You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Non-vintage patch pocket jacket options?

#1 2017-08-27 06:51:17

Treble Clef

Non-vintage patch pocket jacket options?

#2 2017-08-27 08:33:08

McGeorge Bundyburger

Re: Non-vintage patch pocket jacket options?

#3 2017-08-27 09:42:21

Treble Clef

They look great, thanks for the tip. I will drop them an email to see what they have planned for winter / in stock.

Still, any other recommendations welcome!

#4 2017-08-27 11:01:45

Berkeley_Breathes

Hate the lapels on that Keydge. Maybe it's just the styling for that photo but that jacket looks terrible...

I'm curious about why you're looking? Durability, longevity, curiosity? No judgment, just wondering...

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#5 2017-08-27 14:33:43

Treble Clef

I'm looking to upgrade one I have from GAP of all places which is years old. Haven't had much luck though.

I agree the JKeydge lapels look off, I think it's the oversize shirt collar though.

#6 2017-08-27 18:11:12

An Unseen Scene

There are loads out there, depends how purist you want to be. Ic replacing Gap then nit too puist and easy to find. The Orvis washed cotton jackets are a great start right now.

#7 2017-08-27 18:14:10

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#8 2017-08-27 20:57:10

Sidewinder

#9 2017-08-27 22:24:23

Berkeley_Breathes

Thanks Sidewinder... and of course there's the point that it's worth picking up one in good shape for that price and then investing in any repairs you might need down the road because as you say the quality out of the gate is already so much higher...

#10 2017-08-28 04:31:46

Treble Clef

Thanks for the further responses and discussion.

I'm specifically interested in the forums view of any other new retail options as I already semi-regularly check the usual places (physical shops in London, eBay, Etsy etc) for 'vintage' offerings. As I don't require the real deal unlike some members (which is cool of course!), something new would be fine for me. If money was no object it would be the Brooks Brothers one I linked!

#11 2017-08-28 09:14:13

Berkeley_Breathes

#12 2017-08-28 12:06:13

An Unseen Scene

Give it a few weeks and there will be AW17 herringbone wool jackets everywhere at all price points, many with Ivy details (but likely not all in one item).  Look out for forthcoming John Lewis or even M&S range which will not be expensive and reasonable quality.  If replacing Gap at a similar price point check out such as Universal Works, Boden, Massimo Dutti, Uniqlo then at next price point Barbour's tailored jackets, Gant, Lands End, Orvis etc. 

I have not bought from them but USA originated labels such as Banana Republic or J.Crew are worth tracking I guess.  I have never found fit I like but Charles Tyrwhitt did an awesome herringbone jacket at the price point last year and Jaeger had their 3/2 roll indigo patch picket jacket last year that I bought and was great.  Definitely worth checking and forthcoming ranges for all mentioned soon.  Scotch and Soda as with Beams plus will often adopt Ivy aspects to their jackets.

Fabric is key choice - wool will be great for coming colder winter, canvas good all rounder, anything with linen best for summer on the whole.

Hardy & Johnson is best balance of quality, price and Ivy features.  The other options mentioned are ace but unless vintage you have implied too expensive.  A decent patch pocket, proper Tweed should be available at around £225 for winter in a few weeks or online now from last year stock. 

Other great options if in London - visit John Simons for their one off vintage and J.Keyge or T.Burrows nearby for their ones.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-08-28 13:34:34)

#13 2017-08-28 12:57:07

Treble Clef

#14 2017-08-28 13:15:13

An Unseen Scene

I find the web is only so useful. You need to see the jackets before buying and try them if you can.  Lots of great tailors or menswear places are barely on the web at all.  The postage return fees on jackets mount up quickly.

For just a bit over your budget this ticks the boxes nicely:

http://harristweedco.co.uk/Barutti_Refine_Harris_Tweed_Jacket_in_charcoal_herringbone-2-4-P

Or for a blue:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/highland-tweed-casual-jacket/2m56

Best of luck in your searches.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-08-28 13:22:50)

#15 2017-08-28 13:17:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

A good summary there Unseen, if you are prepared to bend a little on the 'prescribed' Ivy details then your options are much wider. I say prescribed because some six decades after the boom years a list of must haves for a natural shoulder jacket has been arrived at, mainly by people on internet fora. In reality there were always darts, two button fronts and side vents on some makers offerings and I'm sure that no one poked fun at the people who wore them either.

Me ... I remain totally brainwashed.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#16 2017-08-28 13:58:34

Treble Clef

Thanks for those further options.

I agree the best way is to try something on and see the fabric in natural light or with a favourite pair of trousers. Being based in London is useful but I am happy to swallow UK returns. Less keen on 'buying blind' from the Japanese or USA makers.

#17 2017-08-28 14:22:13

Berkeley_Breathes

#18 2017-08-28 14:28:00

Berkeley_Breathes

#19 2017-08-28 14:36:54

Babbling Brooks

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#20 2017-08-28 14:52:32

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#21 2017-09-09 10:11:16

Treble Clef

For those with deep pockets who want an extra pocket:

https://www.kafka.co.uk/item/31624/Monitaly/Patch-Pocket-Blazer-Harris-Tweed-Herringbone-Black.html

I got a couple herringbone numbers from Hardy & Johnson as recommended on here. Cut and details are pretty much perfect and great service as well. I got my usual tagged size but *may* size down or get my usual tagged size tailored.

#22 2017-09-09 10:29:13

An Unseen Scene

Drakes also make relevant stunning jackets but are equally high price.

John Lewis had some nice own label jackets today.

H&J was a great choice.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-09-09 10:31:22)

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Non-vintage patch pocket jacket options?

Board footer