You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-29 05:51:17

Vladimir C. Stanojevic

The Men Who Peaked Too Soon

(with apologies to Tom Wolfe)

The hideous beauty inherent in the idea of wearing a formal shirt with bow-tie/blazer/chinos/duck shoes has got me a-thinking over morning coffee...

What was the ugliest, most abusive, transgressive riff on the Trad/Preppy/Ivy cannon you ever wore to what you thought was your everlasting shame and embarrassment only to be stunned to see it taken-up by Ralph/Brooks/J. Crew/A&F/ etc. 10-15-20 years later?

Mine must have been Spring '94, the final final of my final 21 hour senior semester - tucked Brooks white OCBD, M1981 woodland BDUs (my sweatpants substitutes), boat shoes (sock-less, natch), and a PRL NAVY BLAZER - utterly disheveled and bathed in Safari.

Hey! I was shivering cold from sleep deprivation and caffeine poisoning when I got to campus and it was the only thing to be found in the car capable of providing any warmth.

At least I had the good sense to pop the collar.

People stared.

Slack-jawed.

Of course, this sort of look has been on the runways, websites, and in the magazines a couple of times since.

Your turn...

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

#2 2017-11-29 10:18:56

MCM Geography Teacher

Re: The Men Who Peaked Too Soon

Crazy!

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#3 2017-11-29 11:00:29

Berkeley_Breathes

https://dcairns.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/vlcsnap-2017-10-06-22h26m50s8842.jpg

The worst part of that is the popped collar... and the Safari. At least the BDUs were woodland... If they didn't have cargo pockets they'd really just be extremely GTH pants... I would have worn a blue OCBD though...

As a mod, I of course have never worn anything less than tasteful. That's how you get this job. wink And I would hope that any mistakes I have dared to wear in public have remained uniquely awful, not to be appropriated and legitimized by Ralph etc....

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#4 2017-11-30 06:25:00

Vladimir C. Stanojevic

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

The worst part of that is the popped collar... and the Safari. At least the BDUs were woodland... If they didn't have cargo pockets they'd really just be extremely GTH pants... I would have worn a blue OCBD though...

Worst?

No, no, no - ironically, self-referentially, deconstructed in a proto, neo-hipster-ish sort of way.

See? We even invented that...

Safari?

Pish.

Posh.

Wrote the noob...

The original Safari was, along with the original Givenchy Gentleman ("liberated" from my father), one of the greatest "this shirt is stale, I am stale" cover-ups of all times. They both seemed to work with and not against the stench, somehow...

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

As a mod, I of course have never worn anything less than tasteful. That's how you get this job. wink And I would hope that any mistakes I have dared to wear in public have remained uniquely awful, not to be appropriated and legitimized by Ralph etc....

I, for one, never for once lost faith in you my liege...

"Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."

- Gore Vidal

Board footer