You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-02 15:23:43

Worried Man
Member
From: Davebrubeckistan
Posts: 15951

Re: Club collar?

I hardly see proper fedoras being worn.  I mostly see trilbies being worn these days.  Either way, they are usually worn with very casual clothing by "deliver the pizza to my mom's basement" types.

I get the perception of the hat has changed with time.  I guess I just wish it hadn't, because I still think in essence it looks great with the dressier side of the Ivy spectrum.


"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

 

#27 2017-11-02 15:26:51

Worried Man
Member
From: Davebrubeckistan
Posts: 15951

Re: Club collar?

Tommy wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

If you (general you) wear a fedora, you're wrong. I don't give a shit if your whole look is the 1955 look, the fedora stopped being cool when Kennedy stopped wearing one, and after that Sinatra was the last Honorary Fedora-Wearer. And even he stopped after the 1960s... Now that it's acceptable to be bald no guy has an excuse for wearing a hat.

Why is this?  I feel like the fedora is a handsome way to top off a great outfit, or tie it together.  Sort of like a tie.  In certain weather conditions it's also quite practical.  And I have two really nice Dobbs - a felt and a Panama - but I just can't bring myself to wear them.  The stigma and anachronism is just too much, even for me, and probably also the fear that I'll be the center of attention in any public setting.  But looking at the pics of Frank, or those in the '30s - '40s thread, the hats just look great to me with the clothes.

See I could see you wearing one in a band shot, but only really you and your front woman have quite the right look. Maybe it Leon Bridges asked you to guest on one of his records. I doubt he'd do that though, not because your not a great drummer, but because you'd outdo him in the rise of your pants.

I don't think his image could recover from that.

HAHAHA.  I think he actually has us all beat in the rise dept.  And I recon his hat has become sort of a trademark for him?  But see, as soon as you say, "wear it in a band shot" it just becomes affectation, like Berke was saying. 

Here we're turning the thread into a fedora thread.  Let's move on....


"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

 

#28 2017-11-02 15:36:50

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11014

Re: Club collar?

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

stanshall wrote:

/\  don't forget the Krueger effect.

I think that fits under #1, surely.

I learned this today:

--> Freddy Krueger is an amalgamation of Wes Craven’s childhood terrors.

“Freddy” was the name of a bully who beat Craven up in elementary school, and his signature hat was based on one worn by a neighborhood drunk who scared Craven when he was young.

--> Freddy’s sweater is scientifically scary.

Craven designed Freddy’s striped sweater after reading in Scientific American that the human eye has difficulty recognizing those particular shades of red and green side by side. Therefore, looking at it is subliminally unsettling.

------------


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#29 2017-11-02 15:42:03

Tommy
Member
Posts: 1585

Re: Club collar?

Worried Man wrote:

Tommy wrote:

Worried Man wrote:


Why is this?  I feel like the fedora is a handsome way to top off a great outfit, or tie it together.  Sort of like a tie.  In certain weather conditions it's also quite practical.  And I have two really nice Dobbs - a felt and a Panama - but I just can't bring myself to wear them.  The stigma and anachronism is just too much, even for me, and probably also the fear that I'll be the center of attention in any public setting.  But looking at the pics of Frank, or those in the '30s - '40s thread, the hats just look great to me with the clothes.

See I could see you wearing one in a band shot, but only really you and your front woman have quite the right look. Maybe it Leon Bridges asked you to guest on one of his records. I doubt he'd do that though, not because your not a great drummer, but because you'd outdo him in the rise of your pants.

I don't think his image could recover from that.

HAHAHA.  I think he actually has us all beat in the rise dept.  And I recon his hat has become sort of a trademark for him?  But see, as soon as you say, "wear it in a band shot" it just becomes affectation, like Berke was saying. 

Here we're turning the thread into a fedora thread.  Let's move on....

Ok, I'll try to stay on topic, I actually found a picture of Leon with a collar bar, but otherwise it was such a car crash of a look I thought I'd get reported for trolling...

