You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-02 03:47:31

Yuca

Unexpected ivy in literature

From Len Deighton, Yesterday's Spy, 1975 - a UK perception of ivy at the time it was still common:

Colonel Schlegel, U.S. Marine Corps (Air Wing), Retired, cut a dapper figure in a lightweight houndstooth three-piece, fake club-tie and button-down cotton shirt. It was the kind of outfit they sell in those Los Angeles shops that have bow windows and plastic Tudor beams.

And that, decades later, would be lovingly sought out after its original owner was long dead, to be admired and traded by a small group of international eccentrics.

(Not that I'm anywhere near capable of crafting a sentence like Deighton can.)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#2 2017-08-02 03:50:27

Yuca

Re: Unexpected ivy in literature

First in an occasional series. I recall an early Ellroy has some good ivy references. And there's one I promised years ago from the 40s about a millionaire college student with an extensive ivy wardrobe.

#3 2017-08-02 04:24:51

Babbling Brooks

Have you read any Richard Allen?

#4 2017-08-02 05:56:29

Yuca

Yes. It aroused me.

#5 2017-08-02 06:49:33

I am the sea

From 'Catcher in the Rye'

On my right there was this very Joe Yale-looking guy, in a gray flannel suit and one of those flitty-looking Tattersall vests. All those Ivy League bastards look alike. My father wants me to go to Yale, or maybe Princeton, but I swear, I wouldn't go to one of those Ivy League colleges, if I was dying, for God's sake.

#6 2017-08-02 19:52:36

plastic palm tree

Quite a few references to Ivy in Deighton's work.  I remember Harry Palmer referring to his particular collection of Brooks Brothers shirts.  Deighton was a former ad-man I believe, and spent time in the US.

#7 2017-08-02 19:56:32

plastic palm tree

Found it thanks to google books

In Spy Story:
"I went into the bedroom end opened the wardrobe to go through the clothes again. I told myself that these were not my clothes, for I couldn't be positive they were. I mean, I don't have the sort of clothes that I can be quite sure that no one else has, but the combination of Brooks Brothers, Marks and Sparks and Turnbull and Asser can't be in everyone's wardrobe. Especially when they are five years out of fashion."

In Billions Dollar Brain:
"I went back to the hotel to collect my baggage, a quarter-full bottle of whisky, two paperback books - The Thirty Yean War by Wedgwood and The Complete Guide to New York City - one worsted suit, four cotton oxfords, socks and underwear in one small fibre-board case.'

"I had a shower and Caroni put me on a slab and punched hell out of my surplus fats while explaining some of the finer points of coronary heart disease. A suit - Dacron and worsted herringbone - came along as if by magic in one of those blue Brooks Brothers' boxes. By the time I was ushered up into Midwinter's private apartment at the top of his. office block, I looked like I'd come to sell him insurance."

#8 2017-08-02 19:59:44

plastic palm tree

Harry Palmer a modernist for sure in his outlook, Deighton as well.  Upwardly mobile, stylish, both Amerophile and Europhile

#9 2017-08-02 20:01:11

plastic palm tree

A must for swinging bachelors everywhere:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Len-Deighton-Cookbook.jpg

Last edited by plastic palm tree (2017-08-02 20:01:23)

#10 2017-08-02 23:28:00

stanshall

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c6/2c/ba/c62cba76f7cb4d7017f25fc7c4d653b5--film-music-books-vintage-books.jpg

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#11 2017-08-02 23:29:29

stanshall

https://pictures.abebooks.com/PJK/17725565409.jpg

#12 2017-08-03 02:41:35

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Have you read any Richard Allen?

Yuca wrote:

Yes. It aroused me.

Gotta love Mr Yuca....

“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

#13 2017-08-03 06:48:34

Yuca

Thanks!

I couldn't have done it without my consultant GG and my straight man BB.

Last edited by Yuca (2017-08-03 07:12:30)

#14 2017-08-03 18:48:21

McGeorge Bundyburger

Yuca wrote:

I recall an early Ellroy has some good ivy references.

There's certainly a few detailed passages in his memoir "My Dark Places" about his wardrobe when he was a teenage delinquent in early 1960s LA.  Must look them up.

By the by, I had the chance to meet Ellroy in a professional capacity a couple of years back, when he complimented me on my loafers - he actually used the term Weejuns - before adding that he couldn't wear such shoes because they killed his feet.  Instead, he was wearing deck shoes, chinos and a board shirt over a polo shirt. (Yes, I'm afraid I remember his get-up.)

Unsurprisingly, he was a fascinating guy. Not the easiest man in the world, but really compelling company.

#15 2017-08-03 20:58:56

stanshall

plastic palm tree wrote:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-co … okbook.jpg

thanks PPT, I enjoy looking at the great Len Deighton's cooking comic strips but his sandwich suggestions are freaking bizarre to me today (with the exception of the peanut butter and crispy bacon on whole wheat):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MWNfwErEC8k/TN19mOiXwNI/AAAAAAAAB8U/14xNroLPjGc/s1600/sandwich_action.jpg

#16 2017-08-03 22:41:01

Berkeley_Breathes

stanshall wrote:

plastic palm tree wrote:

http://www.voicesofeastanglia.com/wp-co … okbook.jpg

thanks PPT, I enjoy looking at the great Len Deighton's cooking comic strips but his sandwich suggestions are freaking bizarre to me today (with the exception of the peanut butter and crispy bacon on whole wheat):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MWNfwErEC8k/T … action.jpg

A hot dog is NOT a sandwich. Add some mustard and I'd eat the diced olive (fuck celery) and cold chicken sandwich, though.

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#17 2017-08-04 02:28:32

Yuca

McGeorge Bundyburger wrote:

Yuca wrote:

I recall an early Ellroy has some good ivy references.

There's certainly a few detailed passages in his memoir "My Dark Places" about his wardrobe when he was a teenage delinquent in early 1960s LA.  Must look them up.

By the by, I had the chance to meet Ellroy in a professional capacity a couple of years back, when he complimented me on my loafers - he actually used the term Weejuns - before adding that he couldn't wear such shoes because they killed his feet.  Instead, he was wearing deck shoes, chinos and a board shirt over a polo shirt. (Yes, I'm afraid I remember his get-up.)

Unsurprisingly, he was a fascinating guy. Not the easiest man in the world, but really compelling company.

Good stuff.

#18 2017-09-22 13:18:59

Berkeley_Breathes

Not exactly unexpected Ivy, but I finally got around to reading "The Graduate," which obviously became one of the most Ivy movies out there... Really enjoyed the book, it's a very quick read and is very close to the movie as well... Recommended.

#19 2017-09-22 14:03:44

Yuca

I love the film but found the book very dated and disappointing. Although I'd like to reread it to see if my opinion would change (it was around a decade ago that I read it).

#20 2017-09-22 14:21:34

Berkeley_Breathes

Yuca wrote:

I love the film but found the book very dated and disappointing. Although I'd like to reread it to see if my opinion would change (it was around a decade ago that I read it).

There are definitely elements of the book that don't hold up, some homophobia etc., and I certainly wouldn't say it's a masterpiece of "Literature" (whatever that is). But it was a fun quick read, for sure, and interesting to read with the movie in mind - I think Nichols did a good job of translating Benjamin and Mrs. Robinson to the screen as they appeared in the book, and a better job of making the other characters stand out more (everyone does have a tendency to blend together in the book).

Charles Webb is apparently a total nutcase. He actually published a "sequel" to TG that was pretty universally judged to be shit.

Board footer