You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-25 17:13:58

Berkeley_Breathes

Pockets

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#2 2017-08-26 01:58:11

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Pockets

At work I generally wear a jacket in all but the hottest weather, so the various pockets on a blazer take care of most of the problem. I also carry a Filson briefcase with a load of little places in it to put stuff.

The problems start off duty in the summer when you want to go out in a short sleeve shirt and shorts. I reluctantly accept  the need to carry a canvas man-bag thingy I bought in Tanners Leather shop in Richmond (sadly closed now), its the best one I've seen. I also wear Dickies cargo shorts a lot in the summer, they're not stylish but they're cheap, tough enough to cycle in and they have the deceptively spacious extra pockets on the legs.

Modern trouser pockets are generally lousy, as part of the cutting back on material drive most of them barely accommodate a wallet. I derive comfort from putting on a pair of Hertling made trousers which have pockets that are so deep that I can put my hands in them and straighten my arms out. I see old man Hertling passed away the other day and new people have taken over promising to maintain the company traditions ... whiich in the clothing business usually means it will have gone to pot within 18 months.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2017-08-26 08:15:25

stanshall

/\  keep wallet, keys, and phone about my person; papers in a briefcase; towel, t-shirt, book, water in a tote bag or gymsack; slightly larger amounts of stuff in a backpack or small duffel bag depending;  sunglasses in shirt pocket or hanging off the collar of the shirt .....

never have stored much in suit, sport coat or blazer pockets, prefer the pockets in the trousers, more secure to me ......

I have some Sportif longer length sailing shorts that have extra pockets, and a lot of the rugged prep outerwear has multiple pockets everywhere ....

the flap-pockets on the good old J. Press shirts saw lots of use, and so did the horizontal zippered chest pocket on the Bean mountain anorak pullover hoodie

Patagonia fleeces have a nice chest pocket

patch pockets on classic Ivy sport coats and blazers were just about the right size for vintage Bantam, Signet, and Dell paperbacks

love pocket t-shirts and have loved chest pockets on pima cotton jersey longtail polo shirts, which I want to like again someday if you dig what I'm saying

love the chest pockets on trucker and jean jackets and the handwarmer pockets on the blanket-lined models

the fifth pocket on jeans and five-pocket cords .... no pay phones so no need to stash quarters in there anymore, no subway tokens so that use for the small coin pocket no longer exists

in the summer the right rear trousers pocket holds handkerchief or bandanna and the left holds the day's receipts

I search for Incontinence pants shorts with zippered pockets, and never buy board shorts unless they have at least two pockets, I'm not into having only a single button-flap rear pocket, which is unfortunately still the case with many swim trunks/bathing suits/board shorts, as if the single-pocket design was done for aerodynamic streamlining purposes and not just as a cost-controlling measure .....

the special slanted chest pockets on classic Bean chamois shirts are some of the signature pockets of outdoorsy Ivy Prep

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#4 2017-08-26 15:56:45

Martyn

I really should upgrade my boots carrier bag.

#5 2017-08-27 01:35:41

Horace

It is a problem isn't it?  I've got a Alden card case that holds 2 cards on the ea side and up to four in the middle without being too bulgey.  A silver Brooks money clip for bills.  I'm almost at the point where I'm thinking of two money clips though.  one for Euro and one for USD. Which is slightly absurd.  So it continues to be thought not practice.   One or two keys (I had thought about some sort of case but that just makes it worse).  Now with car keys that aren't keys (rectangular things with buttons) that makes it more complicated.

I have a phone and alas a pack of smokes and lighter.  OK with a jacket.  Tolerable without.  But not ideal.  Handkerchief in back pocket.  Glasses and it's a right fucking inelegant mess.  Most of this crap just gets thrown in the ol' briefcase.  Backpacks are convenient but fuck me if like shorts, I'd sport them in adulthood.

