You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-06 04:52:13

An Unseen Scene

Whose classic mac/raincoat?

Hi everyone, if buying a non-vintage raincoat in the mac style - whose would you buy?  What's your preferred colour, fabric, style (mac/trench etc)?

#2 2017-09-06 07:52:44

Pennies_and_Oxfords

Re: Whose classic mac/raincoat?

Assuming money wasn't a thing, J. Press. I'm partial to a single-breasted Raincoat style. To me, it's just THE Ivy raincoat. But alas, it is a thing, so I'd go with Uniqlo. Cheap, has navy and khaki, but it's made of polyester. But hey, at about an eighth or ninth of the price of the J. Press one, it would work fine. Of course, I already have a London Fog so...

36R | 15/32 | 32x29.5 | EU42 | 7 3/8

#3 2017-09-06 08:00:33

An Unseen Scene

My dillema, is what is credible and in the middle range of price?   I looked at Brooks Brothers and the price was not too bad in UK for once.
Aquascutum is now Japanese and their macs appear to be going the Barracuta route, which is a shame.  Their slightly older ones sold in Burlington Arcade at reduced price are not a bad option..

I've got lots of macs that are good but for a definitive one at right price it's hard to pick.

I like classic brands so Grenfell, even Mackintosh itself are options.  Bugatti looked good but were heavy in polyester content. Some companies, especially newer ones charge a fortune for a basic mac which I do not think is justified  (I'm looking at you Private White and others).

However using a mac continually on trains, in cities - they end up being impacted by that use and do not last forever which means a top end coat is a waste of time.  Taking me back to that mid price level - hopefully of treated or bonded cotton rather than polyester as you say. 

I'm wearing a thin Paul Smith polyester one today that looks great that I picked up very cheaply in a TKMaxx and is just for shower cover.  But I've got an itch to get some macs for the coming season that are good as the other areas of my wardrobe now, I just can't find what I want here in UK.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-09-06 08:12:32)

#4 2017-09-06 08:25:17

Berkeley_Breathes

Here in the US you can get one from London Fog for less than $150... I have LF too Pennies, a new trench coat and overcoat and a vintage mac, and I like them a lot... Is there a reason you don't want to go there Unseen?

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#5 2017-09-06 08:41:42

An Unseen Scene

I had always assumed LF isn't available in UK - I have never seen it anywhere.

However I see after reading your email and googling that they are available via Amazon in UK - which is a shock!

Might be a good route for me and others.  How does the sizing come up on them now?  The vintage ones I have to go down two sizes (USA sizes being one up from UK ones plus they were roomy coats).

I find it galling to pay a lot for a mac only for it to look shabby after a season or two of use in London, on trains etc.

Good to see they have short coats too, I do not like a mac that is past my knees.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2017-09-06 08:45:00)

#6 2017-09-06 09:32:38

MCM Geography Teacher

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#7 2017-09-06 10:15:19

Pennies_and_Oxfords

^ Yep, that's the one. A pretty close match to LF, I say.

36R | 15/32 | 32x29.5 | EU42 | 7 3/8

#8 2017-09-06 10:25:31

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#9 2017-09-06 11:33:09

Treble Clef

Mackintosh if you have the money... The new ones are a slimmer fit then people on here generally like but still a good length. I picked up a Loro Piana wool one which is showerproof.

https://dicks-edinburgh.co.uk/collections/mackintosh/products/mackintosh-gm-001f-wool-storm-system-raincoat-in-grey

Last edited by Treble Clef (2017-09-06 13:02:06)

#10 2017-09-06 12:15:45

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2017-09-06 12:16:31)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#11 2017-09-06 12:35:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#12 2017-09-06 12:58:39

Treble Clef

If you don't mind a short one London Undercover (usually make umbrellas) are decent and made in England:

https://londonundercover.co.uk/shop/raincoats

#13 2017-09-06 13:35:56

Treble Clef

Cordings as well for a more classic style, lining is a bit 'country' though. https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/mackintosh

#14 2017-09-06 14:04:44

Kingston1an

Most people do not wear raincoats or overcoats these days.

So manufacturers do not offer as many as in the past.

'Non vintage' is the difficulty in this thread. There are plenty of good bargains in the second hand market.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#15 2017-09-07 04:30:50

Lefty Banks

The only 'non vintage' mac I have is a John Simons single breasted navy mac, really good slim fit, perfect length but now sadly discontinued, got mine on ebay. I like the current Mackintosh range, but the prices are properly brutal.

Burberry  and Aquascutum are still dependable I guess, but like every other 'heritage' brand you could name from Trickers to Rolex  - Brooks goes without saying - they seem in a rush to throw their actual heritage out the window in an attempt to woo new markets of cashed-up customers, which I suppose is their perogative. Plenty of good condition great Burberry available reasonably second hand that will look good and last for ever.

Board footer