulate a coffeee and flick through Hollywood and the Ivy Look once again.

#4 2017-06-03 10:09:03

Chipper

I'm neither Ivy nor Trad. I'm Trod.

#5 2017-06-03 11:15:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I'm more Trivy ....

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#6 2017-06-03 12:11:08

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

i'm a  Large Skinny Americano

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#7 2017-06-03 15:42:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#8 2017-06-03 18:05:31

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#9 2017-06-03 20:42:50

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#10 2017-06-03 21:23:57

Berkeley_Breathes

...That "more colleges than shopping malls" line is such a tell... I thought he was talking about how the style developed and why? Oh, no, I guess he's talking about Cambridge today, and managing to do it in a way that shows he's a) never been to Cambridge (ANY shopping malls in Cambridge? Referring to Cambridge as a "town"? What?) and b) is probably the kind of person who says "kids these days" without realizing he IS one of the kids these days...

Great point also stan about the paradoxes, and it's why I'm really glad Unseen posted this here. Sometimes we talk about how Ivy has been dredged to the bottom on the internet, and wonder what else there can be to say... If only Ian Lawton had been a real person with interesting posts because I do think media/advertising is a fascinating lens with which to view this style, it's something that comes up naturally with the Boom Years ads or the Playboy thread but this is a great example too.

This article is selling a snooty attitude but it's selling clothes, too, hence the links... And just like Playboy used to do, and mags like GQ do still, it's selling you a lifestyle based on a sense of inferiority, "You're such a loser, but if you bought these AUTHENTIC AND GENUWINE Brooks Brothers chinos and got just enough info to feel like an expert, you'd be just like those Harvard lawyers!" It's fun to make fun of that, and by all means let's do that because it's hilarious big_smile But it also brings up this really cool conversation that just surfaced recently in the Boom Years thread about regional stores selling Ivy style, or in the Time Machine thread when woof put a "British spin" on it... Which is that while Ivy style had a genesis in the Ivy schools or wherever, by the time it got to Joe Snuffy's house in Minnesota or Nebraska or Texas, not to mention the U.K. or of course Japan, it was something different, and I'd argue something more interesting for the journey.

To do what this article is doing is so boring! "Lemme give you the real straight dope on what this is." No, man, let me do what I want with it! Let me inject some Florida flavor in this Ivy style and make tropical Ivy or NASA Ivy! Let me pull on some Bean and make, I don't know, Northern Ivy... Let me smash Ivy and prep together and make late 70s prep... etc. etc...

#11 2017-06-04 02:12:35

Yuca

The person who wrote it seems to have pretty much no idea what they are talking about.

Last edited by Yuca (2017-06-04 02:12:49)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#12 2017-06-04 03:14:31

Martin G

It's like the person working for the current owners of the movie and those responsible for final checking of the work, who are apparently so concerned to let people know that by sticking the logo in the corner, not seeing the image is flopped!

Last edited by Martin G (2017-06-04 03:16:34)

#13 2017-06-04 09:19:24

Acton_Baby

Fucking hell, what a heap of bollox.
It reads like a bad Google translation.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#14 2017-06-04 11:30:12

stanshall

#15 2017-06-04 15:43:46

Bradley

My favorite comment from this misinformed and borderline revisionist piece:

Dr. Bob Strippy: "Terribly sorry, but Ivy is a brand upon the soul, not a style. You can’t achieve it by any form of dress. You have to earn a degree from one of the eight Ivies. It’s easy to tell real alumni from impostors in costume; two or three well-known questions will do it, as only real Ivy Leaguers will know the correct answers. And despite Lisa Birnbaum’s entertaining Preppy Handbook, you can’t become preppy by dress, car, or any other external accessories. You have to be born preppy, and by the way, it’s limited to WASPs. Finally, the preferred chinos among the Ivy do not come from Brooks Brothers, which is now just another chain retailer like Jos. A. Bank or Men’s Wearhouse; they come from L.L. Bean, outfitter to the authentic Ivy and the preppy for almost a century. I know whereof I speak: Episcopal Academy, 1952; B.A., B.Arch., University of Pennsylvania, 1956; M.A. Harvard, 1957; and D.Litt., D.Mus. Paris, 1960 (well, you can’t get everything you want at the Ivies)."

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PlacidVintage

#16 2017-06-04 17:59:59

Berkeley_Breathes

#17 2017-06-04 19:33:30

stanshall

/\  it's funny you and Bradley both got on ol' "Doc" Stroppy ....

of course preppies have long been available in all flavors, especially today ....

--------------------

anyway, having access to J. Press in college was good, it was a security blanket made out of flap-pocket oxford shirts ....

most of the time you could run around like I did in some old t-shirts and lacrosse shorts and Foot-Joy squash shoes and a Champion zip hoodie in beautiful Durene, wear stuff like that for weeks on end, but when you needed it J. Squeeze was only a block or two away and you could clean up your act with their help and that of Barrie Ltd, the shoe shop next door,

but we weren't wearing coded Ivy stuff all the time, just every once in a while,

some of my favorite memories are of my winter late-night runs for eggplant parmigiana grinders, cheesesteaks, burger subs, Connecticut hot lobster rolls, hot pastrami subs, souvlaki sandwiches, pizza, and hot chocolate, and for those missions I had a sort of uniform, which  consisted of a long-sleeved navy blue cotton waffle t-shirt, a pair of old Levi's 505s, gray and white ragg socks, L. L. Bean pull-on lounger boots, and over it all I had a tan poplin Ventile down jacket with a forest-green quilted ripstop nylon inner lining .....

that outfit was awesome whatever you call it

wearing head-to-toe Bean was strictly for rookies though

#18 2017-06-05 00:08:21

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

^ Coded fast food, eaten to mark yourself out from students of lesser educational establishments.

John Simons

#19 2017-06-05 00:32:37

stanshall

/\  that is funny but: none of that stuff was fast food, all of those places were one-of-a-kind operations, no chains or franchises .....

that was a truly great thing about that town, the food was the stuff of legend ......

----

it is true that the Shaggy Dog sweater has an awesome sort of power ... Ancient Madder too ... the words "Ancient Madder" are actually part of the code .....

I could get myself in trouble by saying more ... already said too much ... look to the emblematic ties for more clues .....

people put themselves in their own places when they see a Shaggy Dog, you don't have to do anything at all but wear it and voila

Board footer