I would be genuinely interested to see links to modern club collars with a classic fit.

 

#30 2017-11-02 15:54:17

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: Rick's Cafe Americain
Posts: 1370

Re: Club collar?

Worried Man wrote:

I hardly see proper fedoras being worn.  I mostly see trilbies being worn these days.  Either way, they are usually worn with very casual clothing by "deliver the pizza to my mom's basement" types.

I get the perception of the hat has changed with time.  I guess I just wish it hadn't, because I still think in essence it looks great with the dressier side of the Ivy spectrum.

Agreed on both counts.


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

 

#31 2017-11-02 15:55:53

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: Rick's Cafe Americain
Posts: 1370

Re: Club collar?

Tommy wrote:

I would be genuinely interested to see links to modern club collars with a classic fit.

I would too. I'll keep my eye out. I've seen some on The Sartorialist in the past, I think.


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

 

#32 2017-11-02 16:08:07

Worried Man
Member
From: Davebrubeckistan
Posts: 15951

Re: Club collar?

A shame Mercer doesn't offer it.


"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

 

#33 2017-11-02 16:20:10

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: Rick's Cafe Americain
Posts: 1370

Re: Club collar?

Worried Man wrote:

A shame Mercer doesn't offer it.

It is a shame... Almost worth asking what the cost would be for a one-off (provided it's not $WeDon'tDoThat.00). Although as Coolidge points out, Brooks offers it custom. And so does the site you passed along.


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

 

#34 2017-11-02 19:00:36

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11014

Re: Club collar?

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

stanshall wrote:

had a couple of club collars from Japes back in the day, blue oxford and white oxford cloths, flap pockets, wore them out to frayedness in the '80s, by then they were no longer available  .....

an old-fashioned look to be sure ... archaic, even ......

nice that Brooks can make them for you guys, reassuring .....

Sinatra looks alright in his club collar

but nobody rocked the club-collar look like Alfalfa:

http://uploads.neatorama.com/images/pos … 6054-0.jpg

check it out, he's got the bowtie, club collar, and suspenders (not going to call them "braces," don't worry), Alfalfa was fully proto-Ivy, like F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bullshit. He's clearly dressed by Thom Browne.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com … 00_AL_.jpg

quite right, Alfalfa might well have worn this Thom Browne club collar shirt:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2116/6979/products/THOM-BROWNE-Size-L-White-Cotton-Long-Sleeve-Club-Collar-Shirt_71770A_480x480_crop_center.jpg?v=1508358100

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2116/ … center.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#35 2017-11-02 20:39:26

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: Rick's Cafe Americain
Posts: 1370

Re: Club collar?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTc5MjY5MjY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDMzODM2._V1_UY1200_CR117,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

 

#36 2017-11-02 21:55:01

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11014

Re: Club collar?

http://40.media.tumblr.com/7315fe76fa227a9bde36a5af2132c09c/tumblr_n6beftjbiU1qzgwh4o1_500.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#37 2017-11-11 21:34:31

Berkeley_Breathes
Moderator
From: Rick's Cafe Americain
Posts: 1370

Re: Club collar?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/5b811e6e56571efdb4cfaa70b31419ed/tumblr_owq50wdu7a1r1mdsgo1_1280.jpg


Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

Blog: https://rehearsingtheblues.blogspot.com/

 

#38 2017-11-13 15:04:11

stanshall
Moderator
From: Gilligan's Island
Posts: 11014

Re: Club collar?

oxymoron:

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/275_j_press_round_point_collar.jpg


"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

 

#39 2017-11-13 18:48:33

Pennies_and_Oxfords
Member
From: Singapore, Land of Heatwaves
Posts: 116

Re: Club collar?

A close one is the Vintage Ivy collection at Kamakura. The jacked up the price ten bucks, but it's a tab-club collar. I guess if you don't dig the collar bar, the tab would work.


36R | 15/32 | 32x29.5 | EU42 | 7 3/8

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson