You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-31 10:36:28

Tommy

Re: Baseball cap

I think he might have a US stockist, John seems quite approachable through my correspondence with him online so in might be worth dropping him a line?

#27 2021-10-10 05:18:38

A Fine Sadness

Noticed 'baseball' caps on sale at Chiltern Street.  Like Patrick, my late father used to wear one for fishing.  I thrifted a couple of USA-made examples when I was running my short-lived 'Americana' stall and they sold.  In England, however, the 'baseball' cap still has some highly dubious connotations, whether worn frontwards or backwards.  Team one with your hooded sweatshirt and you'll look like the friendly neighbourhood crystal meth dealer waiting while your bull terrier takes a crap on someone's doorstep.

#28 2021-11-27 03:32:00

A Fine Sadness

I'm thinking of buying one.  Never thought I would but I want something that will give a thoroughly American look to this Midland (not 'Little') Englander.  Like Patrick, my late father wore one when sitting for hours on some damp patch of grass with rod and reel: baseball cap, USA-made RL polo shirt, Levis, Nunn Bush boat shoes.  He just liked the look and wore the clothing for practicality and comfort - no posing.

#29 2021-11-27 04:00:57

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

AFS thinking of getting a basebal cap? I’m nonplussed by this break with tradition, I can only compare it with my surprise at finding that they now sell pint glasses of beer in The French House - haha!

I think ball caps are fine with a casual outfit, they look a bit odd with a mac or an overcoat though.

Two brands I have found to be excellent are Ebbets Field and The Ideal Cap Co. Both USA made and come with shipping charges etc, but worth it. Firstly the quality is excellent, secondly they don’t have the gap at the back with adjustable strap because they are sized and this looks much better (they run true to size). You will have something different to the herd wearing ball caps with Puma or NYC written on the front.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#30 2021-11-27 04:58:44

Runninggeez

I have a 20 year old sun bleached Red Sox Franchise cap "The Perfect Fit", only worn on sunny days and holidays to protect the old Swede.

#31 2021-11-27 05:15:35

Spendthrift

I’ve got a couple of Blue Marlin retro ball caps knocking around for holidays and such. Black Sox and Brooklyn Negro League. Kind of relegated them to the ‘too old for’ box. Two wool mix, plain navy blue and plain grey for weather like today. Look ok with jeans, boots, decent sweatshirt or heavy knitwear and body warmer. Casual and necessary for us baldies.
I do prefer low profile ones with a slight curved brim. Can’t get on with the straight brims at all.

#32 2021-11-27 05:54:28

RobbieB

in the UK i've only got a Toronto Blue Jays hat, 28 years old  and bought by a mate for my 40th birthday. When I lived in Canada I was a fan. I wore lots over there.
in Finland I have quite a few that I wear for fishing and working in the forest. I suffer from an eye condition with light sensitivity and optician recommends I wear peaked hats and dark glasses so a ball cap does the job.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#33 2021-11-27 11:49:52

Staxfan

I have an Orvis wax cap bought & used for walking the shaggy dogs, ideal ,

#34 2021-12-21 03:46:48

A Fine Sadness

Still pondering this one, especially after clocking late-middle-aged dog walkers on Sunday afternoon.  All wearing caps with adjustable straps.  It'll depend entirely on price/where made/fabric etc.

Board footer