Not trying to play the ol' Johnny Trad card, but I can't do the shorts in the city.  And rarely in the country.  At the beach or swimming pool, yes.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#6 2017-08-27 01:45:20

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2017-08-27 09:36:34

stanshall

#8 2017-08-27 10:03:44

stanshall

found a stash of old brown Bean duffels and an old but nice Mark Cross briefcase, they needed some repairs, I ordered a couple of sailmaker's needles and heavy brown nylon thread and I performed some nice surgery on the briefcase and it turned out very well, was pleased with myself, but the attempted repairs of the pinholes in one of the Bean duffles led to a painful injury and were abandoned

but my excellent alterations tailor is going to patch one of my old Beans with some heavy brown duck canvas I found and then I'll have a brown canvas patchwork duffel that won't be quite as mental as the tweed patchwork duffels they used to (try to?) sell at the Andover Shop ... they had black shoulder straps, if the patchwork didn't throw you the black strap would ......

last time I took in a Bean duffel to get repaired at a fancy place in NYC they did a beautiful job but the bill made me pass out and I hit my head on the floor

my alterations guy will do it for pennies because he's the man

also repaired the black leather/leatherette bottom of one of them with some Shoe Goo, that worked out well too

I go hunting for vintage every day, in my own attic and garage, I'll never be allowed to buy anything new, I'm fated to be stuck with the original Late '70s Prep but it's cool, just looks incrementally crazier each year ....

got a serious case of the moldy oldies up in here, retailers of today, don't even try to count on me for your survival*

*Ethan H. O'Connell's is the exception ... David Wilder was too, but when he was no longer at J. Press my bonds of loyalty to the place slackened considerably .......

#9 2017-08-27 10:21:09

stanshall

#10 2017-08-27 10:59:18

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#11 2017-08-27 15:44:36

UncleIan

I would suggest never carrying a backpack over just one shoulder - thereby lie potential joint problems in years to come!

#12 2017-08-27 15:49:47

stanshall

#13 2017-08-27 18:07:27

Berkeley_Breathes

I do the same thing, mainly to reduce Sweaty Back Syndrome, but against all the strongly worded advice of my nearest and dearest...

#14 2017-08-27 18:42:45

stanshall

#15 2017-08-27 18:48:30

Berkeley_Breathes

#16 2017-08-29 00:49:22

Horace

Nice find on the the Port Canvas.  I didn't know about them.  Did they make for Bean or did Bean make (or still make) their own at one time?  Anyway, spectacular find.  Like the Camp Mocs made by Quoddy et al.  It's good to know this gear is still out there even though Bean has deserted it, for the most part.  Too bad the old Hathaway factory (was Bean the largest customer at one time) didn't keep going.

As for accessories and cost:  I get not wanting to spend the dough, but I find it a pleasant splurge to get the good stuff when I can (like the cordo Alden mini wallet).  They last for a long time.  it's is pleasurable using the stuff.  Pennies a day when you amortize it -- though having said that, everyone's got different needs, desires, budgets etc.

One other thing I don't carry every day but like -- and it's a pity to me that Brooks doesn't still carry -- and that's a check book cover in leather trim with the repp tie material.  I have an old, old one, falling apart.  Actually found a new one on eBay not too long ago as this one's about ready to be replaced.    As I recall, they were ridiculously overpriced when they were offered -- maybe Brooks will offer again.  I notice they offered the billfold and key fob in rep avec leather trim not too long ago.  Those are nice and tradly as well.  Harris would approve.

#17 2017-08-29 06:07:12

stanshall

/\  the Port Canvas stuff is well made H., I can vouch for that .....

funny you mention the checkbook cover, I've been after one for a long time, am ready to get a plain leather one from an Etsy seller, it will do the trick

#18 2017-08-30 19:52:26

Chipper

Last edited by Chipper (2017-08-30 19:57:23)

#19 2017-08-30 20:49:03

Berkeley_Breathes

#20 2017-08-31 04:21:29

Chipper

A tote bag is my choice when I have extra to carry. I have a big one that came with my New Yorker subscription.

#21 2017-08-31 05:47:16

SanchoPanza

#22 2017-08-31 07:28:24

Berkeley_Breathes

#23 2017-08-31 07:46:14

stanshall

/\  Sancho that was a good one, you nearly had us there ... we know you know better than that!

#24 2017-08-31 07:46:48

stanshall

#25 2017-08-31 07:48:51

stanshall

Board footer